Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Drawings and doodles

Love it!

Sidenote: ever heard of Elfquest? The fantasy/anime style reminds me of this...
    post28!

Wow some seriously awesome stuff guys!

I haven't had a whole lot of time lately so I try to sketch to and from work.

Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    Yup. I tried Painter for a while but I learned that with some fiddling around with brushes, layers and burn/dodge-tools you can manage quite well...
    You might be interested in the program Paint Tool SAI, it's got a trial period and after that you can purchase it for $50, it's huge in Japan at the moment, everyone is using it, it's a much simpler version of Painter, I really really like it.

OpenCanvas is another great program to try it, it's pretty cheap too with a trial, these two programs also gel well with Photoshop, i.e. taking linework from Sai into photoshop for coloring.

Aww. They don't support the mac
    post28!

Bloody Grace, you're very talented!

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Thanks I spent my whole childhood wanting to become a comic artist, but I gave up when everyone around me was telling me that there was no way I could became one, because the market in Italy wasn't open for such thing and it was so impossible and blah blah and comics needed to respect standards and blah and other tons of bullshits that the 12-years-old me couldn't recognize. Even my at-the-time-best-friend told me "Your comics are shit". I had 2 persons supporting me, my art teacher and my sister. I have to take my revenge and become something like an illustrator or a fucking comic artist.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

You don't necessarily have to make it your career job, a lot of comic artists have other jobs on the side they use to fund their comic art, that's pretty much how it is until you can actually make a name for yourself and get known. Even then there's really no career to be had in it, unless you're one of the top 10 and they don't make great wads of cash either, they do it because they're passionate about it.

Illustration can be just about as hard, it's just not very lucrative. This is speaking realistically, but if it's your passion and you're willing to put up with difficulty then don't let that stop you. There are easier routes though in other art-related jobs that are steadier in games and animation with positions in design and concept art if you're willing to go where the jobs are. I know a fellow designer in animation who's taking a year off to pursue her graphic novel, it's fairly symbiotic. Especially if you love comics, you should definitely consider a career in storyboarding which, if you can do well enough, you can make a pretty good amount of money doing.

By the methane lakes Bloody Grace's Avatar
    Yeah, you're totally right. I'm working as a graphic because is the only "artsy" (meh) job you can find easily (I mean I'm a graphic but I really never wanted to be one...at least it's quite fun) and that is well paid. I'd really really love to make character designs, I think it's the thing I can do better (I totally suck at landscapes and so on).
    What I'm doing now is doing things casually, keeping up my hobbies (comics, illustrations, writing, piano blah blah) I always let things happen so I want to see where I'll be brought by chaos, professionally speaking.
    My website! LOOK, ART!1
    A certain darkness is needed to see the stars - Under a warm tuscan sun

You should definitely keep at it, even if just for yourself! You never know what may happen in the future. I was in the same position growing up; loved to draw and all things art, and was constantly discouraged from pursuing it until I met my high school art teacher. Even then, just having the one person couldn't make a dent in the years of being told I could not follow my dreams. I finally reached a point in my life where I realized, "you know what? screw them. life's too short to not do what I want."

I made my own Christmas card this year. I used to do that as a teenager but the last few years just forgot to put the time in.
    So in order to build some Portfolio this was a good opportunity to make one and I'm quite pleased with the result!

post28!

My fave comic has this fan-art Friday weekly thing and this week it was about my favorite evil character so I thought I'd play along. Well pleased with it!

post28!

ice cream and pizza Father Lucifer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wout View Post
    My fave comic has this fan-art Friday weekly thing and this week it was about my favorite evil character so I thought I'd play along. Well pleased with it!

That's very cool. love it

Wout, that is amazing!

currently working on a water color grasshopper

Hi, these are my girlfriend's sketches I like them very much and I wanted to share with you. If you like them click on the ''appreciate'' button after the sketches:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/1/10930609

your veil is quietly becoming none roominmyheart's Avatar
    Wow I didnt know this thread existed and I loved looking at all of these! You are all so very talented, and each of your styles is so unique and interesting. As someone with absolutely NO skill in this arena, I am so impressed and awed! Even my stick figures look off hahahaha