Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1072

Thread: unofficial official bitch about your job thread. do it. its healthy.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .chris View Post
    Oh man, that is no fun at all. How are you holding up?
    It's tough. The length isn't great but also how busy it is, the delays, the heat and sweatiness... it is draining. The positive is i have been able to read a lot. But it's definitely had an impact.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    3. What are the best and worst things?
    4. Are you doing what you want to be doing?

1: I' a laboratory engineer at the city's main blood laboratory.
    2: it's ok.
    3: The best thing is the importance of the work, and that it's quite varied. The worst thing is the lack of opportunities for advancement, and the fact that our work group has had a lot of internal problems.
    4: No. I'm an archaeologist by training and that's the field I really want to work in.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    I'm a full time PhD student, part time researcher, and part time lecturer/tutor.

I LOVE it. I never ever believed I could find work this fulfilling (I worked in customer service/admin for 12 years before going to university).

Best thing is the intellectual rigor, camaraderie with other students/staff, working with young people, and feeling like my work is meaningful and has purpose. The worst thing is knowing the chances I get a job in academia are very slim, and even if I do, the work/life balance is abysmal. Oh, and marking essays. Ughhhhhhh.

Yes, this is absolutely what I want to be doing. I feel very lucky.

Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    1. I am an associate (adjunct) instructor of Spanish at a university.

2. I do like it!

3a. The best things are that I love Spanish, language acquisition, linguistics, and (most of) my students. I also have a part-tim schedule. I am able to be home three days a week with my partially homeschooled daughter with high functioning autism.

3b. The worst things are the pay, traffic, and students. Associates/Adjuncts aren't paid well. From what I can gather, however, my university pays more than the average. My department has given me a lot of support and growth opportunities. I also have to commute about 22 miles in traffic, sometimes through snow! Last Tuesday it took me nearly two hours to get home! Another minus is from time to time, I'll have a real asshole for a student. Luckily, once the semester is over, I won't have to see them again!

4. Honestly, I love teaching. I have to say yes. I am doing what I want to do. When my daughter is more independent, I hope to teach part-time at another university (in addition to the one I teach at now) or pick up a full-time gig at a high school.
    Last edited by entropy; 10-02-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    1. I am a customer account analyst for a battery company
    2. It's not terrible
    3. Best thing: I do a lot of metrics and that requires a lot of nerdy analysis and research.
    4. I am not. I have a MA in Media Communications and a MS in Sports Management. Breaking into sports is much harder than I anticipated. I was a 39-year-old intern over the summer for a pro softball team in Houston and it didn't lead to the greener pastures I thought it would.

Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    1. I'm the editor in chief of the Dutch version of Attitude magazine, which is published in The Netherlands and Belgium
    2. Yes. I went through a slump about a year and a half ago, but since then a lot of things have changed and now I'm super happy again
    3. Best things: when you get to tell a story that needs to be told (a Syrian refugee who gets harassed and bullied for being gay in his refugee camp, someone in his early 20s living with HIV, interview with a catfish, etc), when you get to meet and interview someone you've always found fascinating, getting new music before anyone has heard it. Worst things: You're always writing and thinking what to write about, even on days when you feel like you don't have a creative bone in your body. Just yesterday I struggled with even finding a topic for the foreword in the magazine, but luckily then I had an interview that inspired me and gave me something to write about. Copywriting (hello we need 300 words about this watch that you don't care about because it's not that special and you don't even wear a watch yourself).
    4. Well no, I'd either be a screenwriter who also stars in his own stuff, or a comedian, or a singer/songwriter. But I can't sing for shit, I've never tried to really write songs but I probably wouldn't be good at it. I can't really speak in front of people without almost vomiting, so getting on a stage is probably not the best idea. And screenwriting. Meh. I wouldn't want to write stuff for other people, I think. Plus the market here is very very small. And the job I ended up in is a lot of fun as well.

