Page 159 of 161 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161 LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 2407

Thread: Pet talk

Senior Member grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar

So sorry Kari

I'm so sorry Kari.

Sorry for your loss.

That's so sad, Kari, but at least it was peaceful. I hope you're bearing up okay.

Arugh! My sweet Mia's bloodwork came back with elevated Kidney values. I'm not a fool. I knew this sort of thing was coming. She's 16.5 years old! We have get a urine sample to get more details.

Other than drinking a lot of water, she looks and behaves awesomely.
    Last edited by entropy; 02-16-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Paws crossed! Let us know!

Kidney disease is super common in older cats. With management some cats live for years!
    Quoting myself to remember this!

trapped in the worst timeline just owls's Avatar
    Ollie cannot catch a break. He kept excessively licking his leg and developed what I am 99% sure is a lick granuloma. I have $0, especially after his surgery and transportation fees wiped me out in September. So I've been managing it at home by trying to stop him from licking and applying Neosporin. Well, that worked for a while. It got worse lately and I've been emaling literally every vet in the city, as well as every shelter with a vet and every resource that claims to help people with vet bills when they cannot afford them. Every door slammed in my face.

Last weekend, suddenly it basically tripled in size and because so painful for him he was in constant agony. Stopped wanting to eat, could not get comfortable even to lay, just wanted to sit in one place and not move. His normal lovey all-of-me self could not be cheered up by anything, he even had tears in his eyes several times. I was ready to give up and have him put to sleep just to end his misery since I could find no help, when yesterday morning I emailed a local blogger who gets involved with animal shelters, just to ask if she had any resources I had not tried. She did have one.

I emailed them yesterday morning and immediately they told me they could help. I don't drive and the pet transportation service is $90 each way, so knowing I have no money, one of the founders of the organization volunteered to take him, wait with him, and bring him home. They also said they would pay for 100% of his treatment. I could not believe any of this. How do these women exist? How come none of the hundreds of resources I found listed them? It's like a miracle. This morning she came to take Ollie to the vet because she wanted him seen right away.

She arrived with a bag of handmade blankets for Vera and Ollie, and toys for Vera so she didn't feel left out. She's with Ollie right now. He's been sedated and they're going to clean his wound. They're doing a biopsy and sending him home with pain meds and I think antibiotics. We'll see what happens when the biopsy is back. I don't think they want to pursue treatment without making sure it's not cancer, since I won't go down that road and they also cannot afford to spend that kind of money on treating a likely futile cause.

I really, really hope this helps him. I at least want him to be comfortable and eat. If that time has come, I can handle it only because seeing him in this much pain makes me want to take all of that pain on so he doesn't have to feel it anymore.

The bad part? For some reason, the vet is having ME bandage his leg. Which... what. In the past he's had to be sedated to have bandages changed, so how the fuck am I going to do this without one of us dying?

Any good vibes for Ollie are needed and appreciated. And also tips on how to bandage the leg of a cat who scarred my hands badly when I tried to brush his fur. Also I have gotten 0 hours of sleep this week and am literally walking into walls at this point, so that should make it extra interesting.

So I definitely need a heavy dose of good vibes.

Poor Ollie woke up during his procedure! They had to use even more gas on him to knock him back out. Apparently, he was fighting everything the whole time. It took them almost an hour to get him back in the crate to send home.

It seems he wasn't given antibiotics, which seems off to me, but I don't feel right questioning anything. He was sent home with 3 doses of painkillers, to start tomorrow.

No bandage now. Once they cleaned it up, it was clear that the way it is, the bandage would not help much and might even rub and make it worse. The wonderful lady who took him and spent all day with him ordered two soft collars for me to try out tomorrow, so I hope he'll wear one and can get around / eat with it without trauma.

She laid it out for me when she dropped him off. Of course, she knows already if it is cancer (the vet doesn't think so, but has to make sure), I don't want to go forward and treat it.

