Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The All-inclusive Tracy Chapman thread

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar

The All-inclusive Tracy Chapman thread

Tracy Chapman
    I just downloaded her latest album "Our Bright Future"

What a beautiful, lyrical work it is.

I think Tracy was the first "deep" artist I really got into until Tori came along.. in my life. In a lot of ways their lyrics are the ones that touch me the most out of any singer/songwriters.
    I love all of Tracy Chapman's memorable singles.. we could all go on and on about the beauty that was Fast Car, Baby can I hold you tonight, The Promise, Give me one reason.
    But when I fell deeply in love with her songcraft was when Let It Rain was released. It came out for me the same time Scarlet's Walk came out, so I was abundantly blessed by great music. Let it Rain has some of the most amazing songs.
    You're the One - "Uncouth, Untamed, and Unrestrained" was my mantra that year.
    Happy - Broke my heart at every listen
    Almost - Again so heart breaking.. you can really feel something intimate about Tracy here, I wonder if it was about her and Alice Walker.
    Hard Wired - Was a true social commentary
    and I am Yours - the most spiritual song in my life.
    I can pretty much play a majority of her early songs on guitar, but I spent months learning all the songs from Let It Rain.

Our Bright Future has a song called Save Us All. It is incredible.

and live

I think with religion.. Tori has taught me to question things like Mary and the Magdalene.
    Tracy has taught me about letting God love me even when others have told me he doesn't.

Ive never seen her live. I almost did when she was at the Murat in Indy.
    Have you seen her?
    Are there any youtube vids you would like to share?
    What songs touch you?

I am completely unfamiliar with her album "Where you Live" I just haven't got around to it.. don't remember there being a big push for it by the label or any promotion.. so it has slipped through the cracks.. But after I spend some time with Our Bright Future, and have more money, I will download it.
    Last edited by Volta; 01-18-2011 at 09:17 AM.

I love this version of Sing For You

Well I purchased "Where you Live" released in 2005, and I have to say, I am glad I listened to Our Bright Future first (before) because Where you Live is not good. I might have given up on any later release. "Change" and "Never Yours" are the only good tracks. "America" is alright, but I don't like the lyrics, or really understand what she means by them.
    The rest of the tracks are slow, two-chord fillers.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Wow, Where You Live is my second favorite Tracy album behind Telling Stories. Talk To You, 3000 Miles, Never Yours, America, Taken, Before Easter. Just a brilliant album IMHO. Our Bright Future was much more filler - not a bad album, but a bit more by-the-numbers.

Let it Rain for me is one of the most important albums I've listened to. I bought it the year I started university, away from everyone and everything I knew. I was very depressed. Listening to this album gave a voice to what I was feeling. It was very comforting. I don't listen to Tracy as often as I used to, but that album will forever hold a special place.

Nick, I think that is pretty cool that two people can have such extremely different reactions to a work of art. I will listen to it more now that you said that. See if it can't marinate a little on me.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

^ Yeah, to be fair, I don't think I loved it at first, but it grew on me hugely during a rough time. I remember walking five miles in Seattle alone and lonely listening to that album on repeat, so I do have some bias.

Telling Stories is absolute perfection though. First Try is just brilliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Telling Stories is absolute perfection though. First Try is just brilliance.
    Different strokes, I guess....Telling Stories was her most boring album IMO.

I didn't think anything could be more boring than Crossroads or Matters Of The Heart THOSE are what I consider filler material. But yeah, I guess there's not a lot of common ground here. I think all four albums from Telling Stories through Our Bright Future represent Tracy's best (although I have a hard time ranking the debut; I think it's great, but almost a different artist).

yeah, the first album is such an outlier. It doesn't really represent her output well at all.

I think Telling Stories is the best all-rounder (and the one I'd recommend to new fans). Though Let It Rain is my favourite. Really liked Where You Live....found Our Bright Future like a Where You Live rehash. But she retreads ground all the time. She's one of the few artists like that that I enjoy.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Apparently someone sang "Fast Car" on Britain's Got Talent and the effect seems to be taking place - it is at UK #4 in the midweeks, which is higher than its original peak some 23 years ago (#5). Wonder if it can hold on.

hmmm. thanks for the head's up, menju. I will look for it on youtube.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    Yep, it managed to beat its original peak in 1988 - this week's No.4.

Anyone have any news about a new album or anything? I think if you go by her release dates she is overdue for one.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

I check all the time, but haven't heard a peep in forever! Usually this site is even more up to date than her homepage, but not much there lately either...

http://www.about-tracy-chapman.net/