Page 104 of 105 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1570

Thread: General fitness - goals, gripes, inspirations. Bring it!

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    First week back on the Fitness Blender wagon and eating healthier...basically just avoiding processed foods and have been skipping desserts, baked goods (which seem to be around in my office literally almost every day in the staff kitchen), ice cream, and candy, all of which I had really been going overboard with post-election. That was definitely when it all started. The eating started a couple weeks ago and it's amazing what a difference I already notice in how I feel, even after this short a period of time.

Nice work! It's so hard to get started again once you stop. I never stopped the Fitness Blender but my post-election eating was SUBPAR there for a while (I drank a lot with depressed friends at bars and french fries were happening more often than they should have).

I did a 52 minute leg strength workout just now, and this week hit a new weight low! I am almost at goal and I feel great.

for those of you who do Fitness Blender, have you ever tried doing their workouts at the gym? i'm not even sure it would really be possible considering i use my phone to listen to music (and really rely on that music for motivation) but i noticed they do have printable workout routines on their site: https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/...rkout-routines

i ask because i just joined the gym at work at my new job...i haven't been working out as consistently as i'd like due to social obligations after work so i'm hoping this might motivate me to go in the morning or during lunch. the other main reason is that i don't have the best setup at home for weight-lifting because i have limited number of actual weights and the barbells i have take forever to switch out for different amounts so it really kills the momentum of my workout sometimes. i wish i had the fancy ones they use in the Fitness Blender videos but they're so expensive!

I have done modified versions at the gym, yes. I quit the gym over a year ago, but before that was doing a blend of gym/at home workouts. I think it works much better for weights than cardio, FWIW. And since you've been doing FB for a while, you know the moves.

(The PowerBlocks are 100% worth it, though. We have the set that goes up to 24 pounds per hand and I LOVE THEM SO HARD. But again, not paying for a gym membership)

^ thanks Kari! you make a good point about the cost of the PowerBlocks compared to the average gym membership. my membership is really cheap because i work at a university but it's still worth considering. i think in reality i'm going to end up splitting workouts between home and the gym so i guess i'll just have to see which work best in which location. thanks again!

No problem! Our gym membership (my husband and mine) was around $175/mo for the two of us. The set of PowerBlocks we bought was around $150 (I think the next set up - that goes to 50 lbs per hand - is around $350-400). We figured it was worth it. Our apartment is fairly small so it's also a good space saver.

It's all about what works for you. If my schedule gets insane again and I can't work out at home, I'm going to join the bargain basement gym near work that's only $25/mo. I have a good foundation now so I think that could work for me. I'd do HIIT at home and weights at the gym (I think I'd feel a little awk doing burpees by myself at the gym, at home its ok ).

I am on a mega weight plateau right now...I only have about 5-6 pounds to go to my next goal and it is NOT budging. I blame Trump.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    This is not a good month for me. The entire day I feel like eating random stuff I don't need.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

I have been doing okay, except for booze - there has been a LOT of socializing lately which means I've probably been drinking more than I should. Cutting back this week. I have been MILITANT about my workouts though, and my diet is fairly clean. Also the more fit I get, the worse alcohol makes me feel, but then I go out and I'm like YUMMMY WINNNNEEE! Ughhh. And this weekend was a holiday so it was all fakakta.

I did this yesterday. My bestie and I challenged each other to do it, and we both picked a time and went for it. I almost died. But I did it!

So, I'm 34 and have finally, belatedly made the decision to try to gain weight. Unlike most people who get described as "too skinny," and who are actually probably just on the lower end of the "normal/healthy range" of the BMI index, I'm definitely one of the 1% or so of Canadian men considered to be underweight. When I started eating more earlier this month, I was 109 lbs. at about 5'7". Now I'm weighing over 112 lbs. every time I step on the scale, and I think my face even looks a little fuller, so it's definitely working.

I've started to wonder whether I should continue just gaining fat, since my body obviously lacks the fat that everyone else has, or whether I should do some exercises already to gain more muscle. My thinking is that I could probably gain nothing but fat until I'm 120 lbs. or so before I really need to worry about exercising, but honestly, I'm not sure. I don't aspire to be a bodybuilder; I just want a more "normal" and reasonably healthy looking body, and I'm very uneasy about public gyms.

Any encouragement or friendly advice welcome.

Oh god, I have no good advice, since mine would be "simply look at a piece of cake and gain ten pounds".

I think exercise is actually going to be your best option. Increase your protein and fat intake substantially and start weight training. You also can probably eat a fair amount of carbohydrate as well since you aren't putting on fat. The working out will help you develop muscle, which will help you put on the weight. Lots of eggs, chicken, steak. Healthy carbs are great - whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, etc. Focus on weight training. It won't make you torch weight like cardio. I talk a lot about Fitness Blender but that's a great place to start if you don't like gyms. All you need are some dumbbells.

Thanks, Kari!

I do have some dumbbells, and I'm going to start using them at some point. Maybe when I get closer to my initial goal of 120 lbs to tone my arms if nothing else. Almost all of the advice I can find online emphasises muscle building and discourages gaining "just fat," but I have to remind myself that most of these guys calling themselves "skinny" and trying to become bodybuilders aren't even skinny in the first place - they just have average bodies. And right now an average body seems like a pretty far off goal to me! So I'm okay starting off by just putting on more body fat.

It's funny, but I've kind of felt a bit uncomfortable posting about it. I think that's because it feels like a "high-class problem" because so many people (particularly women) are trying to lose weight, and there's so much negative messaging about obesity. But I also think there's a different society-approved ideal for male bodies, and there's a lot of negativity around skinniness for men that we don't tend to recognize as often. When anyone even close to my body type is represented on TV, for example, it's nearly always as a "desperate virgin" or "geek." Skinniness is unmasculine, weak, effeminate. And while I hate all that body-shaming and sexist bullshit and try my best to reject it, the negativity alone chips away at your self-esteem over time, and then it's super annoying when nobody even thinks it's a real problem.

Anyway, lol. Sorry for the mini rant. I'll be checking out Fitness Blender.

Puddles: There is so much pressure for people to look a certain way! Really what's important is that you are comfortable with your body, and you are healthy. I am a big fan of movement of the body, in whatever form, for physical and MENTAL health.

Nobody has a right to comment the body of another.

Posting here for accountability: starting my first eight-week journey with Fitness Blender! I'm doing this program, which is conveniently on YouTube. Any suggestions for success are much appreciated!
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

OOPPS DOUBLE POST

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    Posting here for accountability: starting my first eight-week journey with Fitness Blender! I'm doing this program, which is conveniently on YouTube. Any suggestions for success are much appreciated!
    AHHHH WELCOME TO FITNESS BLENDER!

My suggestions:

-stick with it is #1!
    -you might not be able to do everything at first. Some of the moves are complex/hard. And that's ok!
    -do whatever Daniel and Kelli say (breathing, listening to your body, advice, also they have a really cute dog)
    -if you have the scratch, the Powerblock weights investment is well worth it.
    -take rest days when you need to. 5x a week is a big ask.