Page 55 of 105 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: General fitness - goals, gripes, inspirations. Bring it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kala View Post
    HUZZAH! I've lost 40 pounds since Sept. 24th.
    Rock on!

[ validated ]
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Wow you sound so sane. I was absolutely insane with pain with my outbreak. Supposedly once you've had singles once, you're very unlikely to have a second outbreak. My outbreak was on my right side, I had a pretty severe case that lasted about two weeks. I even took the medication that is supposed to shorten you're outbreak. I've had a few people ask me what it felt like to have shingles. I always say something like: It feels like having a really bad sunburn, that you tried to rub off with sandpaper; when that didn't work, you stabbed yourself repeatedly with an icepick and then poured rubbing alcohol in the wounds.
    That sounds terrible, entropy. This virus seems to affect people in vastly different ways. I had a swollen lymph node on my face, close to my ear, as well as what the doctor called "a nasty ulcer" in my ear. That's where most of my pain came from. I didn't experiencing much itching or pain from the breakout, so I guess I'm lucky in that regard. I'm over halfway through the medication the doctor gave me on Friday.. it's been nine days since this all began early last Monday morning, and I'm nearly back to normal today. Feeling very grateful.

Thank you, Becka, for the well-wishes

And congratulations, Kala!

I'm getting back to working out. I guess my problem is I have to do it first thing in the morning or it will never get done, which means waking up at 4am on weekdays. But already I feel better. I was really miserable with just a few weeks of not moving. It really does affect my mood, confidence, stress levels, my skin, everything.

I am pleased to report I am down 7 pounds since January 1. I am the lowest weight I have been in three years. THREE YEARS!

You go girl.

Almost halfway to my first goal.

Congratulations Kari!

I was doing well and then got stressed about life and BOOM. Gained 2 pounds overnight.

I've had this damn cough for almost 3 weeks now and it's made any physical activity (outside of walking) almost impossible. Deep breaths just get me a coughing fit! It's been so frustrating because I had just gotten my bike tuned up and was ready to start riding again when I got that damn cold which led to this cough! PLUS, feeling gross just makes me want junk/comfort food. I'm afraid to get back on the scale

Argh.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

Icon15

I hardly weigh myself but I do keep track of how I'm doing by my clothes/how I feel. I know that's not the best way to approach things - waiting until I gain 5+ pounds to not fit into my pants seems dangerous, but it's a dance I've been doing for a while. Maybe I should buy one of them new-fangled scales ...
    ... here i am!

woo! kari! way to go

Tullypants - judging by your pants really isn't that bad of an idea, especially if you are one to obsess over a number. for a long while I have done this. I only weigh myself once a month these days because my weight can fluctuate so much due to exercise, my cycle, how much water i drink etc.

Sweetpea - don't get on the scale. just jump back in to DOING. you know you've been off schedule due to illness, work on getting better and doing what you can do now and pretty soon you'll be rocking that bike all over town.

dale - good news about overnight pounds like that.. it's usually just water retention and bloat.

every last one of you... HUGE to you.. keep at it.

Thanks Becka! I check my weight every day, although that's supposed to be a bad idea if it discourages you, it kind of cues me as to what to do each day. So -

The good news is that the worst of the junk food is now GONE. Or at least it will be after I GO TO THE GYM, which I haven't had much time for lately. I'm going right now.

If you need to weigh often, only do it once every week. Same time, same bat channel. For myself it's usually first thing in the morning when I wake up after I have gone to the bathroom, always on the 15th (so that I'm mid-cycle.. not that you'd have to worry about that*L*).

THe past few weeks I've been giving zerofucks about eating and exercise. I've thankfully maintained but shit is getting real this spring with running a marathon that I have not been training for. It's going quickly from "not going to be pretty" to "downright ugly"

Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    I hardly weigh myself but I do keep track of how I'm doing by my clothes/how I feel. I know that's not the best way to approach things - waiting until I gain 5+ pounds to not fit into my pants seems dangerous, but it's a dance I've been doing for a while. Maybe I should buy one of them new-fangled scales ...
    I do the same thing! I have a set of new-fangled scales that supposedly tells me a bunch of numbers about my body that I don't really understand, but I find the best way to figure out if I'm doing well is to follow my belt size. If my belt is squeezing me then I've got to start eating properly again, but it's the best feeling when I drop down to the next hole. I find measuring weight is difficult because I'm getting rid of the fat but replacing it with muscle. After 9 months of serious work outs I've only dropped 5kg, but I've lost 15cm around my waist.

Call it a bad habit, but I'm still jumping on the scale every morning. Maybe I should hide it.

My shoulder is like 98% better! The low point was when I raised my arm to look at my watch, and didn't make it! - I got a sharp stabbing pain instead. So I've been doing slow, light exercises for the upper body at the gym, don't want to make anything worse, and after 3 weeks or so, I had to move a very heavy desk and... nothing! I only realized afterward that my should was supposed to hurt. It still bothers me now and again, but the gym has really helped. And I'm heading there again today.

I stand no chance of growing up Tulip In A Cup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum 509 View Post
    Call it a bad habit, but I'm still jumping on the scale every morning. Maybe I should hide it.

Don't feel bad I am obsessed with weighing myself everyday too. I did think of hiding it in a inconvenient place but I haven't taken the step to do it.

My Dr. told me to start a new workout plan as of yesterday. Which was 40 mins of cardio and 20 mins of lightweight lifting of about 5 lbs but 15-20 reps. If I use too heavy of a weight I will build bulk and gain weight of course and not build lean muscle mass, like they want. So I did it yesterday and all the weight machines at the gym the lightest weight was 10 lbs so now I am paranoid that is too much and I will now start to build bulk.

He wants me to do that every day but maybe since it is more weight than he wanted I was pondering doing it every other day. Also, I feel like 20 mins of lifting too is WAY too long because I can do it pretty quick and pretty much done in like 10 mins. I am sure I need to go more slowly and going slower is the key.

Any advice would be nice? I really don't know that much about weight lifting at all.
    Last edited by Tulip In A Cup; 03-12-2013 at 04:17 PM.