Page 146 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2295

Thread: The All-Inclusive Madonna Thread

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    These are adorable!

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.

I feel really, really old.

Living in my own personal Cornwall bubble

Well, that was depressing.

I think they purposely chose kids who were unfamiliar with her music for comic effect. It wouldn't be very funny and would defeat the point if they knew all about her and her music.

Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    Well, that was depressing.
    indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Glindathegood View Post
    I think they purposely chose kids who were unfamiliar with her music for comic effect. It wouldn't be very funny and would defeat the point if they knew all about her and her music.
    Yeah, I never trust those videos. I'm just too cynical. In my head, they're all kind of, sort of actors with lines and everything.

Here's a translation of an article from the Portuguese media which says she has started working on her new album which will include African rhythms mixed with modern dance/electronic.

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...-text=&act=url

Sounds cool! I always thought a world music influence would work well for her.

Last edited by thisnotget; 11-20-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Evil has been defeated
    -time moves both ways-

Last edited by BrotherNamedErised; 08-01-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherNamedErised View Post
    That is exciting - the last time she prominently incorporated world music influences was on Ray of Light, which I still think is the best thing she's done.
    Definitely!
    -time moves both ways-

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Killing time on the couch with the flu, I decided to make a YouTube playlist of all Madonna videos, sorted in chronological order by release date. Thought some of you might appreciate it, so sharing it here (of course there are probably thousands of these already):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zVjXdLC-dSJqyF

A few thoughts as I watch these:

1) "Into the Groove" makes me realize it's been too long since I last watched Desperately Seeking Susan. If you've never seen it, it's an excellent movie. Highly entertaining and super well done. And Madonna is fantastic in it (no really).

2) "Gambler" is just about the most generic 80s soundtrack song I can imagine

3) I had no idea "Live To Tell" was the first single from True Blue. I always thought it was "Papa Don't Preach"! And her dress in this video is terribly matronly, as is her hair. After the pure pop frivolity of the Like A Virgin album they were clearly going for something more grown up. Also, Sean Penn is seriously hot in this video.

4) "Papa Don't Preach" Madonna will always be THE Madonna to me. I love the video, the looks, the Italians Do It Better tee, all of it. It's funny to me that if this song came out today it would be co-opted by the right wing as an alternative to abortion narrative, when at the time it was hugely controversial for supposedly encouraging promiscuity and pre-marital sex. There can really be no question that Madonna's influence accelerated the evolution of sexual mores in our culture.

5) The record label version of the "True Blue" video is heinously tacky, just like the song! The contest winning video is a million times better. My mom let me skip a day of second grade to stay home and watch all the contest submissions on MTV (they aired them back to back for an entire day, as I recall).

6) Is "Like A Prayer" her best video? I think it might be.

7) If there's a real version of the "I'll Remember" video floating around out there, I can't find it. I had a hard time deciding between using this audio only version for video completeness, or compromising completeness for accuracy.

8) I never knew there was a video for "I Want You"

9) I had no idea there were FOUR videos from Evita. (I never gave the slightest lick for that movie or the music from it, though, so I guess it's no surprise I didn't know this)

10) I really love the video for "Hollywood". It's really kind of subversive in a way and I love that song, too.

11) Pharrell is SO adorable in the "Give It 2 Me" video. And she looks amazing throughout this one.

12) I actually like the song "Celebration" as it appears on the album, but I hate the mix that was released and used in this video

13) Quite possibly the weirdest and worst artistic choice Madonna ever made in my opinion, releasing "Turn Up The Radio" as a single (not to mention making it exist in the first place)

14) In the 2018 album thread, some folks mentioned missing her having a signature style for each of her newer albums, but if you watch the MDNA videos, she actually kind of does for that era. I would characterize it as a kind of hot mob wife, Italiana/Jersey-ana, big very coiffed hair, heavily made up look

15) All the Rebel Heart videos are quite good. She dropped some serious coin to make these.

16) One indisputable fact about Madonna: she has ALWAYS had an amazing bod

OMG making the playlist took so long. It's such a shame that artists who have changed labels over time can't associate their classic videos to their Vevo channels - imagine someone who didn't know Madonna otherwise thinking her videos began at "Girl Gone Wild" and ended with "Bitch I'm Madonna"

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    7) If there's a real version of the "I'll Remember" video floating around out there, I can't find it. I had a hard time deciding between using this audio only version for video completeness, or compromising completeness for accuracy.
    There's a real video for it. Madonna looks kind of like she does in the Rain video, and it's her and 2 backup singers in a recording studio, I think near a screen that shows scenes from the movie it was for. I haven't seen it in ages though.