Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Libraries

That's so Shakespearean... Canoodlefish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. See View Post

Also, I just ran up to my pile of books to see how many colors I have, and I have mostly black spines. Freaking penguin!
    HAHAHA I know right?!! I wish I had bought the Penguin's David Copperfield instead of Oxford's. I have no rack to speak of, so there's nothing to display.
    "Never build a dungeon that you cannot get out of."

I will not make that joke because it's too obvious.

I have a stuffed shelf for fiction, a smaller one for my nonfiction books and poetry, and about thirty or forty books in piles all around the floor. I'd build another shelf, but I have neither time, money, nor room.

What joke? Books on the floor then how do you sweep?!! I wish my books were as accessible, but for the sake of less dustiness, they're all in plastic boxes, stacked one on top the other.

The rack joke, ofc.

I sweep around them, and then move them to the bed once a month to sweep underneath. I AM MESSY, deal with it.

What rack joke? Is it to do with rack being a slang for some sexual trifle? Well, I seriously have nothing to display!

Get a stool, a table, and put all your books on top! Girl I can't imagine

*from the fingers of an obsessive-compulsive floor sweeper-cum-mopper*

Speaking of the libraries of the famous, how about Gwyneth Paltrow's Religious Shelf?

Don't let the picture fool you into thinking it is ridiculous, it really is ridiculous! I mean, what if my Bible doesn't fit? Does it come with its own set of religious books that I have to pay extra for? What if my religion is Tori Corn Mother, where do I slot in my Piece by Piece?!!
    Last edited by Canoodlefish; 08-23-2011 at 08:16 PM.

^I think it's quirky and kind of interesting. I guess more of an 'art' piece than a functional bookshelf. Placing books to the right of left of these sculptural 'core' would just seem out of place and I need all the space I can get!
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

That's the stupidest bookshelf I've seen.

Her reasoning makes me barf. All of the religious texts are level with each other "because that's how [she likes] to think about religion." It's a GOOPy bookshelf for pageant queens and people who fancy their Telegraph Magazine grade furniture earning them a fatwa.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. See View Post
    That's the stupidest bookshelf I've seen.
    All your Penguins would line up nicely on a flat shelf though — they're all the same height! That's tantamount to saying: "I don't discriminate among my favourite classics, preferring Woolf over Joyce or prizing Rousseau above Voltaire; they're all the same really — dead, as we all shall be. But let's not dwell on morbid matters; what's for tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
    Her reasoning makes me barf. All of the religious texts are level with each other "because that's how [she likes] to think about religion." It's a GOOPy bookshelf for pageant queens and people who fancy their Telegraph Magazine grade furniture earning them a fatwa.
    Yeah, except they're not level! If the twunt was that concerned about Allegorical Book Height Issues, she'd have, you know, hsve them custom made to be ACTUALLY level instead of putting some on a higher pedestal. Fail all around. And you KNOW she'd be all over custom-made books.

Quote Originally Posted by quentcomp View Post
    All your Penguins would line up nicely on a flat shelf though — they're all the same height! That's tantamount to saying: "I don't discriminate among my favourite classics, preferring Woolf over Joyce or prizing Rousseau above Voltaire; they're all the same really — dead, as we all shall be. But let's not dwell on morbid matters; what's for tea?"
    My Penguins looks nice on the floor, tyvm! Especially because I just dusted them. And them being on the floor is how I view all of humanity: we all inhabit the same floor!

^Ha! Indeed! I recently dusted some books and a few silverfish ran out! (I had a bit of a silverfish problem in my last apt) - and this wasn't a good sign.
    Von Herzen möge es wieder zu Herzen gehn'

I had a silverfish problem for a while at university and it put me on edge. I was frequently found crawling on the floor screaming "GET AWAY FROM MY BOOKS, YOU BITCH."

I don't have silverfish problem *knock on wood* but once suffered book mites; I had to blow-dry all, I repeat ALL my books from cover to cover. Fingers crossed it annihilated them, because I didn't really check properly.

I'd rather take silverfish over bad book borrowers. I once lent my beloved Rilke to someone and got it back with a large pudding stain on one of my favorite poems. I almost cut a bitch. I'm not the cleanest reader, but I would NEVER defile my books with food stains! Or any other stain except pencil and pen.

Now I never lend my books to anyone.