Page 5 of 105 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: General fitness - goals, gripes, inspirations. Bring it!

Thanks guys I haven't really noticed the difference until I went shopping the other night. I guessed that eh, ok a 14, one dress size down should be about right, or even maybe just slightly snug and ok in a few weeks. I was able to zip the dress up backwards, turn it around and put my arms through the straps! So I got the 12 instead :P Oh and the 10 for later.. The past few days I've also come to realize that my pants no longer fit. I hadn't been wearing much other than gym clothes for the last while so yeah, walking around hitching my britches up!

Quote Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
    I can't believe you're doing all of that every day.
    Me neither, but as I've mentioned - Lucien really really loves me going to the gym because HE gets to visit with friends, watch tv shows he normally doesn't see (we don't have cable and apparently bob the builder is some sort of fantastic), and play with toys that aren't his. He burns off so much energy himself playing there that he's actually napping again in the afternoon which allows me to get work done -l- So I stay longer giving him more time. It turns out to be win win. I haven't gone in 3 days however becasue our schedule is truely messed up this week from him being at daycamp. The gym has wonky childminding hours (all of the locations do) so we miss morning time because of camp and then only a few have hours in the evening with childcare. It just was easier to stay home and go for a walk/do an exercise video. I've been grumpy because of it. I can't wait for monday and get back into the groove.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    Goal: Lose 6 pounds by mid August - not at all unreasonable to achieve.
    It's the first of August and I lost the 6 pounds I was aiming for two weeks in advance of my goal date. I've been exercising constantly, but I stopped GOBBLING LATE AT NIGHT and that has pretty much made all the difference.

Next Goal: To drop another 4 pounds by the beginning of September.

[ validated ]
    inspiration: moisture wicking workout clothes!

i've had this 'duo dry' pair of pants for a few years now. last week i picked up a new pair + a shirt. LOVE the shirt. must get more. i'm a big sweater and it's so nice wearing something that doesn't stick to me and get heavy and gross while i'm working out.

I need to get a couple of moisture wicking shirts because yeah i hate that gross wet shirt feeling.

ARGH WHAT THE FUCK.

I'm being super annoying by posting this on twitter/fbook as well as here, but you are the only ones who get the full measurements so feel important. I did my 12 week measurements with my trainer. She didn't do the full body fat percentage stuff yet...we do that in three weeks when she is back from vacation. I'm on my own for three weeks.

Results?

first of all: I FUCKING GAINED TWO POUNDS DIAF METABOLISM SUCK MY CULO.

Inches lost:

Arms: 1/2 inch (whoopie do - I work that shit super hard)
    Waist: 1 inch
    Abdomen: 1.5 inches
    Hips: 1.5 inches
    Thighs: 1.5 inches
    Calves: .5 inches

My trainer was very sweet and encouraging...but I could tell she was a little bit baffled. She kept talking about calories and asking me diet questions throughout my workout, which while well intentioned made me feel a little crappy. Ugh.

So I was having gym weirdness last week while the kid was at camp. I was using a gym different than my usual (same company different location) and I was at a total loss of to why I couldn't do even a fraction of my normal weights routine. Maybe I was just having a weak week? (har) So I chalked it up to just being off and today went back to my usual location. Well, I did the normal and had ZERO problem. WTF? So I asked the guy and well, not all the gyms have the same weights. My gym is in pounds and about half of the other gyms are in kilograms. Thanks for being consistent guys! So now I have to make sure I always have a rough estimate of my workout in KG as well as in LB in case I go somewhere else. IN other screwed up weight related issues. I found out my entirely waay too expensive scale is totally destroyed and I can point fingers at everyone who played a part in it. Dragging across the floor with their feet instead of picking it up and moving it, dropping it down rough if they did pick it up etc.. well my scale is 11.5 pounds OFF. Thank god it's 11.5 pounds in my favour *L*

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    Aw, Kari . Think of it this way, if you gained 2 lbs but lost inches literally all over, then that gain has to be muscle weight, right? I am sure you lost fat, there's no way you couldn't've.

