Page 166 of 166 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166
Results 2,476 to 2,489 of 2489

Thread: Pet talk

Sending purrs and good paws!

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Thank you!

Let us know how Ollie is doing! Best of paws!

Thank you!

From the other surgeries, there is hardly any tissue left in the leg, so he was only able to close it about 70%. 30% is still an open wound. He needs one tooth removed and he's doing that now. Pain meds 2x a day for 5 days and anti inflammatory pill 1x for 3 days (that sucker is getting crushed up with his food). He needs to come back Friday to have his bandage changed and then every 3 days for a couple of weeks. It's $80 each time from the pet transportation place, so that's going to be fun to come up with. Does that seem excessive for bandage changes? Last time he had TWO huge tumors removed from that leg, and he only went in twice for a change and checkup.

I'm going to have to find some way to keep him from jumping for 5 days at least too. I know he's going to try to jump up on the couch though. no clue how I am going to prevent him from jumping. Even if I locked him in the bathroom, he jumps on the toilet which is actually higher up off the ground than my couch. I guess the couch is so low that it's less of a concern than my windows are. The weather has been amazing and he loves to go in the windows, which are pretty high up. I'm worried he'll try to get in one. I looked into getting a really big dog crate, but it wouldn't even be here until the weekend, at which point it's useless since the next 2-3 days are going to be the most important.

My stomach is a mess from all of this stress. Can I fast forward to when he's healed? I have no clue how to get the pain meds down him either. My mom used to handle that because she didn't put him with his "I'm going to scratch you to death and bite off your finger" bullshit, but I'm terrified.

ETA: Jesus. Vet just called and he also has an ear infection in both ears, so now I also have to clean his ears and give him drops for the next ten days. I have NO idea how I am supposed to get him to let me do that. He's going to be in an awful mood as it is, and on a good day he won't let me near his ears.
    Last edited by just owls; 08-30-2017 at 09:16 PM.

just owls, I'm so sorry to read all this.

I had to deal with something like this with my cat as well. It broke my heart to see him ill, and it made me feels super guilty it was such an ordeal to get the medication to him, which caused him so much more stress, but was really needed in order for him to get better. He always sensed when I put something in his food and then refused to eat at all. What did work in the end though, was easy pill. Somehow he loved the smell of it and devoured it, ignoring the pill hidden inside it. But any fluids was a real nightmare.

I've shed so many tears during that time. Out of frustration, and guilt. I always told him how sorry I was, when he hid from me after the entire ordeal. And sometimes nothing would work.
    I hope for you that somehow he'll accept his medication etc...I wish I could give you tips and advice, but I don't really have any. Just here to give you some sympathy. Because I know how important they are to us, and how seeing them ill is devastating, especially when you want to help them, and they don't seem to accept that.

I hope he'll fully recover. Hang in there!

I'm sorry you're going through this with Ollie. He sounds like a fighter. Please keep us posted about his recovery. If it's a pill you can possibly cut up into a fine powder, try mixing it with soft food or canned tuna. That's how I give my cat, Skitty, her meds.

If you can't cut it up or he refuses to eat it, you'll have to do it the hard way. I sympathize with you on the fear of jamming it down his throat. Arm yourself with towels and hope for the best! If he refuses to let you near his ears, try this.

I'm sorry you're going through this with Ollie. He sounds like a fighter. Keep us posted about his recovery.

Thank you all

So far, things are better than expected. He is in a LOT of pain and of course not taking his liquid pain med properly, so it's not all getting absorbed. He is not drinking yet or using the bathroom, but he wolfed down a whole can of food last night (more than he's eaten in a day for at least 2-3 weeks), and I mixed the food with a lot of water, so he is getting water.

Shockingly this morning, he let me put in his ear drops without a fight. Wait until I have to clean them. I was able to crush up his anti-inflammatory pull and mix it with 1/4 can of wet food this morning, which he ate within minutes. All things considered, I am stunned at how he's doing. Much easier than last time so far, where three people had to wrestle him to get anything done.

I don't think he's slept yet, so hopefully he passes out soon. He keeps yowling when he moves, so I know the pain is really bad. I wish the vet had given me pain PILLS, seeing now how easy they are to mix with food. The liquid pain med is the kind that cannot be mixed (it works by absorbing into the gums / cheeks; once it hits the stomach, it's useless).

Thank you all for the support. I'm sorry aekiameh to hear of how hard of a time you went through with your cat. I hope everything is back to normal now. Ollie actually had tears in his eyes this morning looking at me and I almost lost it. Surprisingly he was very lovey when I was petting him, rubbing his head on my hand. I think last time it was a good week before he let me pet him.

ETA: oh and this little bastard has been eyeing the couch, to jump up on, all morning. He can't even stand and he thinks he can jump. Hopefully he doesn't try it while I'm trying to sleep for the first time in 3 days.

Over all what happy news!

It's tough seeing them in pain. Hopefully, he'll heal faster than expected as well!

Oh, I hope so! I know in the past he has healed faster than they expected, but he's older now and also that leg has been operated on 3 times in 3 years, and there REALLY was barely any tissue to work with to stitch him up, so I'm not sure how that will affect the process. I am secretly hoping that next week when he goes in for his second bandage change, they tell me he's all healed and the stitches can come out, though it's probably unlikely. Last time he only had the bandage on for a few days, but this vet seems more cautious.

If he starts to freak with the ear stuff, try swaddling him. Wrapping Scampy in a towel was the only way I was able to treat his infected ears when I adopted him!

Honestly, he's been great with everything. I get his ears when he's sleeping so by the time he knows what's up, I'm almost done with the second. He only needed the pain meds for 2 days vs 5. He was already jumping up and down off the couch this weekend, as much as I tried to stop it. He's been doing amazing (I've been a wreck and not sleeping because I'm constantly worried something is going to happen). Today he's not eating as much as he should be, but he's been knocking out all of his food every other day, so I'm trying not to worry about it. It's suddenly very cold here and he just wants to sleep under the blankets.

He goes in Friday for another bandage change, but I am hoping he's healing so well they'll just take out the stitches. The vet was surprised last week by how fast he was healing in just 2 days.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    YAY OLLIE!!!

Thank you again so much!

What great news!