Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1069

Thread: unofficial official bitch about your job thread. do it. its healthy.

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I came into work this morning to find out that my assistant (who is only 23) passed away on Friday. I'm in complete shock. This is so unexpected. He was a really sweet kid- so smart and talented and so much ahead of him. I cannot believe this at all. I've just been staring at my screen all day. I want to be home.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Oh my gosh, that is terrible. I am so sorry.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    I came into work this morning to find out that my assistant (who is only 23) passed away on Friday. I'm in complete shock. This is so unexpected. He was a really sweet kid- so smart and talented and so much ahead of him. I cannot believe this at all. I've just been staring at my screen all day. I want to be home.
    Oh my god, that's so awful! I'm so sorry to hear that. Jesus.

Thank you. Yea, a lot of the office is going about their day. I'm just too paralyzed to do anything. This year has been brutal in every way possible. It is astounding.

I am loathe to bitch about my job because its the best job I've ever had.

HOWEVER.

One of the most frustrating things I have ever experienced as an EA is working for someone who refuses to use technology unless they absolutely have to. It makes me insane. My boss cannot do the simplest things, and its not for being that old (they're not) or not being smart (they are). It is a learned helplessness thing that MAKES ME INSANE.

For example this morning I was sent a list of three addresses in NYC and asked to give detailed directions on how to get there. It is so frustrating to me to have to stop what I'm doing to use GOOGLE MAPS WHICH THEY HAVE ON THEIR PHONE AND I HAVE SHOWED THEM HOW TO USE MANY TIMES. Then I get asked why some other task has not been completed, and it is because I am copying and pasting directions from Google Maps.

I think my boss hates me.

No, let me change that.

Everybody in my office thinks my boss hates me.

I know I am not the easiest person to deal with, specially when it comes to work. I mean, I'm that motherfucker that if he has to make 15 stuff, he'll make 18 because IT'S YOUR FUCKING JOB TO DO IT. (I work at a library, so "make stuff" means "cataloguing books"). The thing is that I have no problem in telling my boss when he's doing things wrong. And he makes a lot of things wrong. When everybody talks shit about him on his back, I go and tell him "hey, you're doing that wrong, it's supposed to be the other way" or "why did you ask to do that and now we have to do exactly the opposite?". And he doesn't like it at all.
    The funny thing is that he tried to "punish" me a couple of times, giving me more work or harder work. Once he learned that I could do it anyway, he gave up. But I just don't shut up. I don't know why he just can't do his job.
    Oh, no, way, I do know: he's the boss.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

so what if i like pretty things Bryan Alan's Avatar
    One of my direct reports came into work today 40 minutes late with no explanation, asked for a pay advance and told me she needed to leave early. GIRL BYE.
    tuna rubber a little blubber in my igloo

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Having to prove you're actually going to to your MIL funeral when your coworker does not. Having to get permission for the days off from District Office because it's back in Michigan and thus I'll be gone longer than 3 days consecutively when your co-worker does not. Watching your co-worker leave early today when you've got a funeral to help plan.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Okay. I'm not actually bitching about anything, but this is the only career-related thread I could find so I thought my post should go here. I would like to connect with anyone on the forum who teaches or has taught English as a second language/foreign language. Please DM me if you've taught or tutored English language learners and would be willing to answer a few questions for me. Thanks!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I'm curious about people's commutes to and from work - time that you leave in the morning, length of time it takes to get to work, time you get home?

I leave at 9:24 a.m. and get to work right at 9:30 a.m. On the way home I leave at 6:30 p.m. and usually home by 6:45 p.m.

I just moved and for the first time in my life I have a normal commute! Leave at 8:40am, in at 9:00am. Leave at 6:00pm, home by 6:20pm.

Before the move my life was: leave at 9:00am, in at 10:00am. Leave at 6:00pm, home by 7:30pm (if I'm lucky). NY/NJ traffic is terrible and NJTransit is even worse!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    I just moved and for the first time in my life I have a normal commute! Leave at 8:40am, in at 9:00am. Leave at 6:00pm, home by 6:20pm.

Before the move my life was: leave at 9:00am, in at 10:00am. Leave at 6:00pm, home by 7:30pm (if I'm lucky). NY/NJ traffic is terrible and NJTransit is even worse!
    How did you find that old commute?

Wow, you guys start work late.

I leave home at 07:10, arrive at work at 08:00.

I leave work at 16:40, is usually home around 17:30.

Depending on weather, I either ride my bike or take the subway to the commuter train. Either way, I leave home about 15 min before my usual train leaves. Then I have a ten minute walk from the commuter train station to work. The train ride itself takes 24 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Wow, you guys start work late.

I leave home at 07:10, arrive at work at 08:00.

I leave work at 16:40, is usually home around 17:30.

Depending on weather, I either ride my bike or take the subway to the commuter train. Either way, I leave home about 15 min before my usual train leaves. Then I have a ten minute walk from the commuter train station to work. The train ride itself takes 24 minutes.
    I'm not a morning person.