And holy crap becka, I can only imagine how baffling it'd be to have the weights you lift suddenly go down by like half (or so it would appear). I wouldn't know what to think -- I'd wonder if it was some kind of prank! Even in Canada, lbs seems to be the standard demarcation for weights, whether they be machines, dumbbells, or plates. It's a 45 lbs plate. I don't even know what that is in kilograms (the metric system was a . . . partial success in Canada. Hooray kilometres and celsius! Boo kilograms and metres!).

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    My new job is absolutely exhausting me - I get home and munch, too tired to work out at night and in the morning never feel well-rested enough to run. Help help help help help.

Quote Originally Posted by kollins View Post
    And holy crap becka, I can only imagine how baffling it'd be to have the weights you lift suddenly go down by like half (or so it would appear). I wouldn't know what to think -- I'd wonder if it was some kind of prank! Even in Canada, lbs seems to be the standard demarcation for weights, whether they be machines, dumbbells, or plates. It's a 45 lbs plate. I don't even know what that is in kilograms (the metric system was a . . . partial success in Canada. Hooray kilometres and celsius! Boo kilograms and metres!).
    40kg=88lb I did the math this morning because now I'm paranoid. So I'm pleased that somehow I managed to eek out 5 preacher curls at 88 pounds -lol- Not that I want to do that though, but i was like SCREW YOU I KNOW I CAN DO THIS AT 40LBS WTF? The best part is, some of the gyms have mixed weights.. So one machine will be in KG and another will be in LB. Never did I think I wanted to cling to my consistent little gym so much -lol-

My plates are in kilos!

Kim - could you perhaps start cycling to work? I'm thinking of investing in a bike and doing that come September, because it means that even if I can't always work out when I want to, I'll be getting enough cardio as it is. Only really works if you have showers at work though.
    Otherwise, I don't know. Sometimes I do the most horrendously nasty workouts before or after long shifts, and I just have to make myself do them. Once I start, I don't really mind anymore and I just know that it'd be wasted energy not to finish. It's just a case of pushing through mental or emotional exhaustion and realising that you are actually physically able to do something.
    Also are you getting enough iron. I always worry I'm not getting enough iron.

ANTI-GRIPE: knocking on wood here, but after last week's baffling one pound fat gain, I lost fat and gained plenty muscle. So my scales and I are friends again. It's been good times, and I'm pleased that it came after a week of bread and varied grains (though I think that part of it was to do with not drinking and sleeping enough). Now I imagine I will gain more fat this week or something.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    Howdy!

I don't think I've posted in this thread before.

I have a few goals I'm working on now: The 100 push-ups challenge (but with knee push-ups); 200 sit-ups challenge; and I want to run my first marathon in November (it's only 5 miles, but I haven't run 5 miles at once in several years). I want to get stronger, more toned, and just basically be a badass (in my own mind).

Even though my arms have been toning up with the push-ups challenge (I'm also doing light barbell exercises for arms), I still have some of that batwing shit going on. SRSLY. How do you get rid of the batwing arms? The front of my arms are looking nice, the underside, flabby as ever it seems. Maybe they are improving, but I'm not seeing a significant difference. HALP.

Tricep kickbacks! Single arm tricep extensions!

It took me forever to see a difference in my arms. I don't think you can ever truly vanquish the batwings. But if you build your arms up you can disguise them.

THERE'S A SNAKE IN MY BOOT Stumpy's Avatar
    [QUOTE=No you don't, Oprah.;31867]Kim - could you perhaps start cycling to work?[quote]

ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME? This is not safe (also in 6 weeks time I will only be a 10m walk from my workplace).

idk, idk. I know I should just DO it, but I'm so tired and not on anything resembling my own schedule here, so I'm slotting around everyone else's routine, which makes the whole thing really stressful.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    No.5 (can I call you Chanel instead?) - those armpit bumps would be your lats...pretty sure. unless Im missing a muscle

i just ordered a scale, measuring tape & an ipod charger (mine was broken). I'm doing this shit. 40lbs by December. Is that a safe goal? 1lb a week x4...4 months...ok well, as much as I can by December. I am NOT going to be that lady who had a kid and blew up. Well I am her, but she's not me for long.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up