Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 387886878889 LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1322

Thread: General fitness - goals, gripes, inspirations. Bring it!

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Pfff guys I had major fallbacks over the past two months, have been like... 3 kiloes above where I want to be since Christmas. But this week I'm doing so well. All kinds of different beans, salads and only alcohol free wines. And sports, too.
    Go you Spikey for getting back on the horse!

I have gained A LOT of weight since mid January due to a very stressful lifestyle. It sucks, but it is what it is. I may try Nutrisystem or some other diet plan but probably the best thing right now is to just alter my eating habits and start using the treadmill again.

First week back on the Fitness Blender wagon and eating healthier...basically just avoiding processed foods and have been skipping desserts, baked goods (which seem to be around in my office literally almost every day in the staff kitchen), ice cream, and candy, all of which I had really been going overboard with post-election. That was definitely when it all started. The eating started a couple weeks ago and it's amazing what a difference I already notice in how I feel, even after this short a period of time.

for those of you who do Fitness Blender, have you ever tried doing their workouts at the gym? i'm not even sure it would really be possible considering i use my phone to listen to music (and really rely on that music for motivation) but i noticed they do have printable workout routines on their site: https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/...rkout-routines

i ask because i just joined the gym at work at my new job...i haven't been working out as consistently as i'd like due to social obligations after work so i'm hoping this might motivate me to go in the morning or during lunch. the other main reason is that i don't have the best setup at home for weight-lifting because i have limited number of actual weights and the barbells i have take forever to switch out for different amounts so it really kills the momentum of my workout sometimes. i wish i had the fancy ones they use in the Fitness Blender videos but they're so expensive!

^ thanks Kari! you make a good point about the cost of the PowerBlocks compared to the average gym membership. my membership is really cheap because i work at a university but it's still worth considering. i think in reality i'm going to end up splitting workouts between home and the gym so i guess i'll just have to see which work best in which location. thanks again!

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    This is not a good month for me. The entire day I feel like eating random stuff I don't need.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

So, I'm 34 and have finally, belatedly made the decision to try to gain weight. Unlike most people who get described as "too skinny," and who are actually probably just on the lower end of the "normal/healthy range" of the BMI index, I'm definitely one of the 1% or so of Canadian men considered to be underweight. When I started eating more earlier this month, I was 109 lbs. at about 5'7". Now I'm weighing over 112 lbs. every time I step on the scale, and I think my face even looks a little fuller, so it's definitely working.

I've started to wonder whether I should continue just gaining fat, since my body obviously lacks the fat that everyone else has, or whether I should do some exercises already to gain more muscle. My thinking is that I could probably gain nothing but fat until I'm 120 lbs. or so before I really need to worry about exercising, but honestly, I'm not sure. I don't aspire to be a bodybuilder; I just want a more "normal" and reasonably healthy looking body, and I'm very uneasy about public gyms.

Any encouragement or friendly advice welcome.

Thanks, Kari!

I do have some dumbbells, and I'm going to start using them at some point. Maybe when I get closer to my initial goal of 120 lbs to tone my arms if nothing else. Almost all of the advice I can find online emphasises muscle building and discourages gaining "just fat," but I have to remind myself that most of these guys calling themselves "skinny" and trying to become bodybuilders aren't even skinny in the first place - they just have average bodies. And right now an average body seems like a pretty far off goal to me! So I'm okay starting off by just putting on more body fat.

It's funny, but I've kind of felt a bit uncomfortable posting about it. I think that's because it feels like a "high-class problem" because so many people (particularly women) are trying to lose weight, and there's so much negative messaging about obesity. But I also think there's a different society-approved ideal for male bodies, and there's a lot of negativity around skinniness for men that we don't tend to recognize as often. When anyone even close to my body type is represented on TV, for example, it's nearly always as a "desperate virgin" or "geek." Skinniness is unmasculine, weak, effeminate. And while I hate all that body-shaming and sexist bullshit and try my best to reject it, the negativity alone chips away at your self-esteem over time, and then it's super annoying when nobody even thinks it's a real problem.

Anyway, lol. Sorry for the mini rant. I'll be checking out Fitness Blender.

Puddles: There is so much pressure for people to look a certain way! Really what's important is that you are comfortable with your body, and you are healthy. I am a big fan of movement of the body, in whatever form, for physical and MENTAL health.

Nobody has a right to comment the body of another.

Posting here for accountability: starting my first eight-week journey with Fitness Blender! I'm doing this program, which is conveniently on YouTube. Any suggestions for success are much appreciated!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    if you have the scratch, the Powerblock weights investment is well worth it.
    Well, I have a pair of 5 lb weights, will that be good enough to get started? Are the Powerblock weights different from basic dumbbells/hand weights?

Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    5 lb weights will be good enough to get started, but as it goes you are going to want to lift heavier. Powerblocks are adjustable weights - one set (the one I have) goes as low as 3 lb per hand all the way up to 24 lb per hand. I justified it because it cost less than 2 months of what a gym membership is here in NYC. There are a lot of squats and stuff like that and you will find you outgrow your current weight level fairly quickly. But there is no harm in doing light/bodyweight to start!
    Gotcha! Do they make suggestions in the training program about when to bump up your weights, or do you have to just feel it out on your own?

wrong thread, apologies.
    Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 09-03-2017 at 07:24 PM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Three months to the day I started this diet and so far I have lost 44 pounds! I have another 76 pounds to go. I will post again when I reach my half-way mark. 120 pounds is a hell of a lot of weight to lose but I am sticking with this even if it takes me a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Three months to the day I started this diet and so far I have lost 44 pounds! I have another 76 pounds to go. I will post again when I reach my half-way mark. 120 pounds is a hell of a lot of weight to lose but I am sticking with this even if it takes me a year.
    Great job!

After some false starts, I'm now in Week 2 of an eight-week Fitness Blender program and going strong! I can already feel/see a difference.

(Also, I have a crush on Daniel. And his ass).