Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: The Creepy, Bizarre, Fascinating, Unusual, And Occasionally Cute Critter Thread!

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Mysterious ghost shark caught on film for the first time
    American scientists surveying the depths of the ocean off the coast of California and Hawaii have unwittingly filmed the mysterious ghost shark for the first time.

The team from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Center had sent a remote operated vehicle down to depths of 2,000 metres (6,700ft) when the creature appeared on their screens.
    Also known as chimaeras, the creatures are related to sharks and rays. But unlike their namesakes, ghost sharks have tooth plates instead of teeth and open channels on their heads and faces that give them the appearance of having been stitched together like a rag doll.

Most remarkably perhaps, they have a retractable penis on their heads.

Dave Ebert, program director for the Pacific Shark Research Center at Moss Landing Marine Laboratories told National Geographic that the discovery of the creature – proper name is Hydrolagus trolli – was “dumb luck”.

The footage was captured in 2009 but it has taken the team several years to confirm that the creature on the film is a type of ghost shark known as a pointy-nosed blue chimaera.
    The species is usually found near Australia and New Zealand and has never been filmed alive in its natural habitat before. It is also believed to be the first time they have been seen in the northern hemisphere.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Soignee's Collection of Cute Moffs:

Adorable fluffy moffs! I have seen very few moths or butterflies around here this year sadly. Spiders seem to be doing well though!

David Attenborough just making animals up now
    Many animals in the latest series of Blue Planet, including the Great Yorkle, the False Killer Whale and Hamburglar’s Antelope, were actually ‘made up for a laugh’ by David Attenborough, reports suggest.

BBC insiders indicate that ‘more than half’ of the creatures shown in the series don’t actually exist, and admitted suspicions had first been raised by Attenborough stifling giggles whilst describing the life-cycle of the Flaccid Pantworm round deep-water vents.

Sources at the BBC admitted that until that point they’d just been taking Attenborough’s narration on trust and didn’t actually know how many of them were actually real.

“We don’t know how much of his narration is just bollocks,” concerned Producers told us.

“Here, in the wilds of the deep ocean, creatures stranger than had previously been imagined roam free,” guffawed Attenborough in one visually spectacular sequence.

“In these depths, the Flaccid Pantworm patrols its territory, guarding against the Belming Dopefish, the Ravenous Orange President Squid and the Clam-diving Facefish.”

Editors are now working through the footage trying to work out where Attenborough has been just yanking their chain.

“It’s a huge job. We’ve got him talking about the Gobbler Mussel, the Eighteen-foot Shrimp and the Wriggling Dongfish, and the shit that lives in the deep ocean is so messed up any one of them could actually be real.

“To be honest we’ve got doubts about Sharky McSharkface as well, come to think of it.”
    I always knew it!