Page 3 of 89 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: General fitness - goals, gripes, inspirations. Bring it!

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Was going to start a whole new thread but didn't think it was necessary after reading this one.

Been hitting the gym for the last 6 months, and been hittin' it hard. But I still feel like my progress isn't as good as it should be.
    Stats-
    Height: 5'7
    Weight: 167 lbs.

I have only lost about 5 pounds in the last six months, but I must be doing something wrong. My goal is to lose 17 pounds total and be "defined" (not really crazy about big muscles).
    I do around 35-40 minutes of cardio per day, and some chest, legs, abs and arms alternately.
    I DO see some progress, especially around my belly, shoulders chest and butt, but I know for a fact that my eating habits aren't optimal.
    I did get some tips from a friend, and he said: eat nothing but proteins and amino acids before and after working out, and have a small dinner, which I haven't really done- and he also said: 20% is about the work out and 80% is about what you eat.

So, yeah... Basically, I would like a little guidance, tips, dos, don't dos, anything is welcome.
    Thanks in advance!

S.

You need carbs after a workout with your protein in order to refuel - it'll help your body do the most with the protein you're having and make the most of your muscles as they're rebuilding. And you should have something with complex carbs an hour or so prior to working out - starving your body of this kind of slow-burn energy will mean you can't push yourself as hard when exercising. In fact, if there was only ONE time when I'd advise eating carbs (and there isn't - everything in moderation!), it would be around your workout.

I don't think it matters how you structure your meals in terms of when to eat more, but you should focus on getting the right things before and after your workouts. Have a good sized, balanced meal about an hour after exercise, but recharge immediately after (have a banana or something). Get plenty of lean proteins, minimise refined carbs, eat your greens, stay hydrated, and get enough healthy fats!

Perhaps you've plateaued? You could try switching your routine, upping intensity, upping weights, etc. Anything to challenge your body and break it out of its usual routine.

Also - 'defined' requires muscle, and if you're looking to build a little muscle as well as lose fat, it's going to take a little longer than just doing one or the other. Don't lose heart!

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    I really want to do this:

http://www.harbortothebay.org/

But I am not sure I could raise $500, as much as I'd love to help out. My friends, much like me, are hardly wealthy. Maybe I'll just bike it by myself sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Custard View Post

I just have some milk with whey powder immediately after to tide me over while I make food.
    I do that.

But I also love coconut juice. Too expensive to get too often but OMG IS IT GOOD.

[ validated ]
    Since my alo drinks were absolutely no where to be found at the store tonight, I decided to give vita coco another go.

The first one I bought was definitely spoiled. Not bad, not sure if I love it (I got some w/ pineapple to try as well), but much better!

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Just felt like having a gripe about Body Mass Index and what a shit form of measurement it is. I mean, that's hardly the health and fitness revelation of the century, but it continues to pop up in news stories about obesity and the like. It is the measure Statistics Canada uses for official national stats. I got curious and calculated my BMI. StatsCan would consider me "overweight." My bodyfat is in the 'athletic' range. Slow clap for BMI.

I agree that BMI is not useful on an individual basis. I used to work for a fitness editing company, and each of our products denounced the value.

I think why it's so pervasively used is because it's an easy tool that allows for macro usage. For instance, it's not UNuseful to say something like, "40% of Americans have a BMI of 25% and higher." But on an individual basis it's not always (and usually isn't) indicative of health.

GRIPE - don't you hate when you go down to do a wide leg squat and hear your lovely new shorts rip at the bum seam.

And BMI is only really good for kicking extremes into touch. If your BMI is below 19 or really high, there's probably something going on there that you need to fix. Probably. Everyone in-between needs to take more precise factors into account. I don't even see overall weight as being hugely important anymore, I'm more interested in the breakdown of it all.

[ validated ]
    Gripe: Last night I took a couple videos of me doing pushups to check my form and I was not impressed with what I saw. I think it's time to revamp this routine.

Step 1: Vacation from routine

Goal: Yoga every day through the 25th (really out of the loop here), running every other day, pull-ups, and NO PUSHUPS for one week starting tomorrow (excluding yoga or any other exercise workout I might use with a pushup circuit/section).

p.s. I really like the coconut water now.. especially the mix with pineapple.. it's perfect before and after cardio.

It has only happened three or four times over the years, but I hate when people get on a weight machine and start to use it like a cardio machine. Like, doing 200+ reps with practically no weight on, say, the leg extension machine, as I saw today (old business-looking dude. he was reading the newspaper while doing it too!). That's not how you use it. It sucks because they clog up the machine; it's not like you can go up between a set and say 'hey, can I work in?' because there are no sets.

I had a guy straight up tell me "NO!" (and rudely!!) when I've asked to work in.

i have been going to the gym now for 3-4 years. i go religiously 3-4 times per week and i do cardio & muscles for about 50-60 minutes, but it frustrates me immensely that i don't improve and that i do not lose any weight/do not tone up. really, why i am i still going? the only reason i still go is that i am afraid that i will gain a lot of weight if i stop going.

Switch it up! Change your routine! Even if it doesn't break the plateau, it'll be a change of pace/scenery that might make it more fun for you rather than it being a case of "oh god I have to do this or I'll get fat." That's miserable stuff.

I ordered some more free weight plates last night, which means I can add weight to some exercises that I've maxed out with my (relatively low) at-home stuff by now. It's exciting and scary.

I decided I'm going to try gaining 26 pounds (12 kilos) until the end of the year. It's probably going to be hard, but if I think it's just two kilos a month it sounds easier to achieve. I've gained 5 kilos (11 pounds?) since March.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterDew View Post
    i have been going to the gym now for 3-4 years. i go religiously 3-4 times per week and i do cardio & muscles for about 50-60 minutes, but it frustrates me immensely that i don't improve and that i do not lose any weight/do not tone up. really, why i am i still going? the only reason i still go is that i am afraid that i will gain a lot of weight if i stop going.
    Andrew's advice about changing things up is really good. Also, you might try having a look at your diet (sometimes it is one really simple thing, like cutting out the cookie you usually have with your afternoon coffee -- cutting back just 100 calories a day can make a big difference over the course of a year). Also, consider if you're working to a sufficient intensity. All exercise is beneficial to health, but 'improvement,' whether that means better performance or fat loss or muscle gain or whatever, is an adaptive mechanism. You need to stress your body in order for it to respond in that way. If you're exercising within your current abilities then those abilities won't change much.

With that said, I'm sure, even if you haven't seen the results you'd want to see, that you're a much healthier person for the efforts you've made over the years. I'm sure your heart and lungs are happier for those hours spent in the gym!