Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The Creepy, Bizarre, Fascinating, Unusual, And Occasionally Cute Critter Thread!

We had axolotls! They're so cute!

My Slovenian friend has visited the caves and seen the olms. She's promised she'll take me to see them one day!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Fish Walks, Climbs Waterfalls Like a Salamander
    A species of cavefish in Thailand has been documented walking and climbing waterfalls in a manner similar to four-footed creatures such as salamanders, in a find researchers call “huge” in evolutionary terms.

In a new study published in the journal Nature Scientific Reports, New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) scientists describe the behavior in the blind, walking cavefish Cryptotora thamicola.

These Fish Were Made For Walking: Photos

Study co-author Brooke E. Flammang, an assistant professor of biological sciences at NJIT, said in a press release that the fish has anatomical features previously known only in tetrapods — four-limbed vertebrates that include amphibians and reptiles.

“What these fish do, in complete darkness, is stick to the rock and climb waterfalls, completely underwater,” Flammang said.

Rare Walking Fish Population Down To Just 79

While some other fish species have means of moving on land, the NJIT researchers write that no other living fish has the gait employed by the cavefish, which uses a tetrapod-like, “robust pelvic girdle” to climb.

“The pelvis and vertebral column of this fish allow it to support its body weight against gravity and provide large sites for muscle attachment for walking,” Flammang said.
    The NJIT team says the find could tell scientists more about how the anatomy for land-walking evolved, as tetrapods made the long transition from finned to limbed beginning in the Devonian period about 420 million years ago.

“From an evolutionary perspective, this is a huge finding,” Flammang said. “This is one of the first fish that we have as a living species that acts in a way that we think they must have acted when they evolved from a fluid environment to a terrestrial environment.”
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Today is World Penguin Day!

I thought it was a Bloom County charade, but it's no joke. And to celebrate -

Giant swimming, venomous centipede discovered by accident in world-first
    Scientists have discovered the world’s first known amphibious centipede, which grows up to 20cm (nearly 8in) long and has an excruciating bite.

Scolopendra cataracta, from the Latin for “waterfall”, has been found in Laos, Thailand and Vietnam and was seen scurrying into the water by entomologist George Beccaloni, during his honeymoon to Thailand in 2001. It it only recently that it has been fully described, in the online science journal ZooKeys.

“Wherever I go in the world, I always turn over rocks beside streams, and that’s where I found this centipede, which was quite a surprise,” Beccaloni told National Geographic.

“It was pretty horrific-looking: very big with long legs and a horrible dark, greenish-black colour,” he added.
    Centipedes normally stay away from water but when Beccaloni lifted the rock, it ran into the stream and hid.

He managed to capture the specimen and put it in a large container of water where it swam like an eel.

Beccaloni brought his centipede back to the Natural History Museum in London, where he works as a curator of orthopteroids, an order of insects which include crickets and praying mantises.

Only four specimens have been found of this type of centipede, the first collected in Vietnam in 1928, which for decades was held in the Natural History Museum, misidentified as a more common species. None have ever been observed swimming before.

“I would bet this species goes into the water at night to hunt aquatic or amphibious invertebrates,” Beccaloni said.

Centipedes eat other invertebrates but also snakes and mice. Their small fangs can pierce human skin for a non-lethal but agonising bite.

“People tend to study streams in the tropics during the day, but there is probably a whole other range of interesting amphibious things that come out at night,” said Beccaloni.

“It would be good to study these streams and their fauna then to see what is actually going on under the cover of darkness.”
    Yup, still never going near the sea.

It's a revelatory vision for Pastafarians everywhere.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster Lives

The deeply weird creatures oil workers spot near deep-water rigs.

I guess I could have put this in the What I Am Listening to but..

Fish recorded singing dawn chorus on reefs just like birds

World's oldest & biggest wombat weighs 40 kilograms & turns 31 years old today. Happy birthday Patrick.

Source

Iguana chased by snakes - Planet Earth II: Islands - BBC One

The whole programme is amazing. Brits and proxy/vpn using non-Brits ;-) can catch it in iPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by beanstew View Post

Iguana chased by snakes - Planet Earth II: Islands - BBC One

The whole programme is amazing. Brits and proxy/vpn using non-Brits ;-) can catch it in iPlayer.
    I was on the edge of my seat !

A swimming Feather Star.

Mysterious ghost shark caught on film for the first time
    American scientists surveying the depths of the ocean off the coast of California and Hawaii have unwittingly filmed the mysterious ghost shark for the first time.

The team from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Center had sent a remote operated vehicle down to depths of 2,000 metres (6,700ft) when the creature appeared on their screens.
    Also known as chimaeras, the creatures are related to sharks and rays. But unlike their namesakes, ghost sharks have tooth plates instead of teeth and open channels on their heads and faces that give them the appearance of having been stitched together like a rag doll.

Most remarkably perhaps, they have a retractable penis on their heads.

Dave Ebert, program director for the Pacific Shark Research Center at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories told National Geographic that the discovery of the creature – proper name is Hydrolagus trolli – was “dumb luck”.

The footage was captured in 2009 but it has taken the team several years to confirm that the creature on the film is a type of ghost shark known as a pointy-nosed blue chimaera.
    The species is usually found near Australia and New Zealand and has never been filmed alive in its natural habitat before. It is also believed to be the first time they have been seen in the northern hemisphere.

Soignee's Collection of Cute Moffs:

Adorable fluffy moffs! I have seen very few moths or butterflies around here this year sadly. Spiders seem to be doing well though!