View Poll Results: What do you gravitate to more - the piano, the voice or the words?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Piano

39 59.09%
  • The Voice

8 12.12%
  • The Words

19 28.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Piano, The Voice or The Words?

The Piano, The Voice or The Words?

I've never seen this pole anywhere and I think it'll make for interesting opinions, debates, observations, etc.

without a doubt the piano - I know this might be controversial but I'm not a fan of Tori's voice...

There's something primal that arises when she plays. You watch and you listen and you know this woman has been doing this since before she was even a woman and you know that rather than "playing for you", she is actually communicating with the instrument, having a conversation, in some cases a spritely exchange, in other instances a tempestuous debate, but in all cases it's always something magical and other-dimensional and utterly mysterious.

Besides, I'll always remember when Tori gave an interview somewhere between the LE/UtP eras in which she stressed how much of her voice comes through the piano. How that was her "first true voice". She says a lot more through her playing than people give her credit for or even notice.
    Last edited by Fast Horse; 12-15-2010 at 02:29 PM.

1. The Piano
    2. The Words
    3. The Vocals

1- The Words
    2- The Piano
    3- The Vocals
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

^ Same here.

1. The Piano
    2. The Voice
    3. The Words

It changes quite frequently. With her earlier stuff it was definitely a combination of all three. I was drawn in by her lyrics first, though. That's what made me a fan. So I guess I'll go with Words.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Its actually really tough to choose between them, but I ended up voting for words, because while I had heard her voice and piano before and not taken much notice, it wasn't until I listened to the words and felt *understood* that I fell for Tori.

Banned
    1. The Piano
    2. The Words
    3. The Voice

Surrender, then start your engines OrenLovesTori's Avatar
    All of them! She is a rare combination indeed.
    I love her voice, with all its changes and nuances, breathing and whispering and screaming and especially that throaty growl and that high wailing. Her voice has a lot of harmony in my ears, in all its versions except the nasal voice (2005 live) and some of the baby voice. Her voice is definitely going downhill, though holding up far longer than I would've expected.
    I love her lyrics, with all the ambiguities and endless debates on what they really mean, and the ability to write tenderness and emotional vulnerability, and funny stuff, while sometimes writing scathing attacks like widow, cocaine and taxi ride. and the honesty in them. True that her lyrical output is not as strong as it used to be, maybe partly because she removed some of the ambiguity.
    And I love the piano. Who can avoid loving her piano composing and playing. Without the piano she would not be Tori Amos. Which is why I voted for it. The piano is less intricate than it used to be, but I'm quite sure she can bring it back, judging by live performances.

There are quite a few female singer songwrites with relatively high voices and (sometimes) beautiful lyrics. I love her voice better, I love her lyrics better, but I'v loved them all at times. Some I've been obsessed with in the past (esp. Kate). But none have reached T's musical talent, in the studio and even more strongly live, where she shines way above the rest. That piano has depths that keep the songs in loops in my head.
    Oh and the piece that turned me from a casual listener to an obsessed one was the long piano part in Horses. I've known her for years but never gave enough attention to realize the genius in LE and UTP (only ones I had), until Pele came my way by chance in 2000 and Horses was put in my CD player.

1. The Piano
    2. The Words
    3. The Vocals
    4. The Wigs

The words, since the very beginning.

Of course not every single song she writes can emotionally impact me, they can't all be Precious Things, so in those cases I guess the voice/piano prevails. Good lyrics help a song reach its full potential and do the most though, they are just the most powerful thing to me in the end.

It was a combination of the words and the voice that made me like her when I first heard Crucify and Winter. I only started paying attention to the piano later.
    Black Diamond finally confessed

I'm shocked that "The Voice" has been left in the dust by the other two. I do find solace in the fact that "The Piano" is winning