Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120
Results 1,786 to 1,794 of 1794

Thread: News and Other Nonsense

Venlo WW2 explosive: Don't lie down on bombs, Dutch warned
    The Dutch public have been warned it is "strictly ill-advised to lie down on a bomb", after a man did just that for about three hours.

The man came across an unexploded World War Two device while gardening in the town of Venlo on Wednesday.

When it started whistling he covered it with his body, apparently trying to limit the damage.

Nearby residents were evacuated and the device proved harmless. The man was treated for symptoms of hypothermia.

The device was variously described as a grenade or a shell.
    'Delicate position'

Security services spokeswoman Veronique Klaassen told AFP news agency the man had covered the device with sand but when it started whistling he put his body over it.

She said he dared not move and rang emergency services on his mobile phone.

Ms Klaassen told AFP it appeared the defence ministry bomb disposal team must have come from some distance away as it did not arrive until about 01:00 on Thursday (midnight GMT) to free the man from his "delicate position".

Surrounding areas were evacuated, affecting more than 100 people, but it transpired that the device no longer had any explosive material and they were allowed to return to their homes. What caused the whistling remains a mystery.

The man was taken to hospital suffering from the extreme winter cold.

Ms Klaassen said: "It is strictly ill-advised to lie down on a bomb. The best thing to do if you come across an explosive device is keep your distance and call the police."
    Some sound advice there.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    ^ It is a known method of self sacrifice to severely limit the blast radius and save everyone around you. That dude must be a veteran or have military knowledge, he tried to save his family when the thing started hissing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_on_a_grenade
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I know it's tangentially Trump-related, but it feels more Nonsense to me...

What are you all thinking about the Bezos thing? I think since the National Inquirer uses AWS, he should pull the plug. Can he really take them down? Or is this just one blow against them, they'll take a little break, and restart their nefarious catch-and-kill with a side of blackmail business?

If we were lucky and they go out of business, maybe Trump can make the wall out of back issues.

Oh this is going to be such a shit show. SUCH a shitshow. I love it. It's salacious, but interesting in its own right. And the jokes write themselves. Alas, the best I can come up with is "A peck of pickled Peckers."

This is pretty good, but I think given more time before going to press, they could have done better. I do like that there's so many meanings to it.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Just looked it up. I... uh... what?! I wouldn’t mind the National Enquirer or any tabloid going down, but it’s not like Bezos/Amazon is so upstanding. Ugh, schadenfreude just isn’t my thing. I also don’t want see any of these people’s dicks.

Grand Canyon visitors may have been exposed to radioactive material for two decades

The National Park Service was storing three buckets full of highly radioactive uranium in the visitor area of its Grand Canyon museum for nearly two decades, according to the park safety manager.

The 5-gallon buckets were located near the taxidermy exhibit, and one was so full of uranium ore that it couldn’t be sealed, according to Elston “Swede” Stephenson, a manager who sent a rogue email to all Park Service employees earlier this month, AZ Central reports.

Tour groups, often including children, sometimes spent 30 minutes or more near the taxidermy exhibit for demonstrations. Using standards set by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Stephenson calculated that children could have been exposed to doses of radiation above federal safety standards within three seconds. Adults could have been exposed to dangerous doses in under 30 seconds.

The buckets were discovered by accident in March 2018 when the hobbyist teenage son of a park employee brought a Geiger counter into the taxidermy-collection room.

Technicians wearing dishwashing gloves used a mop handle to move them into a truck and drive them offsite, he told AZ Central.

According to Stephenson, the ore was dumped into Orphan Mine, a disused uranium mine two miles from Grand Canyon Village, a cluster of hotels and shops where many visitors to the park pass through. But for unknown reasons, the empty buckets were brought back to the museum. They were then rediscovered inside the museum in November 2018, according to AZ Central, when they set off geiger counters brought by US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspectors who arrived to follow up on a report filed by Stephenson.
    what the actual fuck

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Holy fucking shit that needs to result in some severe punishment.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Ummmm. Wow.

Terrestrial organisms stuck on the outside of the International Space Station (ISS) have survived 533 days in the vacuum, intense ultraviolet radiation, and extreme temperature variations of space.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-bunch...s-and-survived

I so want that to be true!
    Last edited by beanstew; 05-15-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."