Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Twin Peaks

But it feels misanthropic and soul-sucking. Left a lot of people feeling like shit, I’m sure, and that’s going to linger for days. Perhaps there’s a conjuring here of some kind, and I don’t like it and will do my best to shake it off and reject it. But I invested a lot of hours in that series, only to get sucker-punched by a guy who apparently holds me in contempt for liking “Twin Peaks.” It’s perverse.
    This part is ridiculous. Why is it a filmmaker's job to make the audience feel "good"? Go watch some life-affirming dramedy if that's what you're looking for. The more I think about it, the more I love how The Return ended.

these days just seem to crush me
    I don't know, Cooper's "I am the FBI!" with the nostalgic music from the old twin peaks playing in the background, sure felt like Lynch was trolling the audience. (I kid, kind of)

but when you remove aspects of the original series people loved (AGENT COOPER, the Music, etc) of course people are going to feel like Lynch is giving a 'fuck you' to the audience. though i would say it feels more like he didn't give a shit about the original series.

This series was a mess. And 'bob' defeated by the green glove "this is my destiny!" BS. come ON! THE most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Though surprisingly, i didn't hate the ending. I don't get why people feel "it was all a dream". i think of it more as time travel/multiple timelines happening. But I dunno. I don't want to put too much thought into it.

I feel like i need to watch season 1 and 2 to help bleach this series from my brain. i have zero desire to watch it again.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    So I mentioned before that I got to a certain point and then said "no thank you" to the rest of the series. I stand by that. At the end of the day I found the first seven episodes (or thereabouts) of The Return deeply boring. And frequently acutely annoying. And rarely satisfying to any significant degree. And I feel no desire to watch what I missed. But last night I ended up watching the final two episodes after reading the mixed reactions here piqued my curiosity, and I actually kind of liked them.

You have to accept, I believe, that the story is actually senseless, doesn't mean anything, and there's no magic decoder, because there is nothing to decode, it's all an acid trip basically, or a fever dream. I guess I figured that out in episode 1 of The Return... that all these old and new threads were never going to connect, and if they do in Lynch's mind, he will never share how, and if he does share, it will be way after my attention span for the material has long since moved to a far off country. Fundamentally, that's bad (or, at least frustrating) storytelling, IMO, but it's part of the deal here.

But I thought the last two episodes had momentum and held my interest. It was nice to see Coop reconnect with the Twin Peaks crew.

I would still very much like to set on fire my memory of that horrible scene with Michael Cera.
    Last edited by grapefruit_is_winning; 09-11-2017 at 04:48 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    I would still very much like to set on fire my memory of that horrible scene with Michael Cera.
    Dude, yes. I still can't believe people have singled that dreck out as a highlight. Also, Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg need to DIAF.

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    And btw... I actually think the show was really well done in a lot of ways, despite sounding so negative about it. The videos at the end of the episodes are my favorite invention of the series. I love that he did that, really cool idea, and really well done -- great music! Cool bands I thought. The episode with the bomb and the girl swallowing the worm... amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    but when you remove aspects of the original series people loved (AGENT COOPER, the Music, etc) of course people are going to feel like Lynch is giving a 'fuck you' to the audience. though i would say it feels more like he didn't give a shit about the original series.
    People were pissed off when FWWM came out for very similar reasons, and 25 years later people are pissed off again. I feel like, do you have any idea who David Lynch is? Anyone who was expecting something that played by the normal rules really shouldn't have bothered getting on board at all. I deliberately didn't have any expectations going in because Lynch is notorious for doing his own thing no matter how frustrating or random it seems. So sure, there is an element of disappointment at not seeing my favourite characters doing what they do best, but really I have the DVDs if I need to see that, and what we got instead was completely amazing in its own unique and unexpected way.

