Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Uh Huh Her

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    I haven't listened to White Chalk in ages. The Mountain was really the only song I went back and listened to a lot.

I played the hell out of Let England Shake the first year it was out, but I haven't gone back to it since really.

I would rank Uh Huh Her over those two. It has soooooooo many outstanding tracks on it. Yes it is uneven in places, but overall has some real gems on it.

Honestly, I'm in the same boat regarding UHH. I prefer it to Let England Shake. I'm not a huge fan of White Chalk, though. I respect it, for sure, but I think it's excruciating to listen to. The majority of it is nails on a chalk board for me.

I would rank the post-Stories albums like this I guess

White Chalk (did not like at first, but boy have I turned around)
    Uh Huh Her
    A Woman A Man Walked By
    Let England Shake

To be objective, I don't think LES is a bad album. But to me it has the same effect as reading someone's essay on the Anzac trenches. It just feels too cold and impersonal and I don't connect to her "character" here at all.

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    I get obsessed with the second half of this record a lot. Ditto White Chalk - those two run together as a wintertime playlist for me*

And I think Let England Shake is a masterpiece, and I actually listen to more of her work from the last ten years than the earlier stuff these days. I still love the earlier work, but I'm drawn to listen to it less than her later post-Stories period.

*I had a CD burned with half Uh Huh Her (starting with "You Come Through") and all of White Chalk, with her cover of "When Will I See You Again" bridging the two records, and it was the most awesome atmospheric sad and creepy record. I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    And I think Let England Shake is a masterpiece, and I actually listen to more of her work from the last ten years than the earlier stuff these days. I still love the earlier work, but I'm drawn to listen to it less than her later post-Stories period.
    Honestly it's the same for me. It's like a reverse of the Tori Amos effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    *I had a CD burned with half Uh Huh Her (starting with "You Come Through") and all of White Chalk, with her cover of "When Will I See You Again" bridging the two records, and it was the most awesome atmospheric sad and creepy record. I recommend it.
    I remember when you posted about that -- Darker Days/When Will See You/The Devil sounded so grand that it inspired me to make my own Uh Huh Her/White Chalk mix. I don't remember what it looked like but I think I put some Is This Desire stuff and b-sides on there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    I would rank the post-Stories albums like this I guess

White Chalk (did not like at first, but boy have I turned around)
    Uh Huh Her
    A Woman A Man Walked By
    Let England Shake

To be objective, I don't think LES is a bad album. But to me it has the same effect as reading someone's essay on the Anzac trenches. It just feels too cold and impersonal and I don't connect to her "character" here at all.
    i agree with this.I appreciate LES but im not fond of it because of these reasons.It is not just guitars,i adore White Chalk but i cant connect with LES.
    About UHH,it feels like a b-sides from previous albums but i rank Shame,You Come Through,Darker Days and Desperate Kingdom as one of her best materials.

edit: Not Badmouth,i meant Shame.
    Last edited by lovecraft; 05-07-2014 at 08:13 PM.

testosterone-laden drunken moogle Spikey's Avatar
    I realised it has been 10 years since Uh huh her was released this month. Time, could you be any faster? I gave it a special anniversary listen, and it is unbelievable how this never ever gets old. I like most individual songs from it, but they all sound better in the flow, they give each other so much power.

And then those superb B's. The Falling and Bows&Arrows are absolute favorites of mine.
    Ai, Tolosa e Provensa, e la terra d’Argensa, Besièrs e Carcassei, quo vos vi e quo'us vei!‎

My fav b-side is The Phone Song. I bought all the cd singles and 7" singles so I could get the b-sides.

2nd favourite polly album (first is Stories, sorry I'm a lolcasual Peej fan!) I've also had Pocket Knife in my head all morning. Also shit, really it's been 10 years? Huh. I always assumed it was a 2006ish album.

I can't believe it's been 10 years either. I remember this was the first 'new' PJ album I really got to experience after I really fell in love with her after Stories and I was so excited that I bought everything (the standard cd, deluxe cd, the vinyl, all the cd singles and 7" singles) and I travelled around Australia to see her live in different cities and it was such an experience. I'll never forget it. I remember at one show she was eyeballing me like she had recognised me from other shows and probably thought I was some stalker lol..

I do remember after one show a few fans waited outside the venue with stuff for her to sign and when she came out with her entourage she looked mortified to see the fans. They all said hi and she just looked down and kept walking and her guitarist told everyone to 'fuck off' and she stepped in to the car and they left.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    I remember buying UHH the day it was released at BestBuy. *memories*

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Love "Her". I love all the songs, the album art, Who The Fuck, No Child of Mine, the b-sides, all of it. It has such a super fresh feel to me... the whole package comes off like it was created in its entirety out of nothing one afternoon... completely spontaneous... The title Uh Huh Her is so darkly amusing to me. When she sings "I'm not like other girls, you can't straighten my curls!" on Who... I'm like, I feel you honey! There's a lot of punk energy in this album.

The two PJ albums that I go back to the least are Stories/Stories and Dance Hall. I don't even count Dance Hall really. It never really clicked for me. And Stories, I don't know, it's a fine album but perhaps a little monotonous, a little studied. It just doesn't breathe to me. Uh Huh Her is truly its polar opposite.

The phenomenal sequence of UHH - White Chalk - Let England Shake is as worthy of admiration as Pink - Pele - Choirgirl in my opinion.

God damn, PJ Harvey is one amazing artist.

This is probably one of my least favourite PJ albums - but I do love some songs. I even love Cat on the Wall which I know is not popular. But I love it so much!