Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: General fitness - goals, gripes, inspirations. Bring it!

I've been less than motivated for a while now. My legs have lost any small amount of toning they had and I now refuse to wear shorts. Thank Jeebus for capris. It's never been this bad for me before. I've never been this disgusted by what I see in the mirror.

There were a few months where I was out of work and I lost so much motivation and was extremely sedantary. Now that things are back to normal in that arena I still can't seem to get back into my routine. Exercising is spotty at best and my eating habits have taken a nosedive. I'd like to lose at least 25 pounds and want to add more to my exercise regiment than walking and the ol' exercise bike. My new goal is to lose at least some of that weight before our trip to England (hopefully) next summer.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Gripe: I gained some weight and still haven't been able to lose all of it. Boo.
    Goal: Lose 6 pounds by mid August - not at all unreasonable to achieve.
    Inspiration: Warm weather again! I am riding my bike, running & hiking at a nearby forest preserve.

Progress: I signed up with a doctor about 6 months ago to get on a muscle building program. So far I've gained 12lbs of pure muscle! One in each arm, one in each leg and 8 on my torso/chest and back area. I also gained a bit of fat with it (due to all the protein shakes and extra eating I've been doing for the muscle building).
    Goal: To gain 15-20 more lbs of muscle and get in the area of 12% bodyfat.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    I didn't realise getting married would make me so vain. I've turned around my eating habits and exercising when I can. I'm very overweight so I've not set myself a goal of "target healthy weight" for this time next year. It's just a target to lose a chunk of it. I'm only half a stone down on where I was (my heaviest EVER).

My thing at the moment is to do a press up (can't even do women's ones)! I have NO upper body strength.

Press-ups are so motivational once you start to ease into them. You look back to when you could barely do them at all and it's just AWESOME.

Mario, that's amazing progress! I've hit a bit of a wall with muscle gain, so I'm trying to add more calories on (it's so hard, good god - might just add a tablespoon of olive oil to something I already eat), but I know I'll see fat gains too and that's difficult for me to deal with. I like being skinny! It's ridiculous, I know, but I worry I'll JUST gain fat. This week I think I actually lost a little muscle, which I'm putting down to needing to up calories and possibly (possibly) having been stressed out.
    At the moment I've got a goal weight bracket in mind and a goal body fat bracket in mind, but I'm trying not to focus on that so much as just healthy eating and habits in general. Gaining a little fat is a small price to pay for the knowledge that I'm eating enough to get through the day healthily, I suppose.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Oh god oh god I'm getting closer and closer to 14 stone in weight now (Americans: that's about 2.54 kilometres). Hitting 12 a decade ago was the point where I stopped 'feeling' skinny as I always had for the first 2/3rds of my life. Now I do a double take when seeing a picture of my big round moonface before I realise it's me not my always-bigger-than-I-was big brother. All my Medium shirts are consigned to the back of the wardrobe because they can only just hold me in.

But yet my stupid gymphobia reins on. Been a member a year now, and only visited about 10 times, and then only to have a little swim. Ridiculous? RidicuMORE and I know it. Tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow I WILL go to the gym and the big kids WONT all laugh at me...
    Last edited by other pete; 06-17-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras Malike-pakile's Avatar
    I went to the gym for the first time in weeks yesterday.
    And, of course, I pulled a muscle in my back and now feel like an old man who can't move properly anymore.
    Of course that won't stop me from going again tomorrow as my new(and old) goal is:MORE MUSCLES!

I went from teaching 5 spinning classes, 1 body pump and 1 body balance class a week to 0 last september (burned up, anxiety, hyperventilatio, all that fun stuff).
    I'm trying to pick things up again and it's going well.

Goal, this summer, to:
    - have my old thursday spinning class back, once a week is a good start.
    - do running session 3 times a week
    - do body balance class once a week
    - do step/dance class once a week
    --------------------------------------------------- +
    Lose the 8-10 kilo's I've gained the last months (that's 1500 bar to you americans)
    post28!

I never thought about love when I thought about home

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

weeaboo artshag unicron insanitykun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by other pete View Post
    Oh god oh god I'm getting closer and closer to 14 stone in weight now (Americans: that's about 2.54 kilometres). Hitting 12 a decade ago was the point where I stopped 'feeling' skinny as I always had for the first 2/3rds of my life. Now I do a double take when seeing a picture of my big round moonface before I realise it's me not my always-bigger-than-I-was big brother. All my Medium shirts are consigned to the back of the wardrobe because they can only just hold me in.

But yet my stupid gymphobia reins on. Been a member a year now, and only visited about 10 times, and then only to have a little swim. Ridiculous? RidicuMORE and I know it. Tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow I WILL go to the gym and the big kids WONT all laugh at me...
    Instead of having a little swim, have a lot of swim! SWIMMING IS THE ONLY THING I REALLY CARE ABOUT.
    TEN YARDS. tumblr.//etsy. PHOTO. sam branman

I'd like to tone up and lose another few pounds. Ideally another 5 lb, but I would be happier to tone up and gain more muscle. My problem areas are my stomach, upper arms and inner thighs (not much then!) so if anyone has any advice...also, how soon after getting a tattoo can I start doing sit-ups again? It's on the small of my back and is pretty much healed

Coconut water or chocolate milk after a workout? I typically drink a small cup of chocolate milk but recently read that coconut water is even better due to the natural electrolytes and potassium. I tried some today and it was pretty tasty. I still had a handful of almonds for some protein. Has anyone else used coconut water?

Nope. If you want potassium, maybe a milk/banana/oats smoothie? That has it all!

I just have some milk with whey powder immediately after to tide me over while I make food.

[ validated ]
    I tried some Vita Coco not too long ago. I think my carton had a leak (the packaging is kinda poor) and the water was spoiled. I meant to return it to the store and get another one to confirm my suspicions, but I forgot to take it with me. I wanna try some again to figure out of that was the case, or if I just don't like coconut water.

Over the past few weeks I've also started drinking milk w/ whey protein powder after workouts, because I want to gain some more muscle and weight.
    Last edited by C33; 06-28-2010 at 05:00 AM.