Today I'm really annoyed with the lack of ventilation at work. We don't have a lot of windows that open to really let the place air out. It's needed though, because a lot of us get mild headaches in the afternoon (I blame the lack of fresh air) and we all pass each others cold's around forever. The person who is most vocal about not opening any windows because it's "not necessary" and he's "super cold" is also the person who only wears a t-shirt to work every day. If you're so fucking cold, put on a jumper. /end rant

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    A microphone was installed above my desk. This comes after I had to give a witness statement about an altercation between Security and a parent. Security was clearly in the wrong and that's what I said, royally pissing off the Security office at District level. Now there's a microphone above my desk to go along with the previously installed camera.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    A microphone was installed above my desk. This comes after I had to give a witness statement about an altercation between Security and a parent. Security was clearly in the wrong and that's what I said, royally pissing off the Security office at District level. Now there's a microphone above my desk to go along with the previously installed camera.
    Wow.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Right? I'm not even sure it's legal as there is no signs or anything to alert parents about it. My questions about the legality of the mic were brushed off.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I'll play too-

1. I'm the head of post production at a video production company
    2. Yes! It is a nice combo of creative work and geeky technical work
    3. Best thing- I generally like the people I work with, so it is generally a happy fun atmosphere. Worst thing- client insanity.
    4. Are you doing what you want to be doing? Yes. Although I'd eventually like to transition away from corporate work to documentary or narrative at some point. However I recently just moved and things are really nice and stable for the moment so I am content with where things are.

Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    1. I'm an office manager for our family business. We install underground utilities. I started working here in my early 20s on an actual construction crew and then decided to prove my organizational skills useful by taking over the administrative side of everything. I basically am a one-man show: accounts payable & receivable, payroll, insurance, OSHA compliance, estimating, you name it. In other words, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow my entire family is fucked.

2. I don't know that I like it. It's stressful and frustrating. Working for family, especially when you own the business, means you're never actually off the clock. I do work-related stuff on weekends. I get calls at 9pm some nights. I find myself reconciling bank statements at 2am when I can't sleep. But I am good at my job, and I feel comfortable and confident in what I do. It can be a challenge, but I have also learned a lot since stepping into this role and I feel fairly accomplished considering I didn't actually go to school for any of this.

3. The best thing is probably the flexibility. I sort of make up my own hours. I work from home. I can take off mornings or afternoons for personal reasons. It's a small company so we don't really have a strict policy on vacation or sick days. I can do 90% of my job from my cell phone and laptop, which allows for a lot of freedom. The worst thing, as I mentioned, is the fact that you're never really "off work." When I went to the UK earlier this year I took a laptop and did payroll and invoicing remotely. My family has very blurred lines between personal time and work time. We talk shop at holidays, on weekends, etc. I can't really escape it. So I'm "always on" if you will. That wears you down.

4. I don't honestly know what I want to be doing. My bf had a very clear goal. He wanted to join the Navy and go to medical school. He's been working at that for about eight years now. On the other hand, I honestly hate work. I hate the idea of a job. So I never really found a calling or a passion that I wanted to get paid for. I think if I were doing something I loved, it would lose its luster eventually if only because it was now my job. I'm envious of people who love going to work every day. But at this point, I have a lot of freedom and flexibility, I know how to do my job well, and it has paid me well enough to own a home, a car, take vacations, travel, and have a comfortable life. So I can't really say that it's been bad. *shrug*

Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?
    @menju56 yourself?

Job questions!

1. What do you do?
    2. Do you like it?

1. My husband and I have our own marketing/graphic design company. I'm the graphic designer. He's the marketing/business guy.
    2. 80% of the time I love it.
    3. The best is designing. And also, since I'm my own boss, when there is down time I can do what I want. No pretending to work The worst is clients LOL
    4. Pretty close. I wanted to be a photographer when I was younger. Not sure I would even do that now if I had the chance (I actually do it for work on occasion and find it super stressful). I grew up around graphic designers so it feels natural to me.

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Right? I'm not even sure it's legal as there is no signs or anything to alert parents about it. My questions about the legality of the mic were brushed off.
    Looks like NM is a one party state. As long as you know your conversations are being recorded, it doesn't matter if the parents know. It's still pretty shitty.