Thread: Why doesn't a website load on a single computer?

Why doesn't a website load on a single computer?

I've been trying to get to a particular website for about a week and Firefox/IE both immediately give me a "Problem loading page/unable to connect" error. They don't even attempt to load the site when I type in the URL or hit refresh -- it goes straight to that page. The site worked fine previously. I assumed the site was down so I just kept checking it periodically.

For the hell of it, I checked the site on my iPhone tonight and it loaded. The iPhone is connected to my wireless network here at the house. Then I tried it on my laptop and my work PC, both connected to the same wireless internet, and it works fine. So it appears it only fails to load on my main PC.

The first thing I tried was resetting my modem and router. Then I checked my hosts file to make sure nothing was redirecting; the file is empty. I did a DNS flush and it didn't change anything. I also did a tracerout (cmd /k tracert www.website.com) from a command prompt and it didn't even go anywhere, it just automatically said "1 General failure. Trace complete." I've scanned for malware, adware, and viruses -- all came up empty except for some tracking cookies that I got rid of. The computer has been rebooted, my internet history has been cleared, etc.

Any ideas on what I can try? Has this ever happened to you before? I'm about to tear my hair out. I'm using Windows 7, if that matters.

I did some reading online and someone suggested editing the MAC address in the router preferences to a user-defined one. I tried this and the site worked for about 5 minutes, but now it's back to "Page cannot be displayed."

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Try

nslookup www.website.com

and

ping www.website.com

from the cmd prompt.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Pinging it did nothing. I got four "General Failure" messages and then it told me there was a 100% loss.

Nslookup gives me dns-redir-1b-01.tampabay.rr.com...

Sorry Ryan, I have no clue. I had the same problem accessing Demonoid. It worked on all the other computers in my house, except for mine. Luckily the problem went away when I reformatted.

Try:
    • Uninstall the network adapter (Windows should reinstall it automatically) followed by a reboot if necessary.
    • "netsh int ip reset log.txt" from the command prompt followed by a reboot.
    • "net stop dnscache & net start dnscache" from the command prompt.

Disclaimer: This post was posted in Computers and Technology...
    It doesn't work the way I want it to, so it must be bugged.
    www.wowpedia.org/User:Egingell
    wow.curse.com/members/egingell.aspx

^ Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I got the same result as before... the site works for about 5 minutes, then goes back to not loading.

I tried a ton of stuff last night and everything resulted in the same. It's frustrating that this is happening only on one computer. I've been able to access the site from two other computers in the same house, using the same router. The only difference is that they both connect wirelessly and this one is connected directly to the router.

I also tried setting up a second user account on this PC to see if it was only specific to this particular account, but it didn't work on the new user account either.

Why is this happening to me? beanstew's Avatar
    Try using nslookup but specifying a DNS server by ip.

nslookup www.website.com 8.8.8.8

8.8.8.8 is a public DNS server operated by google.
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

^ Yes, it shows up that way. And I did try changing my Static DNS on my router to the Google ones (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) but that also resulted in the site working for 5 minutes and then promptly stopping again.

Have you made the website you are trying to use a trusted website?

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

halp!

About two weeks ago, my laptop stopped loading Google. I tried Bing, and it won't load either (but Yahoo will). I think I found the answer, but I don't understand what they're saying to do. Here is the error and a link to a site I think might have a solution. Can anyone interpret what I should do?

http://community.spiceworks.com/topi...or-bing?page=1

Sorry I can't help you, but I've been having problems loading Google and Google docs for about the last two weeks too, and there are others that apparently do too. So maybe we just have to wait.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I had a worm once that refused to let me google my symptoms. That was part of its code so you couldn't remove it. I had to use another computer to figure that out. So run your malware/virus checkers just to be sure.

^ I've seen malware disable search engines, and also make it impossible to run an .exe file to install anti-malware software. Run Malwarebytes Anti-malware. If you have trouble with it, there are instructions somewhere to run it from a USB stick. That'd be the first place I looked. I registered at Bleeping Computer or some similar website a few years ago and they had me installing and running all kinds of tests, then they used the log files to customize a clean-up solution for me. It was a several-day process and I wanted to tear my hair out, but it did work. Since then, I've just backed up my personal files, formatted the hard drive, and reinstalled the OS. It's a PITA but it's still less of a PITA than cleaning up a compromised system.