Page 2 of 165 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet talk

Constant, constant vacuuming. I have hardly any carpet in the house so little furry tumbleweeds will start blowing through if I don't keep up with it. I have leather furniture which doesn't really hold on to fur, so that helps a lot not being covered in hair all the time.

One my kitties might have pancreatitis

Quote Originally Posted by Lo View Post
    One my kitties might have pancreatitis
    Oh, no. Leo was having major problems with his pancreas a couple years ago, led to an ER visit (with a week-long stay, and lots of kitty vet bills). It turned out the pancreatic inflammation was caused by a severe bacterial infection in his liver, which was ultimately cured with antibiotics. So don't get too worried yet - it might be something easily treatable!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    Minka's fur is medium-length, so I immediately thought she'd be a shedder. But she doesn't have an undercoat, so she sheds the least of all my cats.
    Yeah, that's the interesting thing about animals: you'd THINK that a long coat would always equal more hair. But my parents have two cats, and of the two the cat with the shorter hair sheds the most, while the medium-length one barely sheds.

Izzy has medium length but an undercoat, which is why it gets so gross.

I used to laugh at my mom for vacuuming on a daily basis but now I see why she does it (my dad has big pet allergies). There's never any cat hair to be found in their house!

Izzy gets brushed once a week, sometimes more if she seems to be shedding more because the seasons are changing or something.

We have mostly bare floors in our place so we also get the cat-fur tumbleweeds.

Thanks for the positive words! Her enzyme levels were only slightly elevated beyond the normal range, but it still needs to be investigated. I will have the lab results in a few days.

Right now we are "only" $600 into it, and I really hope that is it!

I recently got a Shark Euro Pro handheld vacuum because the pet hair attachment on my regular vacuum doesn't spin anymore. This thing is amazing. It not only pulled all of the dog hair off the couch (the dog sheds a ton) but at the bottom of the cup it had a ton of dander too. Bonus - washable hepa filter, and it was under $40. I very nearly bought a brand new full vacuum just to get a good pet hair device, but now I just use this.

Also, I used it to clean up because my boyfriend is allergic to cat dander. He spent an entire evening right where the cat usually sleeps and had no issues. I had been using those Scotch Pet Hair Pickup pads but I won't be needing those anymore.

I have my fingers crossed for you and your kitty, Lo!

Jeth, which attachment do you use on the sofa? I may have to get one of those. One of our kittens is shedding white fur everywhere.

On that handheld device I run the actual machine over the sofa (that front part with the bristles) - it has a very wide bristle path and the suction is as powerful as what my regular vacuum does on my floor. It goes up the sides and back of the couch beautifully. It also did a much better job on the stairs than the regular vacuum ever did.

The removable tube is handy if something spills, like the chewed up discarded bits of cat food that the cat spits out around her bowl and won't eat.

Have you ever tried a pet fur sponge? My mom and I both use them and we love them. After I use the sponge, I either pick up the clumps and toss them out, or I run my vacuum over the area. It's cheap, too! You can find them at Petsmart, Petco, etc.

I have not. How much do those run?

About $7 I believe.

Next time I am at the store I will check them out. Could be useful for places the hand vac can't go.

two beavers are better than one! Robin Sparkles's Avatar
    It's days like today where I realize how EXPENSIVE pets are! Dexter is getting neutered on Friday, plus microchipped plus a refill on his medicine for his demodectic mange. Total cost? $325! This is after I just paid for five more doggy day care sessions. Geez! I also now have to get him registered with the city ($9.50) and we're also joining the local dog park association ($40). Dexter needs to go get a job or something to help out!

I did end up getting insurance on him (I think we talked about this on @ or a different thread on unf?). I did ridiculous amounts of research and ended up going with VPI. They will end up reimbursing me for $120 of his visit Friday - unfortunately his manage is a pre-existing condition so he won't receive any coverage for it.

I have a huge and very solid brush for Norman that works like an absolute charm. It's made for the undercoats. It's very pricey as it cost almost $50. I can't speak enough of it.

I'm not quiet...I'm plotting. Abi's Avatar
    I've just got a rubber mitt for my two. Essentially it's only there to stimulate oils in the skin...they're a bit dry, bless them. Hopefully it'll improve once they're at the correct weight and regularly hydrated. I've also heard about giving them some sort of oil with their food every now and then but given the sensitivity of an older dog's tummy, I think I'll wait to see if it's even necessary.

One thing I WILL be partaking in however is giving them some natural bio yoghurt. These dogs are VERY windy and it absolutely stinks. Seriously, they clear rooms. Apparently it's quite natural for them to smell like that. I was upstairs and accused my fiance of making the smell but turns out it was the dogs who were still downstairs!