Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The International Politics Thread

I hate that I have to work all weekend long and not watch enough news.

But I try to bring you the sauciest things, like this Facebook group The Mubarak Farewell Party. I think the title is hilarious, it will be held Sunday, January 30 from 1:00am to 11:00pm. It has more than a thousand members already! Feel free to join, celebrations are everywhere!

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar

^
    Name: Omar Suleiman
    Profession: Criminal
    Experience: Lifetime
    Hobbies: Traitor
    Skills: Murdering, torturing
    Achievements: Gaza Siege...

TBC

What? I always heard he was a fun kind of guy. Great at parties!

Sorry, wait. Wrong Omar. Wrong Suleiman.

Oh boy, I only hope that WWIII can be averted somehow.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Nancy,
    That's what I'm talking about. Everyone is so worried about what America thinks, how England feels. No. Tell me what Iran's innitial reaction was, cuz Lord knows they choose to step in and "help" any of these nations at protest out... it's on.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Egypt and Israel going at it again is what I'd be afraid of.

^ Here is an article about Iranian opposition leader Mousavi who shows his support to the Egyptian uprising. Clearly Teheran is not in favor of this...

After shutting down the telecommunication systems (internet and phone), Egypt is now targeting the media by shutting down the Al Jazeera bureau in Cairo.

On a side note, joke of the day on Facebook:
    Israel changes its relationship status with Egypt on FB to "it's complicated".
    Lebanon, Syria & Palestine 'Like' this

A must-read blogpost from Kenan Malik (where has he been all my life?) on how the Muslim Brotherhood was supported by the secular government as an attack dog on progressive elements in the country; also as an insurance policy to maintain Western support ("It's us or the Islamists").

http://kenanmalik.wordpress.com/2011...m-brotherhood/

A Norwegian newspaper is claiming to have talked to people who witnessed criminals being let out of jail to create more chaos and confusion. But instead of doing that, many prisoners instead joined the civilian protesters/vigilantes. edit: In Egypt

Friday February 5, 2011.
    The Day of Wrath in Syria.
    5,000 fans have joined the newly created group on Facebook in less than a couple of days.
    THAT will have to be watched closely.

In Egypt, heavy artillery is being used on the protestors. Conflicting reports say Egypt is getting arms from Israel. Oh the irony

In Tunisia, the banned Islamic leader Ghannouchi has returned from London after years of exile. The Tunisians fear his influence and his coming to power which could lead to ensuring an Islamic state as opposed to a laic one.

Anne Appelbaum encourages nervous Americans in simple language they can understand to embrace the instability:

"...the 'stability' we have so long embraced in the Arab world wasn't really stability. It was repression."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...013004322.html

In other world events... official results are in in South Sudan Sudan, 99% has voted to secede from the north.
    And in Sudan (nothern region), a student protestor died after being assaulted by the police in Khartoum. Inspired by the anti government protests in Tunisia and Egypt, "the demonstrations in Khartoum and its twin city, Omdurman, were against the high cost of living and the lack of political and social freedom in Sudan."

I'm glad people are taking a stand, and of course mortality is something I wish would be avoidable, but at te same time all power to them. I'm seeing all of this happening there and keep thinking about the situation in Argentina, where several of my relatives live. Ten years ago that nation was bankrupt and things was getting better, but now they are just letting its politicians to ass rape them with all sorts of ridiculous taxes, while stripping any form of income the country has left because they used the money to buy themselves into power. And when I say they, I really mean the Kirschners.

Well, I can't say this is surprising, but it's still sickening.

Canadian flight from Cairo blocked by officials
    Airport officials demand $2K from passengers before cancelling flight

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/...-evacuees.html