Page 109 of 119 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 1785

Thread: News and Other Nonsense

Ghost ship full of cannibal rats could be about to crash into Devon coast
    There are fears a ghost ship full of diseased cannibal rats could be about to crash into the coast of Devon or Cornwall.

The abandoned Lyubov Orlova has been missing since it cut adrift while being towed from Canada nearly a year ago.

Coastguards fear the 40-year-old liner has been driven across the Atlantic by high winds and is now close to the UK shore.

Based on emergency beacons activated last year aboard the ship, it is feared the 40-year-old Yugoslavian liner registered to Russia could now crash into the shore of Devon, Cornwall, Ireland or Scotland.

Those searching for the ship say there are likely to be thousands of disease-ridden rats on board with no source of food except each other, according to The Sun.

Belgian-based searcher Pim de Rhoodes said: "She is floating around there somewhere. There will be a lot of rats and they eat each other."

The 4,250-ton ship built to carry 110 passengers was impounded in Canada in 2010 after being deserted by her crew in a debt row.

Two years later, she was towed to the Dominican Republic to be scrapped - but abandoned when she broke free.

Nothing has been seen of the 300ft liner since the middle of last year, but she is believed to be heading this way.
    Sounds like a SyFy special.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Court refuses trial by combat
    A court has rejected a 60-year-old man's attempt to invoke the ancient right to trial by combat, rather than pay a £25 fine for a minor motoring offence.

Leon Humphreys remained adamant yesterday that his right to fight a champion nominated by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) was still valid under European human rights legislation. He said it would have been a "reasonable" way to settle the matter.

Magistrates sitting at Bury St Edmunds on Friday had disagreed and instead of accepting his offer to take on a clerk from Swansea with "samurai swords, Ghurka knives or heavy hammers", fined him £200 with £100 costs.

Humphreys, an unemployed mechanic, was taken to court after refusing to pay the original £25 fixed penalty for failing to notify the DVLA that his Suzuki motorcycle was off the road.

After entering a not guilty plea, he threw down his unconventional challenge. Humphreys, from Bury St Edmunds, said: "I was willing to fight a champion put up by the DVLA, but it would have been a fight to the death."
    Old story that's just resurfaced as it was mentioned in Private Eye.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Tokyo zoo captures 'escaped gorilla' in emergency drill

Amazing

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    This cracks me up:

A Savvy Girl Scout Is Selling Cookies at a Cannabis Clinic in San Francisco

Looking to drum up some new business, 13-year-old Girl Scout Danielle Lei and her mom set out for a San Francisco medical marijuana clinic on Monday, armed with boxes of Tagalongs, Dulce de Leches and other cookie varieties she and other scouts sell annually.

Any patients at The Green Cross with the munchies didn't stand a chance. In two hours on President's Day, Danielle sold 117 boxes outside the clinic — people gobbled up all her Dulce de Leches and blazed through the Tagalongs. According to her mother, Carol, that's 37 more boxes than what she sold during the same two-hour period outside a small Safeway the next day.

^ Amazing! Sounds like Danielle has a bright future in business.

Barriers to stop prostitutes in Loxford estate are ‘waste of money’

A resident has labelled the installation of barriers in front of his estate to prevent prostitution as “preposterous”.

Ian Levene, of Mount Pleasant Estate in Loxford ward, said the barriers make life difficult for less able and elderly residents to let visitors in and stops services like the Post Office and Dial-a-Ride from gaining access.
    Cllr Filly Maravala said he believes that the barriers are essential to help put a stop to illicit behaviour.

Prostitute barriers?

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    That link doesn't want to work for me, but am I just being deliberately obtuse here? How do barriers stop prostitution? Couldn't they just be prostitutes on the other side of the barrier?
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    "Are the prostitutes contained?"
    "Unless they figure out how to open barriers..."

File under "and Other Nonsense" > Wyoming Governor Takes Stand Against Science

Wyoming took an unprecedented step this week when the governor approved a budget that would prevent the state from reviewing or funding a new set of science standards that treat climate change as fact.

The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) are a new set of education initiatives that have been adopted in 10 states and, like the Common Core State Standards, are designed to make sure students across the country are being held to the same benchmarks. They were developed with input from 26 states; Wyoming does not number among them.

Although the adoption of the NGSS has been controversial in other parts of the country, Wyoming is the first and only state to take legislative action to prevent the its Board of Education from reviewing the Science Standards, according to a press release from education advocacy group Climate Parents.

In Kansas and Kentucky, both of which would eventually adopt the NGSS, the measure previously drew opposition from right-wing groups that opposed its teachings of climate change and evolution as fact.

Outsiders are telling public school families that we must follow the rich man’s elitist religion of evolution, that we no longer have what the Kentucky Constitution says is the right to worship almighty God,” Baptist minister and NGSS opponent Matt Singleton said at a Kentucky hearing in July. “Instead, this fascist method teaches that our children are the property of the state.”
    Oh brother. Perhaps they should consider homeschooling, and let the rest of the kids have a chance in the real world.

“Outsiders are telling public school families that we must follow the rich man’s elitist religion of evolution, that we no longer have what the Kentucky Constitution says is the right to worship almighty God,” Baptist minister and NGSS opponent Matt Singleton said at a Kentucky hearing in July. “Instead, this fascist method teaches that our children are the property of the state.”

OH, FOR THE LOVE OF... I'm getting real sick of this "tormented religious nut" thing.
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.

that's awesome!

I have totally had days like that.

So....did she find herself?

source tweet

Crying with laughter here.