Page 1 of 165 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet talk

Pet talk

c33 suggested a pet talk thread. I have a question about cat brushes, so here it is.

I got a Wahl slicker brush and it is useless. The kittens like the feel of it but it doesn't pick up any fur. I just noticed that the packaging says "for use on fine hair". Maybe that is the problem. Anyone have advice on a good brush for short hair cats?

I use a wire brush like this one. It seems like it would be painful, but Minka reallllly likes it. Leo gets kinda weird (starts rolling around and biting), but he doesn't leave so I think he's okay with it. It picks up the hair really well.

Thanks. That does look a little vicious but maybe I will try one like it.

[ validated ]
    I mainly use a double sided brush --pins on one side (w/ lil caps on the tips) and bristles on the other. I also have a furminator brush that I got thanks to a recommendation on @ from Nancy. It’s a good brush and definitely does what it says (brushing gently is all that‘s required), but I find my cat seems to shed more when I use it as an all-over brush. I do, however, find the furminator to be the perfect tool for pulling out those matted clumps of hair she gets from time to time. Just position it at the base of the matted portion of hair and slowly pull up. Although, you probably won't need it for this, since you have a short haired cat.

Hope you find something that works!
    Last edited by C33; 01-12-2011 at 10:55 PM.

I also use the furminator. One of my cats is a MAJOR shedder and the amount of hair I'm able to brush off is crazy. She loves it, though.

we use that same wire brush that jaypea linked to. i guess it does look a bit brutal my cat loves it. until he doesn't and then he will let you know IMMEDIATELY. it does a really good job though!

[]

Quote Originally Posted by lioness View Post
    Thanks. That does look a little vicious but maybe I will try one like it.
    It looks scary but trust me, it works well and cats LOVE it.

I also use a brush like that on Izzy because she has such a thick coat. If I put it off too long, she gets really dandruffy. When I use that brush, I'll end up with a giant MOUND of cat fur that comes off her! It's kind of gross, but she also really loves it.

We'll see how brave you are. Bluebell's Avatar
    ^ Yeah, I've used those brushes on my dogs and they do work really well.

The furminator is amazing, but my cat won't sit still for long with it. The pet rake I have (not the one pictured, but you get the idea) comes in short and long fur varieties and pulls enough hair off the cat to make another cat - pretty much the same outcome as the furminator. It will work through matted fur and bring it off painlessly. Also, my cat tolerates it very well and in fact likes to turn around and rub her face on the sides during grooming.

Further love for the rake - my ex's cat was prone to violent outbursts and did not like being touched (vet visits always involved anesthesia because she was a safety risk), but she LOVED the rake and would actually run to you when it came out.
    Last edited by jeth; 01-13-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anj View Post
    we use that same wire brush that jaypea linked to. i guess it does look a bit brutal my cat loves it. until he doesn't and then he will let you know IMMEDIATELY. it does a really good job though!
    It picks up hair like crazy! I swear I could brush them bald with that thing. It fills up quickly and I have to throw the hair away and keep brushing. Sometimes I forget to throw it away and Minka gets confused when she finds her own hairball and tries to lick it.

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    LOL too cute!

flayed on the marble stairs
    How do you guys manage shedding pets? Is it all about brushing? Or does it require constant vacuuming? I've been dying to get a dog or a cat, but one of the few things holding me back is the prospect of drowning in animal hair. I can't stand animal hair. A friend of mine has two dogs, and every time I visit him, I want to run away screaming because of the hair. Are there any solutions, or should I just resign myself to adopting a naked mole rat?

Some breeds of cats & dogs shed less than others, and some none at all (dogs-poodles, cats-devon rex or hairless cats). I have four cats and we definitely have to deal with our share of cat hair. I always keep a lint roller handy and we vacuum/sweep on a weekly basis to keep it at bay. Brushing them makes a huge difference, especially if I do it every week. It just depends, really.

Minka's fur is medium-length, so I immediately thought she'd be a shedder. But she doesn't have an undercoat, so she sheds the least of all my cats.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    It picks up hair like crazy! I swear I could brush them bald with that thing. It fills up quickly and I have to throw the hair away and keep brushing. Sometimes I forget to throw it away and Minka gets confused when she finds her own hairball and tries to lick it.
    our cats do that too. what's up with that? i think it's so gross!

[]

two beavers are better than one! Robin Sparkles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupate View Post
    How do you guys manage shedding pets? Is it all about brushing? Or does it require constant vacuuming? I've been dying to get a dog or a cat, but one of the few things holding me back is the prospect of drowning in animal hair. I can't stand animal hair. A friend of mine has two dogs, and every time I visit him, I want to run away screaming because of the hair. Are there any solutions, or should I just resign myself to adopting a naked mole rat?
    That was one of my concerns, too. I just got my dog a couple months ago and he is a Vizsla/German Shorthaired Pointer mix. He hardly sheds at all! In fact, I don't even have to vacuum any more than I had to before him. I do keep blankets on the couches but really, it's not an issue at all.