Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rank the Albums!

I've owned all the albums for years. I love LES, but struggled with the rest. I need help from someone who knows Polly's work. Where should I start? Which albums should I focus on? Thanks for any help!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherman View Post
    I've owned all the albums for years. I love LES, but struggled with the rest. I need help from someone who knows Polly's work. Where should I start? Which albums should I focus on? Thanks for any help!
    Highest ranking albums in these parts I suspect to be To Bring You My Love and Is this desire?
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

If you only liked LES, I'd try with HSDP-UHH-Dry and then the rest. even though TBYML and ITD are the best, i think they are not as accessible as the other albums.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Quote Originally Posted by waitressboy View Post
    If you only liked LES, I'd try with HSDP-UHH-Dry and then the rest. even though TBYML and ITD are the best, i think they are not as accessible as the other albums.
    Who wants accessible? We are on Unf, where accessible might well be a turn-off.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherman View Post
    LES is my favorite PJ album. Uh Huh Her and White Chalk are my next two favorites. Most fans would probably say Is this Desire or To Bring You My Love. Very confusing, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Who wants accessible? We are on Unf, where accessible might well be a turn-off.
    Psst! Have you seen OMA with all the threads for Pop Music and Beyonce and etc? I would say the collective taste is a lot less obscure than perhaps it used to be.

But I disagree that TBYML and Desire are not that accessible. They're also the best, so I would probably try those first in addition to Stories which I'm surprised no one has recommended yet for a intro-to-PJ experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
    Psst! Have you seen OMA with all the threads for Pop Music and Beyonce and etc? I would say the collective taste is a lot less obscure than perhaps it used to be.
    Psst! Since you did that! The very reason I felt I needed to share thoughts on @ ever was originally PJ Harvey. I rarely ventured anywhere else. I detest Beyonce with great intensity, so NO I did not open that thread. I usually listen / check out only everything Beanstew and Emanate suggest or like, and those are often things I never heard before in my life. Not surprising as I dont watch television nor listen any radio; severely limits influx of new or "OMGpopulars" music.

Also - someone here had Stories as the first PJ experience, and it was horrible? Brr. I can imagine.

just saying. There's a lot of pop fans here.

I always thought TBMYL and ITD to be very accessible, they certainly have some of her most memorable songs.

must-haves:

Rid of Me
    To Bring You My Love
    Is This Desire?
    Let England Shake

I don't know if I would consider White Chalk a "must-have" but it's my personal favorite so I always recommend it

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Updated ranking.

Let England Shake
    White Chalk/ Uh Huh Her/The Hope Six Demolition Project (tied)
    To Bring You My Love/Is This Desire? (tied)
    Stories from the City/Stories from the Sea/Rid of Me (tied)
    Dry

The incomparable 7:
    1. To Bring You My Love
    2. Let England Shake
    3. Is This Desire?
    4. 4-Track Demos/Rid of Me (4-Track > ROM)
    5. Stories From The City
    6. White Chalk
    7. Dry

The 'really effing good' rest:
    8. A Woman A Man Walked By
    9. Dance Hall at Louse Point
    10. Uh Huh Her
    11. Hope 6 Demolition Project

I don't dislike Hope 6 and think the songs truly shine when performed live, but not since Uh Huh Her have I had so little desire to play a Polly album. I admire the effort and don't find her remotely out of touch with the politics with which she grapples, but it's not an album that begs revisiting; once you've heard it, you pretty much get the gist of it. LES, on the other hand, I'm still revisiting and finding new facets to explore.
    My photo blog: polaroidsf

About the only album I rarely revisit is Stories, no matter how much I like some of its songs.

My current ranking;

1. Is this desire?
    2. Uh huh her
    3. Let England Shake
    4. To Bring You My Love
    5. Dry
    6. Rid of Me
    7. White Chalk
    8. Hope 6 Demolition Project
    9. A Woman A Man Walked By
    10. Dance Hall At Louse Point
    11. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

Let England Shake and TBYML are sort of a toss up though, I guess they are more sort of tied in my list; however, I really do listen more to Let England Shake as an entire album.