Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: $cientology

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar

Post $cientology

New Yorker staff writer and Looming Tower author Lawrence Wright is writing what his agent calls "the most profound reckoning to date" with Scientology, told through the eyes of director and apostate Paul Haggis. This should be good.
    More...
    The Academy Award winning writer and director, Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby, Crash), spent three decades in the Church of Scientology. Haggis was one of the church's Hollywood trophies, along with Tom Cruise and John Travolta, whose paths cross with Haggis's. His resignation from the church in August of 2009 was a crushing disappointment to the organization. This is the first time Haggis has spoken about his experience.

The roots of Scientology are explored in this book, particularly the life of its eccentric founder, L. Ron Hubbard, whose flashes of brilliance and insanity are woven into the fabric of this elaborate belief system. Through Haggis's eyes, we discover the appeal of Scientology, especially to talented and ambitious members of the entertainment industry. Haggis conducted a personal investigation of the church, in which he was told about the wanton physical abuse on the part of its current leader, David Miscavige, of senior members of the organization. He was told that young volunteers in the Scientology clergy, called the Sea Org, are subjected to conditions approaching slavery or imprisonment, and that many female members have been forced to have abortions.

The most profound reckoning to date with this powerful and secretive organization, The Heretic of Hollywood is also a moving human story of the lure of extreme faith and the price of leaving it.

This sound freaking amazing. I hope it gets a publisher and that Haggis and Wylie know what they're getting into i.e. prepare themselves for what the """""church's""""" has planned for them.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    sounds interesting. I wonder why he's not writing it himself. Maybe it'll be his next oscar movie?

I came across this blog, written by an ex-CoS - Leaving Scientology. It's a very interesting read, in particularly the latest (very disturbing) post, "OperationRFP: Restoring People's Freedom".

^This defies logic and reason in free countries. I do not get it one bit, but at the same time if SouthPark can satirize CoS they must be losing their edge significantly.

I did not get to watch the video at work as god forbid I stream something but given its source (AU) my imagination is flying with ideas of how it went.

Here's the New Yorker article.

It's quite stunning. Written in a very fair-minded and even tone, goes out of its way to let Scientology respond to all claims made....thereby allowing the organization to hang itself with its defensiveness and bald-faced lies.

It's a really great article. Super long, but utterly fascinating.

On page 8....was reading it on my phone but then I noticed there are 26 pages. Already very engrossing.

I thought that 26 pages was a bit much, but it was engaging and I ended up spending the last hour reading it. Iit was informative and well written. I'm really glad it's out there.

Wow. Very interesting. (And long twss.)

How telling that L-ron took his system to the psychiatric community first. He was for them before he was against them.

It's been a tough week for the Church of Scientology. First, Comedy Central announced the creators of South Park have signed on for three more seasons. And now, the Village Voice's Runnin' Scared blog has flagged a Scientology hip-hop music video — apparently intended for internal church use — that will be hard to forget once you've watched it.

Thought to be the title track of a CD titled Dauntless, Defiant, and Resolute by a hip-hop artist called Chill EB, the featured song is soaring synth-rap in the style that was all over Top 40 radio around the time of T.I.'s "Whatever You Like" — only in this case, it's all about the awesomeness of "the IAS," a.k.a. the International Association of Scientologists. "We've got the greatest campaigns this world has ever had," asserts the rapper, over a video that shows breakdancing, synchronized fist-pumping, and a whole lot of framed certificates. The evil Lord Xenu doesn't stand a chance.

WOW.

Honestly, they make it too easy for us, don't they. And by us, I mean me:

Every scary thing you've heard about this cult is true. And it is worse than you can imagine. The celebrities you see trying to persuade the public that it's a harmless, beautiful religion are incredibly insulated from the true events that a huge percentage of the church experiences. The church has suffered greatly because of the Internet exposing their materials and all of the horrendous deaths (Google Lisa McPherson). And if you want a good laugh, look up materials for OT3.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    I protested them for 3 years back in NYC, at first it was serious business and then it turned into lulz when they started stalking us and sending out C&Ds. People like Jason Beghey came out to show support when we protested at Katie Holme's broadway debut.

I know the whole Chanology (anonymous protest movement against Co$) really helped give people the platform to come out and write books and talk about all the abuse that goes on.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up

Seriously.... if you want a very well researched and professionally written book about this dangerous cult, you need to read "Inside Scientology" by Janet Reitman. The fight she details between the cult and the IRS is unbelievable.

Frangi, did they walk up to you or others and start bombarding you with "What you your crimes? What crimes have you committed?" They might even ask "Have you killed and raped babies?" Jenna Elfman actually asked that question to a man on an LA street who was wearing an anti-Scientology t-shirt that pissed her off. This is the "tech" that ol' LRH created to deal with us SPs (suppressed persons, the anti-Scientologists). There is an essay I found written by an ex-Scientologist claiming there is a simple response to this tech that will make most leave protesters alone. As you know, the signs saying "Scientology Kills", "Scientology Destroys Families", "Scientology Violates Human Rights" are true. The disconnection policy is in place to keep members away from people that could convince them to leave or cause them to question the religion. This ex-member wrote that if you retort with "Your family loves and misses you so much. There's a huge hole in their hearts where you once were. Your friends miss you and wish they had you back in their lives everyday", these people will almost recoil in shock. There are a LOT of people in the cult who disconnected from all family and friends. The disconnected and discarded are never talked about, ever. Scientologists brainwash members into believing these SPs never existed.

If you want a great accounting from many former high level Scientology executives and ex-members, Reitman's book is highly recommended.

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Pines, Ma View Post
    Frangi, did they walk up to you or others and start bombarding you with "What you your crimes? What crimes have you committed?" They might even ask "Have you killed and raped babies?" .
    Yes, they did all this and more. It's called the "confront and shatter" technique. Their higher level OT members used to "confront and shatter" as well and a couple got RPF'ed because of us directly. ( ) We had an ex member with us who was still getting reports from the inside. There is some pretty crazy footage of this all over youtube.

At one point, during Katie Holmes Broadway debut protest (yeah protesting there was tacky but we did it once for the press) a dozen or so Co$ members handed out fliers to the public standing in lines with pictures of each of the 'regular' protestors, along with their names, internet alias, job and home address. While the protestors actually had a message, the Scientology efforts just made them look MAD CREEPY. People were holding these fliers going "uh ....what. why do i have this?" all the while the Scis thought they were super slick and really fucking with us.
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up