This series was a mess. And 'bob' defeated by the green glove "this is my destiny!" BS. come ON! THE most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
    And here lies the dilemma. No conclusion to something twenty five years old was ever going to live up to the years of hype and speculation. You're criticising Lynch for not providing a resolution overall but at the same time targeting the things that actually did get wrapped up. This is why I prefer the open ended WTF ending - we can have years more of theories and discussions about it and come up with our own answers rather than the overall equivalent of Bob getting killed by a rubber glove.
    Last edited by JAE; 09-11-2017 at 05:12 PM.

these days just seem to crush me
    Quote Originally Posted by JAE View Post
    People were pissed off when FWWM came out for very similar reasons, and 25 years later people are pissed off again. I feel like, do you have any idea who David Lynch is? Anyone who was expecting something that played by the normal rules really shouldn't have bothered getting on board at all. I deliberately didn't have any expectations going in because Lynch is notorious for doing his own thing no matter how frustrating or random it seems. So sure, there is an element of disappointment at not seeing my favourite characters doing what they do best, but really I have the DVDs if I need to see that, and what we got instead was completely amazing in its own unique and unexpected way.

And here lies the dilemma. No conclusion to something twenty five years old was ever going to live up to the years of hype and speculation. You're criticising Lynch for not providing a resolution overall but at the same time targeting the things that actually did get wrapped up. This is why I prefer the open ended WTF ending - we can have years more of theories and discussions about it and come up with our own answers rather than the overall equivalent of Bob getting killed by a rubber glove.
    "Do you have any idea who David Lynch is?" so then we as a twin peaks audience should assume that his pretentious, torturous, boring bullshit that are a staple of his movies would make its way into every episode and nearly every scene of the show? Why the glossy promotional photos with all the old twin peaks cast, and COOP as COOP and not some drooling idiot? There was a owl in the promos, was there even an owl shown in this series? There was a reason why there was no real clips from the actual show for promos, it was nothing like how they represented. I don't think it was too much to assume the show would have some semblance to the original series, with a focus on the original cast since it was promoted that way. So what if i wanted a scene with coop to be eating in the diner with a coffee and a slice of cherry pie!? Shame on me I guess. The best fucking scenes were with Sarah Palmer, i wonder why??

As for the glove, i think it was another slight to the audience. It would have been more palatable if it was Andy or James, but instead, they write in that some guy no one cares about swoops in and saves the day? I'm not looking for resolution, I'm looking for something in the spirit of the original series. But hey, i guess i just don't understand the brilliance behind a five minute scene of some french prostitute getting ready to leave a room, or the cleverness of a guy sweeping a bar-room floor. It's David Lynch, man. I guess I should have been expecting that shit!

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    Kyle MacLachlan retweeted this guy's theory saying "some interesting ideas" in here: https://www.waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/

I find it really fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    "Do you have any idea who David Lynch is?" so then we as a twin peaks audience should assume that his pretentious, torturous, boring bullshit that are a staple of his movies would make its way into every episode and nearly every scene of the show? Why the glossy promotional photos with all the old twin peaks cast, and COOP as COOP and not some drooling idiot? There was a owl in the promos, was there even an owl shown in this series? There was a reason why there was no real clips from the actual show for promos, it was nothing like how they represented. I don't think it was too much to assume the show would have some semblance to the original series, with a focus on the original cast since it was promoted that way. So what if i wanted a scene with coop to be eating in the diner with a coffee and a slice of cherry pie!? Shame on me I guess. The best fucking scenes were with Sarah Palmer, i wonder why??
    Those are marketing decisions and you can't blame the series for how it was advertised.

But hey, i guess i just don't understand the brilliance behind a five minute scene of some french prostitute getting ready to leave a room, or the cleverness of a guy sweeping a bar-room floor. It's David Lynch, man. I guess I should have been expecting that shit!
    Honestly? Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Kyle MacLachlan retweeted this guy's theory saying "some interesting ideas" in here: https://www.waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/

I find it really fascinating!
    Fascinating!

^ that is really interesting. it makes a lot of sense!