Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I watched the Stories from the Road documentary last night - great live footage and an insight into life on the road (for a fan). Didn't quite know what to make of Polly walking by at the hotel at the end and not stopping - did she know who they were? Did she even see them?

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I watched the Stories from the Road documentary last night - great live footage and an insight into life on the road (for a fan). Didn't quite know what to make of Polly walking by at the hotel at the end and not stopping - did she know who they were? Did she even see them?
    I took it as kind of a lost opportunity on their part. They said they shared a elevator with her and met her in the toilets and said nothing either time. Then when they did have the opportunity to talk to her they really made no effort to do so besides a "hi". I don't know, she is an intimidating person to approach but if you had done all that work I would have probably made more of an effort.

I would assume that she thought they were just people in the lobby waiting for a taxi and didn't think much of it.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    New PJ fan here, first time I heard the album was a few weeks ago. True story: when "You Said Something" started playing the song sounded so familiar to me that I immediately started searching for what artist she was covering! Oh the irony.

^ it was a single, so you may have heard it somewhere before.

Threat level: Bitch in a wheelchair andy's Avatar
    I just read this quote from Louise Bogan: "I cannot believe that the inscrutable universe turns on an axis of suffering; surely the strange beauty of the world must somewhere rest on pure joy!"

Sound familiar?

Hmm. Maybe. What of it?

They took the gay right out of me. Buelis's Avatar
    I think it's a shame that she now dismisses this album, but all the same I'm really glad that she didn't go down a route where she tried to replicate 'Stories' over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Philodendron View Post
    I'm really glad that she didn't go down a route where she tried to replicate 'Stories' over and over again.
    Another songwriter may have done just that and gained more commercial success because of it. But that's not our PJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Another songwriter may have done just that and gained more commercial success because of it. But that's not our PJ!
    And one songwriter might have done that and fell flat on her rims.

I think the fact she didn't try and do Stories Part II was the best thing she could have done in the long run. I don't think it even would have crossed her mind though, to be honest.

I think it was a worthy Mercury Music Prize winner and I think, ten years on, it would be lovely if she became the first person to win it twice with LES. I have a good feeling about it!

I think it was a worthy Mercury Music Prize winner and I think, ten years on, it would be lovely if she became the first person to win it twice with LES. I have a good feeling about it!
    Yay! It happened

Anyway, the real reason I am boosting this is because I listened to Stories again yesterday and really connected with it in a way I hadn't really before. Great guitar work, her voice is very sexy on it, and "Kamikaze" and "Horses In My Dreams," two songs I never paid as close attention to as some of the others, really leapt out at me.

Anyway, the real reason I am boosting this is because I listened to Stories again yesterday and really connected with it in a way I hadn't really before. Great guitar work, her voice is very sexy on it, and "Kamikaze" and "Horses In My Dreams," two songs I never paid as close attention to as some of the others, really leapt out at me.
    Awesome! I'm not ashamed to admit that I think Stories is an excellent album, even by Polly's standards, and was a worthy Mercury Music Prize winner. Stories also coincided with my first year in NYC. I moved there in August of 2000 and Stories came out Halloween night of that year and served as the definitive soundtrack to all of my urban exploits that year, so I have a very strong emotional bond with that album. The giddiness of Good Fortune, the romanticism of One Line, the anthemic power of Big Exit, the early-morning post-buzz hook-up of You Said Something, etc... all tied in with that year for me. I also got to catch three of the Stories shows, and each show was better than the next. Such a great era for Polly. LOVE Stories.

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    ^ i adore Stories. definitely one of my favorite albums by her (or anyone).

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    It's my 2nd favorite PJ album, and the show that I saw that tour was probably my ALL-TIME FAVORITE SHOW EVER!

I too have a strong bond with the album - whenever I was driving in the country by myself last year I'd listen to Stories really loudly and sing my heart out. I think that I enjoy it almost as much as the rest of her work, but in an entirely different manner.