However, even if it isn't, it all comes down to he needs to stop licking. There is a surgery they could do to remove it or most of it, except because he's had three major surgeries on that area, there's not enough skin to close any incision. Last time his surgery, they couldn't close it all the way either, which might have why this happened in the first place.

The other possible options are antibiotics and steroids long-term to hopefully make him stop licking, but steroids are of course not without their awful side effects.

Nothing is going to work if he does not stop licking, and even if the collar ends up not being the worst thing for him, I don't want him to have to wear one for the rest of his life.

She said it's up to me, but if he keeps licking it and it keeps getting worse / not going away / coming back, it's really a quality of life issue. I agree. I cried all night last night realizing that. It feels so fucking STUPID to be talking about possibly putting him to sleep because he can't stop licking his leg, but he's been in so much pain and misery that it doesn't matter what the cause is, I could not let it go on.

She's absolutely incredible. She said if I make the decision at some point that it's time, they will pay for a vet to come to the house so he's not further traumatized and he can be put to sleep at home.
    Last edited by just owls; 03-31-2018 at 08:30 PM.

I've been sending good vibes! There are some amazing people in this world. I am glad that you found one to help you with Ollie.

Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I really, really hope this helps him. I at least want him to be comfortable and eat. If that time has come, I can handle it only because seeing him in this much pain makes me want to take all of that pain on so he doesn't have to feel it anymore.
    Spoken (written) like the best pet owner ever!

Thinking of Ollie and hoping for the best, owls.

He has cancer. I really, really need some outside opinons here. Please.

The vet said it is the type that is almost always localized so the risk of spreading is low, but it's aggressive and even removal will not be enough. It's hard to get clean margins, so it will keep coming back. She said amputation is the only option. This vet doesn't have experience with hind leg amputation in cats but said if it was her cat, at his age and size (part maine coon and prone to arthritis as it is), it might be just buying some time and that assumes he adjusts to the amputation. Most are done on younger cats who have more time to adjust. At some point, all of the pressure on his other legs will likely result in arthritis and then it's changing one pain for another.

I'm not even sure if it's an option since the rescue place would have to agree to pay for it, and I am not sure they would. But even if they would, I have no idea what to do. I cannot stop crying. Since my mom died, Ollie is truly the only thing that ever brings me joy and the only love in my life. I cannot imagine losing him and here I am facing that choice.

Right now, when he's not on pain meds, he's in a lot of pain, not at all himself, and just miserable. and keeps ripping the tumor open and bleeding all over, EVEN WITH a cone of shame. The cone is another thing making him just miserable.

With the pain meds, he's like superman, but he ran out of those days ago.

It's hard for me to reconcile the image of him running around and making biscuits on his blanket just days ago with possibly putting him to sleep days from now.

I don't want him to suffer any more and don't want to let it get so bad that he can't walk or he's even more miserable. And even if money was not a factor, I am not sure how I feel about amputation at his age, and given all that he's been through. When he's had his leg surgeries, he always recovers like a champ, but that's a few days of hopping around on three legs, not a lifetime, and he can always put his foot down when he needs it. Without that option? Or if he doesn't recover quite well? If he keeps tipping the litter box over like he does when recovering from his other surgeries?

I've never put a cat to sleep that was not at death's door. I'm faced now when the decision of even if it's an option to get the amputation, do I want to go through with it and put him through a horrible experience with an unkown outcome, or do I end his life early.

Please someone tell me what the fuck I should do. What would anyone here do?

I am so very sorry you having to deal with this.
    Last edited by entropy; 04-10-2018 at 12:04 AM.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by just owls View Post
    I don't want him to suffer any more and don't want to let it get so bad that he can't walk or he's even more miserable. And even if money was not a factor, I am not sure how I feel about amputation at his age, and given all that he's been through.
    I think the answer is right here Melissa. I know how much you love him but if it were me I would chose quality of life over longevity.

I agree with Kala! I had written something more but edited away.

I have a 17 year old. I love her more than just about anything on the planet. For that reason, I wouldn't want to see her suffer.

Difficult. I am sorry.