Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Desire?

A perfect album and the singles had some great b-sides. Sweeter Than Anything is one of my fave PJ songs.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    I remember I read some time ago, don't remember where, that PJ decided to redo Is This Desire? because she felt the album was too personal or something... Is this right, or is it just my memory playing games with me?
    I remember this too ... I think it was in an interview that was later compiled in 'Siren Rising.'

yeah, I can sort of hear how the album might have been remixed and retooled. That's probably why some of the live versions are so different.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Also, didn't she almost quit music during this period? I believe in the Q interview in 2001 she said she was going to give it up and do voluntary work in Africa. She was clearly going through a pretty tough time during this period; she started working on it in the spring of 1997 and it didn't come out until the autumn of 1998.

Chapter 7 of the Blandford biography has a surprising amount of detail about ITD. Supposedly, there are several early versions of it in the Island tape vaults.

That's interesting. I'd love to hear them; Polly has been pretty great about showing her demos but I guess it's up to her.

I still love every single thing about My Beautiful Leah. This song is one of her greatest. It's very short but it's so good that I don't even notice.

Other songs I love most are No Girl So Sweet, The Sky Lit Up and Angelene.

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    I know that I have said this is my favorite album, but now that [yesterday] I was discussing this album with another die-hard fan friend of mine, I think I have a clearer idea of what my conflict with this album is.

It sounds a little dated. Don't get me wrong, this will always be my favorite (although at times I feel like White Chalk's the best thing she's released since To Bring You My Love), but this album is as 90s as it gets. I wish the whole album had the production the remixed version of Elise has. The Wind could not have been a 1997 song (I know it was probably recorded back then, in 1997, but you know what I mean) and same goes for No Girl So Sweet, and The Garden- or 1999. These are 1998 songs. Which is good, except that was 13 years ago!

Maybe I need to reconnect with this little gem.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I know that I have said this is my favorite album, but now that [yesterday] I was discussing this album with another die-hard fan friend of mine, I think I have a clearer idea of what my conflict with this album is.

It sounds a little dated. Don't get me wrong, this will always be my favorite (although at times I feel like White Chalk's the best thing she's released since To Bring You My Love), but this album is as 90s as it gets. I wish the whole album had the production the remixed version of Elise has. The Wind could not have been a 1997 song (I know it was probably recorded back then, in 1997, but you know what I mean) and same goes for No Girl So Sweet, and The Garden- or 1999. These are 1998 songs. Which is good, except that was 13 years ago!

Maybe I need to reconnect with this little gem.
    reminds how badly she needs to release a collection, and a dvd collection with all the videos as well

I sort of get what Stone is saying, but it's not an issue for me. The album is very 1998, but it's also very good... so who cares? I'm sure people will say that (for example) St Vincent's albums sound "very 2000s" in about 10 years, but I'll probably still enjoy those. It's hard to make timeless music.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 01-07-2011 at 09:15 PM.

I actually think that for the most part everything she's done has held up incredibly well. Someone could put out TBYML today and it would sound fresh to me and it's 16 years old. Same with Dry actually. There's something about her music and her writing that is fresh and timeless at once. ITD? has some quintessentially '90s production but other than that her music is free of that feeling of being locked into a time period, to me anyway.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    do you really think the sounds of each of those years are that distinct? or i guess more specifically, what exactly about their sound or production makes them "1998 songs"?

I love all the references to Flannery O'Connor. This album is the perfect marriage of the two-- Harvey and O'Connor.

Quote Originally Posted by Loca View Post
    I love all the references to Flannery O'Connor. This album is the perfect marriage of the two-- Harvey and O'Connor.
    Yesssssssss. I was reading both Wiseblood and her short stories around the time of Desire and it enhanced the two for me exponentially.

Where can I find this Perfect Day Elise remix?