Page 69 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1780

Thread: News and Other Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    She actually is a certified medical assistant, but they aren't the authorities on anything. Most of the MAs do blood draws and vitals, as well as refilling scripts. The hierarchy where I work is such:

MD
    PA
    ARNP
    RN
    LPN
    CMA
    LNA

And then there's me, who knows more about a lot of stuff than even a lot of RNs, but because no one's heard of my letters, they don't listen to me. This MA, while a generally good intentioned person, has some really ridiculous ideas about 1) vaccination and 2) the government hiding the already discovered cure for cancer because it would "put the pharmaceutical companies out of business." My boss and I have both taken a stab at explaining how idiotic both of these things are, but she is a bit of Teabagger and just will not listen to reason.
    So, she's basically a half-educated grunt, then, so to speak? I wouldn't want her anywhere near patients and ffs, why isn't she discliplined for handing out medical 'advice' that could get patients hurt?

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    Unfortunately our boss was out today or I would have been in her office straight away for the "reduced immunity" comment. She has been reprimanded in the past for overreaching her scope of practice, though.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

Also, aren't medical workers required to be vaccinated? She could be bringing god knows what into a unit with immuno-compromised patients and kill them. I have zero tolerance for anti-vaxxers in general and ones who have the opportunity to expose others to their diseases in particular. Two doctors here have recently had to mea culpa on this one, although frankly I think they should have been disciplined. And kicked.

No, they aren't required to be vaccinated here. It depends on where you work. At our parent hospital, you have to or you lose your job. We are not instituting that policy until next year. At our facility, if you refuse vaccination this year, you have to wear a mask whenever you are in close contact with patients from December 15th until April. The only way you can get out of it is a) allergy to the vaccine in the past or to eggs, b) an history of Guillian-Barre syndrome, or c) religious exemption (though I imagine most people who would qualify for a religious exemption are not likely to work in health care in the first place).

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julius ebola View Post
    My mistake. Reality-based medicine is a CHOICE. She chooses her choice and I must respect that.
    Just like the choice to stick (supposedly) infectious lollipops in the post!

Quote Originally Posted by Other Piotr View Post
    Just like the choice to stick (supposedly) infectious lollipops in the post!
    The potential for someone to carry out a high-larious attack on random kiddies via this method is incredible. I can imagine all these Joker-esque characters making special rat-poison-laced lollies or getting their Hep.B-infected neighbours to have a lick. I mean, how stupid a parent do you have to be to both reject vaccinations AND accept random infective agents from strangers in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Churumbela View Post
    At our facility, if you refuse vaccination this year, you have to wear a mask whenever you are in close contact with patients from December 15th until April.
    I think they should have to wear a badge reading 'DUMBARSE' in big, red letters.

I can totally get down with that idea! They do the opposite - all of us who have been vaccinated wear stickers with a heart on them that say "I got it!" or something. Or "Vaccinated to protect you!" I can't remember.

it wouldn't even matter other pete's Avatar
    Coolest group on Facebook discovered: The Canadian Society for Gay Animals

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Ha! I thought of those penguins as soon as I saw the name of the group. "Brokeback Iceberg" even made it on our tv news the other day (and I must admit, they are pretty darn cute).

Naked man arrested after sea rescue in Poole Harbour
    A man has been arrested after being rescued naked from the sea in Dorset.

Coastguards received reports of a man in the water in Poole Harbour off Poole Town Quay in the early hours of Saturday.

The town's inshore lifeboat was launched to help the man but when the crew pulled him from the water they discovered he was naked.

The man, who was not injured, was arrested by police on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

A POLICE force is being sued over claims it used undercover DWARVES to carry out stop and searches.
    City of London Police has been hit with the barmy writ by a Russian doctor who also alleges its officers sexually assaulted him and tried to take his DNA for "covert biological experiments".

But Dr Alexander Sobko's £55,000 bizarre damages claim means the force will have to defend itself against the lawsuit - costing taxpayers thousands of pounds.

Dr Sobko's writ, issued on October 6, will be assessed by a judge in the coming weeks.

In it he alleges he was targeted twice by City of London officers in October 2006.

He claims he was first stopped in the capital's Chancery Lane after being spotted "doing exercises to refresh my mind" in the street.

Dr Sobko said he was searched by "two well-fed policemen and one well-fed policewoman" under the Terrorism Act before being taken to a police station for questioning.

In another rambling section he claimed he had refused a cup of tea while he was being quizzed "for fear of being poisoned".

A week later the Russian said he was approached by the dwarves who searched him without any explanation.

He claimed: "Two dwarf chaps approached the claimant smiling tensely, one producing something like a badge and expressing his desire to search the claimant on the basis of a Terrorism Act.

"As to the claimant's understanding, the policemen were using the Terrorism Act to make sexual advances as one of those cops was searching the claimant's space between legs for too long, smiling.

"He stopped doing so after the claimant asked what he was doing there."

Dr Sobko, who is acting for himself, wants damages for wrongful arrest, humiliation, degrading treatment, assault and battery, systematic harassment and trespass to goods.

His case will now be passed to another High Court judge, Master Barbara Fontaine, to consider in the next few weeks.

A City of London Police spokesman said: "The City of London Police is aware of the claim filed at the High Court and lawyers have been instructed to contest the allegations made by Dr Alexander Sobko."
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Do the courts there not have the ability to throw out frivolous claims? That doctor sounds like someone my neighbor should meet. They'd get on famously.