Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: reasons to be childfree for you and me

I don't find pregnancy or birth disgusting either, and yet, I don't think they're miraculous either. Bodily functions that can just as easily be carried out by a gutter rat are not a miracle. I think the word "miraculous" gives more weight and value to a biological process than is warranted. I'm not saying that I don't give kudos to moms who have been through labor and delivery - no easy feat, for sure - but it is a choice. Not a miracle.

And aren't miracles something that happens on rare occasions? A baby is born every second of every day. Not exactly a miracle...

I think the process of creating another being (human or creature) is pretty weird and amazing, but so are lots of other things. Birth, on the other hand, I find violent and disgusting, especially since I found out that most women take a shit while pushing the baby out.

I knew this photographer when I worked in publishing who was so fascinated by the birth of his child that he had a massive photo of it crowning in his wife's vagina in the foyer of his house. Like, you walked in the front door and came face-to-face with a 24x24 close-up of his wife's vagina with a hairy head peaking out. NO. NO!

[ validated ]
    As I said, I find life itself to be pretty miraculous.. full of birth and death and rebirth.. a constant state of regeneration and transformation. The fact that I can plant a tiny seed in a the ground and a few months later be slicing open a watermelon, tomato, or pepper (etc) is pretty amazing to me. Anyone can plant a seed. It happens all the time. That doesn’t make it any less incredible.

At least not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by fux n sux View Post
    its funny. i get the "but youre so good with kids" thing..
    I get that all the time, too. Mostly from my mom, who thinks that by reminding me of the fact that children seem to like me, she'll encourage me to get knocked up.

Lots of people will say that they think my boyfriend would be a really great daddy, too, which I find kind of hilarious. I'm sure he WOULD be a good dad. I'd probably be a good mom. That means that you should do it? Uh, OK. What incentive.

I can barely take care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea View Post
    I think the process of creating another being (human or creature) is pretty weird and amazing, but so are lots of other things. Birth, on the other hand, I find violent and disgusting, especially since I found out that most women take a shit while pushing the baby out.

I knew this photographer when I worked in publishing who was so fascinated by the birth of his child that he had a massive photo of it crowning in his wife's vagina in the foyer of his house. Like, you walked in the front door and came face-to-face with a 24x24 close-up of his wife's vagina with a hairy head peaking out. NO. NO!
    Holy fuck. I can't imagine his wife being okay with that.

I was reading the letter to the editor section in my local paper and read something that put this thread in mind (with all the "miracle" talk). Some lady wrote in complaining about Lady Gaga and all her crazy fashion moments and behavior. She goes on to say that isn't being creative blahblahblah. She then goes on to say that the most creative thing a woman can do is to have a child. After I stopped gagging on my cereal I though, "What a horrible thing to say!" It goes back to what Kari said about it being something any animal can do. And yes, technically you created something but it hardly takes an actual talent like it would to, oh I don't know, write a song or play an instrument. Plus, I'm thinking what about those women who can't have children or simply don't want them? Somehow I'm supposed to believe they are creatively deficient? There aren't enough eye rolls in the world...

What I don't like to see is people who don't make any effort to plan their own lives. They will let fate or god decide when they have a child, when this is one of the few areas of life that you can make your own decision about, and plan for responsibly. I also see a lot of young people who seem to think of a child as an accessory, like Paris Hilton's dog.

^ or a good way to get a council house (according to a girl I knew in high school).

I couldn't cope with the responsibility (I leave bags on the train, forget to water plants) and, quite honestly, I'm way too selfish. Simple as. I like my £££ and my time to be my own. (And there's enough people on the planet as it is.)

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    What on earth is creative about spitting out a kid? I mean, you pretty much have nothing to do with it. Cell division is not a creative process, it's just something that happens naturally. That's not impressive.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

How am I not myself?
    Being able to have sex whenever you want to, without fear of a kid wandering in.

I'm sort of forced into responsibility for my nephew. My sister and the baby live with my parents and I (believe me, the tension in our house is so thick...yadda yadda yadda), so I get the fun of being "the aunt". So that means when my sister is at school or meetings, it's either my mom or me who ends up watching him. I do pass him off to my mom, a lot, because I just don't want to deal with it. I've lived 27 years without dealing with kids, so this is very new to me. Plus, I look up things on the internet to find out what the fuck I have to do, and people tell me it's my "motherly instincts" kicking in. No, I just want to make sure the kid doesn't die in my care!

I had to babysit yesterday for a friend's children. I love them. They are awesome kids. But I had to change a poopy diaper and now my vagina is closed forever!
    Click for Viggolicious goodness

Oh god, Aidan (the nephew) has some sort of ass rot or something, because the most foul things come out of his butt. And it's GREEN!