Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: News and Other Nonsense

EU BANS SELLING EGGS BY THE DOZEN.

MEP Renate Sommer, who is steering legislation on food labelling through the European Parliament, said, "There will be no changes to selling foods by number. Selling eggs by the dozen, for example, will not be banned."
    Oh, I love our tabloids.

Unfortunate wording from the Beeb a few years ago. They changed it soon after I took the screengrab.

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

'twas mbc 'twas kollins Michael Michael's Avatar
    1 in 5 Britons Will Be Ethnics!

charlie brooker's tweet on the subject:
    "1 in 5 Britons will be ethnics", shrieks the Express. So the remaining 4 in 5 will have no ethnicity at all? What are they, robots?

UK Parliament Member: I was too drunk to vote.

A shamed Tory MP has admitted he was too drunk to vote in the debate on the Budget after a night of debauched behaviour on the Commons terrace.

Former banker Mark Reckless was so inebriated that he fell to the floor of a Commons bar before the crucial vote in the early hours of the morning, before being bundled into a taxi home by fellow MPs.

The extraordinary scenes came during a six-hour drinking session that lasted until 2.30am on Wednesday, involving dozens of MPs and their aides.

Commons bars took a record £5,000 during the evening as taxpayer-subsidised Pimm’s, wine, beer and champagne flowed.

Witnesses said a ‘significant number’ of MPs who took part in the Budget vote were either drunk or under the influence of alcohol.

‘It was disgusting,’ said a female MP. ‘The chamber and the voting lobbies stank of booze and sweat.

'There we were, voting through the most drastic Budget in decades, and some MPs barely knew where they were, let alone what they were voting for. Some could hardly stand.’

A prominent Cabinet Minister was said to be slurring his speech.
    Pictured: Parliament

38? That's nothing. I intern at Child Protective Services and I just met the most trailer trash family yesterday where mom is 36 and has six kids and three grandchildren. One of her grandchildren is three years older than her own son. She has been in the system for her whole life and probably will be until the day she died. I'm going to assume that will be when she's a great-great-great grandmother at, say, sixty.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/07/15/140...k=omni_popular

WICHITA — He claimed his girlfriend hit him from behind in the head. What actually happened, police said, was that he was so drunk he simply fell over backward and hit his head Wednesday night.

He was so intoxicated, in fact, that his blood alcohol content was measured at .57.

Alcohol becomes toxic at about .40, Capt. Darrell Atteberry said. It's not clear how much the 40-year-old man drank to reach that alcohol level, he said.

The man fell at about 9:30 p.m. in his home in the 3000 block of East Longview. The man's girlfriend said she was in the bathroom when she heard a loud thud and found him on the floor.

He was transported to Wesley Medical Center, where he received eight stitches to close the wound on his scalp. He was admitted for observation.

Man Hit By Six Meteorites Is Being Targeted By Aliens

Radivoje Lajic first came to international attention in 2008, shortly after the fifth meteorite had crashed into the roof of his house in the northern village of Gornji Lajici.

And now, within the past month, another rock has hit the roof of his house, in defiance of all the odds - making it six strikes since the plague of meteorites began in 2007.

Experts at Belgrade University have confirmed that all the falling rocks he has handed over were meteorites. They are now trying to work out what exactly it is about his house that particularly attracts them. The strikes always happen when it is raining heavily, he says, never when there are clear skies.

Lajic has his own explanation, of course. After the fifth rock struck his house, he said: 'I am obviously being targeted by extraterrestrials. I don't know what I have done to annoy them but there is no other explanation that makes sense. The chance of being hit by a meteorite is so small that getting hit six times has to be deliberate.'

50-year-old Lajic has had a steel girder reinforced roof put on the house to protect it from the alien bombardment - which he funded by selling one of the meteorites to a university in the Netherlands.

'I have no doubt I am being targeted by aliens,' he adds. 'They are playing games with me. I don't know why they are doing this. When it rains I can't sleep for worrying about another strike.'
    + =

Teen charged after crash of horse and buggy in chase

LEON, An Amish teen who tried to flee police faces charges of alcohol possession and overdriving an animal after he crashed his getaway vehicle - a horse and buggy.
    Man, I love the Internets for letting me see this stuff.

My dear old Catholic mum, at 63 and not a grandmother, would've pissed herself laughing if she found an accidental chocolate cock.

Via MailWatch: Muslim bus drivers refuse to let guide dogs on board.

Blind passengers are being ordered off buses or refused taxi rides because Muslim drivers or passengers object to their ‘unclean’ guide dogs
    The facts:

A driver told a blind cancer sufferer to get off his bus when a woman and her children became hysterical at the sight of his guide dog. George Herridge, 71, told how the mum flew into a rage and shouted at him in a foreign language. A passenger explained she wanted him to get off the bus during the incident on May 20.

Mr Herridge, from Tern Close, Tilehurst, said: “Her child was kicking and screaming and someone off the bus told me her child was frightened of my dog. The driver said, ‘Look mate, can’t you get off?’ “I stood my ground. I had not done anything, my dog had not done anything and I was getting off the bus for no one.”
    So, the bus driver? Not a Muslim. The hysterical passengers? Possibly Asian, but the man is blind. The Mail? Bullshit munchers.