Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Thread: Neko Case!

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I love Neko so much, but I had to unfollow her on twitter. It is just TOO MUCH. I sympathize with just about everything she posts, but her likes and retweets just took over my newsfeed!

I think you can mute retweets by people you follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
    ^Seems she's sticking with pretty much the same setlist at each show so far, which is fine because it's great. I saw her the first week of the tour and she was amazing as always. Her voice was perfection, and she's so laid-back and funny.

I really like Gumball Blue though. Really the only thing I would have traded was Ragtime, because I've seen her close with it on all 3 of her shows shows I've seen now.
    I was actually really happy that she swapped the order last night and moved This Tornado Loves You to the end of the encore after Ragtime. I love Ragtime but Tornado was a better way to close the show I think.

Speaking of the encore - Pharaohs was another one that was otherworldly. My boyfriend definitely doesn't know the song and he still just looked over and mouthed "wow" afterwards.

She was absolutely stunning during the show at the Pabst. She was very chatty and funny the whole time. After Deep Red Bells she said "you guys, I fucked up about about 6 times during that song". However, it wasn't noticeable to me since I'm not a big fan of that song. On the other hand, there was another song where someone did mess up significantly and I think it might have been during Calling Cards. Something happened and then the entire band kind of stumbled and halted for about 1.5 seconds. Neko pretty much froze and in the cutest tone went "OH NO!"... and then they picked up where they'd left off. It was kind of cool. I wish there was a recording of it. Neko Case kept mentioning how nervous and excited she was about the teenage stage of the show, since it was the first one of the tour (but they had already played the setlist in Canada).

As for the setlist, there's always going to be something someone would have traded for something else. I think my biggest shock was the omission of My Uncle's Navy in favor of lesser new songs like Hell-On, Dirty Diamond or Gumball Blue.

Oh I thought Dirty Diamond was spectacular live; the drums sounded great and it was one of my favorites from the new album performance-wise (versus, for example, Last Lion Of Albion which I love on the album but didn't gain anything live and the vocals were too drowned out by the band).

I loved Last Lion of Albion live!!! Another highlight for me was Oracle of the Maritimes, and yet this one lady in front of me used it as her bathroom break! The one song I love on the album but ended up sounding a bit limp at the show was This Tornado Loves You. Dirty Diamond did sound good, but I would bet anything that My Uncle's Navy would have sounded epic!

I was at the show at the Beacon in NYC.

She was amazing! I last saw her in 2013 and had just been diagnosed with lyme disease (they caught it early, I'm fine)--I was not exactly feeling my best at that show, so I don't even remember it well, really. From what I do remember, though, she was much looser this time. And I prefer Hell-On to the last record by a large margin, so I preferred this setlist. The only song I didn't care for that she performed was "Man," but I never much liked that one to begin with.

She sounded fabulous, and hearing so many great songs one after the other was a reminder of how astonishingly talented this woman is. The Hell-On songs translated really well live--I think she did everything on the new record save "Sleep All Summer." I've seen her live once per album since The Tigers Have Spoken, so I've seen her several times but never multiple times per tour--I don't really have a sense of what she typically closes with. "This Tornado Love You" is one of my all-time favorites of hers, so it was great to see her pull that one at the very end. And she played "Look for Me (I'll Be Around)!" I love everything Blacklisted--when she played that one, I thought, "Damn, if there's ever a season 4 of Twin Peaks she needs to play this at the Roadhouse."

Awesome show. She's the best.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    And she played "Look for Me (I'll Be Around)!" I love everything Blacklisted--when she played that one, I thought, "Damn, if there's ever a season 4 of Twin Peaks she needs to play this at the Roadhouse."

Awesome show. She's the best.
    Right!? I turned to my friend after that one and said "I'm shocked no one has enlisted Neko to soundtrack a show or movie, esp some art house movie that has a tinge of creepy."

The show was stunning and loved the spread of songs she's playing this tour.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    And she played "Look for Me (I'll Be Around)!" I love everything Blacklisted--when she played that one, I thought, "Damn, if there's ever a season 4 of Twin Peaks she needs to play this at the Roadhouse."
    That's so funny, because during last night's show in Poughkeepsie, I turned to my husband during that song and said, "she should play at the Roadhouse!" It just really had that vibe.

Great show in Poughkeepsie too - really beautiful venue.
    I'll never forget that elongated, harmony scream Neko and the other singers did during "Hell-On." Wild shit!

Last night's show felt like a bit of deferred gratification, because I kinda got screwed out of a proper Neko show on July 4. I saw her opening for Ray Lamontagne at Ommegang Brewery, and while she was supposed to play an hour-long, 15-ish song set, they evacuated the venue and had us waiting two hours in our cars for a storm that never came. By the time she finally played, she had to cut the set to eight songs, only playing about 20-25 minutes.
    When they're calling
    From the edge

Quote Originally Posted by scottslean View Post
    Right!? I turned to my friend after that one and said "I'm shocked no one has enlisted Neko to soundtrack a show or movie, esp some art house movie that has a tinge of creepy."
    Someone needs to give Jean-Marc Vallée her number! Next time he does a Sharp Objects-esque show, he should give her a ring.

My first thought during episode one of Sharp Objects was that it needed a Neko song. Such a Neko vibe from that show.

I’m super bummed I didn’t get to see her this tour. She tends to skip Florida. Her Middle Cyclone tour show that I saw was incredible and she was actually sick with a head cold at the time.

Neko was a guest on a recent episode of The Hilarious World of Depression podcast.

https://www.apmpodcasts.org/thwod/20...better-places/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    My first thought during episode one of Sharp Objects was that it needed a Neko song. Such a Neko vibe from that show.
    Such a good call. That would've worked so well. I could totally imagine Runnin' Out of Fools being used.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    I could totally imagine Runnin' Out of Fools being used.
    That was the song that made me fall in love with Neko! I LOVE that song. I still think it's her best recorded vocal to date. Does she ever play this one live?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEP View Post
    Such a good call. That would've worked so well. I could totally imagine Runnin' Out of Fools being used.
    I was imagining Outro With Bees playing in the background. As short as it is, it seems to fit the show.

How's hope feeling today
    Tired and sick of this place
    Red wine is fast
    At the lip of your glass
    Saying I'm going to ruin
    Everything
    Everything

So it’s better my sweet
    That we hover like bees
    'Cause there's no sure footing
    No love, I believe