the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar

Cool reasons to be childfree for you and me

it just needs to be said again:
    money
    sleep
    flexibility to be lazy, travel, stay up late, sleep in
    no sticky fingers in your hair, on your clothes, or on your walls
    no sassy bratty tweens and teens

those are some of my reasons. as well as the fact that i dont have the patience nor the desire for parenting. gimmie your reasons again. ive forgotten in the move.

A Matter Of How You See It Kala's Avatar
    Never had a burning desire to be a mom. Is that sufficient? Not sure about for you, but it works for me.

the reichenbach hero fox in socks's Avatar
    i always felt fraudulent talking about "when i have kids" with my gotta-be mom friends back in the day. i shouldve known when i chose gi joes over cabbage patch kids. i figured eventually my rumoured biological clock would ramp up or something. ive given up on that. my boys grandmother should too.

I am really fortunate to have very loving and open-minded parents who didn't bug me about my choice.

two beavers are better than one! Robin Sparkles's Avatar
    I simply have no desire - nothing about having children appeals to me. I know so many parents that love their new "identity" as a parent and that's great for them, but a life of dirty diapers and sleepless nights is not something I want to partake in. I love my freedom, bottom, line.

two beavers are better than one! Robin Sparkles's Avatar
    Oh, and my mother wants more grandchildren (she already has four). She's not incessant about it, but she does ask when my boyfriend and I are going to start making babies.

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catie View Post
    I simply have no desire - nothing about having children appeals to me. I know so many parents that love their new "identity" as a parent and that's great for them, but a life of dirty diapers and sleepless nights is not something I want to partake in. I love my freedom, bottom, line.
    Yep, it's this for me too. I've never had even the slightest desire. And if that ever changes for some crazy reason, I'm sure I can logic my way out of it.

i dont have the patience nor the desire
    Never had a burning desire
    I simply have no desire
    I've never had even the slightest desire
    Seems to be a common thread here: we don't DESIRE having children. Damn good reason not to.

I like my nieces and nephews well enough, it's fun to watch them grow up and they're good kids. But I still have no desire to have one of my own.

fulfiller of the mullet prophecy eednic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Catie View Post
    Oh, and my mother wants more grandchildren (she already has four). She's not incessant about it, but she does ask when my boyfriend and I are going to start making babies.
    Ahahahhaha! My mother NEVER asks me that! I'm pretty sure she doesn't want me to have kids. Of course, I don't particularly want to have them either. Besides, Erik has 2 lovely daughters already. I'm sure even step-parenting them is going to be a big change for me/us, and I don't think adding more kids on top of that is in our best interests. Now, if I did get pregnant by some chance, I would probably have the baby. I think Erik is a great father, and I wouldn't want anyone else in my life to be my partner in parenting should I choose to have kids. But do I have the innate desire to pop one out? No, no I don't. I never have. I don't know if that will change or not.

Never had the desire, and also I think there are too many people in the world as it is.

My husband and I have been more...ambivalent as of late (surprising the crap out of both of us), but the cons still far outweigh the pros at this point in time. I like my freedom, and frankly, having a life in the theater would very difficult with a child to support.

While I do understand the population concerns, the world is still gonna plateau at about 11 billion sometime this century, regardless of whether more Ameri-European folks have a single kid or not.

And I also sort of agree with the prologue to Idiocracy in that most of the people who are actually having lots of kids are precisely the ones who, pretty objectively, shouldn't be having any and offsetting that with more children in progressive, secular households can only be positive.

Still, I've also never had the desire, and the time was never right.

My mother pines, but now that I'm divorced and my brother is married to an older woman who already has 5 and wants no more, she's resigned to the fact that her sisters are gonna get all the grandkids (my mom's losing 6 to 5 to none). Sorry mom.

Same here - no sustainable desire. Luckily neither my parents nor my boyfriend's parents bother us about it. My sister is 35 and trying madly for her first however - I think I will love being an aunt!

I have absolutely no desire to pop out some tiny life-sucking, poop machine. My mother would LOVE for my husband and I to have kids. My little brother just provided the first grandkid so I think I'm off the hook for a while. Although, I still get the "it's your turn now" bullshit *sigh*

The main reason is that childbirth is fucking gross... and the only ass I ever want to wipe is my own. >_<
    You don't have to do everything all by yourself.