Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 1,081 to 1,094 of 1094

Thread: Depression/Anxiety

So, I still have the worst psychiatrist ever, but it's free and it's the only one I can afford right now (specially since the medication are 300% more expensive than last year). A couple of months ago I started noticing that Ambien was doing no effect on me anymore, so I started taking two per night. Still couldn't sleep. So fuck ambien, I asked him for something new, so he gave me zopiclone (according to Wikipedia, the brand names are Zimovane and Imovane). It worked for a while; I could sleep but I didn't rest. You know, like when you had a good sleep and you wake up with energy? Well, not the case with zopiclone (plus, I'm taking clonazepam and Lamotrigine, a.k.a.Lamictal. Fuck bipolar disorde type 2).
    So, as I have the worst psychiatrist, I told him I didn't want to take zopiclone anymore and I wanted ambien back. And he was ok with that. Man, I missed it so much. I am having one of those weeks where living is so fucking hard, but at least I know that I will sleep and the first minutes in the morning, when you are not still aware of your problems, are marvelous.
    I do have a great psychologist. Poor girl, she struggles really hard with me, I see that.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

I'm writing in this thread because I'm worried about a friend. He rencently moved to Madrid, he's originally from Dublin, but was travelling through South America for like a year before deciding to move here. But the moment he started living in Spain he's suffered anxiety. Apparently, ever since he moved here his confidence has completely disappeared and he's been having problems interacting socially and making friends. I'm pretty much his best friend here. I suggested counselling but he doesn't think that's for him, but I'm pretty sure that would be his best option.

Does anyone have any advice on dealing with a friend who is going through this?
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

Well, in my experience, if your friend doesn't think he needs therapy, he shouldn't go to a psychologist because it won't work. You can persuade him (is that a word, persuade?). Talk to him about people you know that had been through a similar situation and how they solved it, but do it like something casual, not like "im telling you this because you must go to therapy".
    And the best thing you can do: be there. Let him know that in those shitty days, you're there for him.
    When he woke up, the dinosaur was still there.

Yes, I know that if I force him it won't do him any good... one question though, he told me he doesn't think "talking to a stranger about his problems" will help... I wanted to tell him that's not what therapy is, but I didn't because I didn't have a good answer to what it is. What would you say to someone who thinks that?
    "A universe that needed someone to observe it in order to collapse it into existence would be a pretty sorry universe indeed."

these days just seem to crush me
    Can we talk about panic attacks, please? What do you use to quell the attack. right now i'm taking xanax .25 but i feel like i'm needing it near-daily. i fear i'm becoming too dependent and it doesn't seem to "kick in" as fast when i start feeling symptoms . Doc said i can take 2 when it gets really bad but taking 2 freaks me out too

My doc wants to put me on antidepressants,(SSRI) but i really don't want to take any because of side effects (okay, weight gain, i lost 30 pounds from my highest weigh (i gained some back) and still want to lose some more).

Gym/exercise has been a nightmare, inducing panic/anxiety so it's hard enough as it is to lose weight.

so what do you guys use?

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Can we talk about panic attacks, please? What do you use to quell the attack. right now i'm taking xanax .25 but i feel like i'm needing it near-daily. i fear i'm becoming too dependent and it doesn't seem to "kick in" as fast when i start feeling symptoms . Doc said i can take 2 when it gets really bad but taking 2 freaks me out too

My doc wants to put me on antidepressants,(SSRI) but i really don't want to take any because of side effects (okay, weight gain, i lost 30 pounds from my highest weigh (i gained some back) and still want to lose some more).

Gym/exercise has been a nightmare, inducing panic/anxiety so it's hard enough as it is to lose weight.

so what do you guys use?
    I have been taking xanax on and off since I was 16 years old. I only take when I absolutely need it, which is when I am having a full fledged no shit panic attack. Do not be afraid to take two if you need to - what you are doing by underdosing is just prolonging the symptoms. Now that I am older, .25 mg is pissing in the ocean. I don't get attacks as often as I used to, but when I do, sometimes I need .5 or .75 to knock that fucker out because they are very severe. Sometimes you need a bigger dose to stop it entirely, otherwise you're just rebounding. If that doesn't work you might want to ask about switching to klonopin which is longer acting. Ativan is another option.

In my personal experience, SSRI's do diddly squat for anxiety, but that's just my own experience. The only things that have helped me are pot (indica heavy strains only, will not stop a panic attack but has really helped with the day to day anxiety), consistent therapy, and yes, diet/exercise. The exercise induced anxiety is something I had to work through, because diet/exercise are THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of my managing my anxiety.

Insert something clever here iamstilljamiepoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I have been taking xanax on and off since I was 16 years old. I only take when I absolutely need it, which is when I am having a full fledged no shit panic attack. Do not be afraid to take two if you need to - what you are doing by underdosing is just prolonging the symptoms. Now that I am older, .25 mg is pissing in the ocean. I don't get attacks as often as I used to, but when I do, sometimes I need .5 or .75 to knock that fucker out because they are very severe. Sometimes you need a bigger dose to stop it entirely, otherwise you're just rebounding. If that doesn't work you might want to ask about switching to klonopin which is longer acting. Ativan is another option.

In my personal experience, SSRI's do diddly squat for anxiety, but that's just my own experience. The only things that have helped me are pot (indica heavy strains only, will not stop a panic attack but has really helped with the day to day anxiety), consistent therapy, and yes, diet/exercise. The exercise induced anxiety is something I had to work through, because diet/exercise are THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of my managing my anxiety.
    Would you care to expand on that, Kari? I think my struggle with anxiety would be helped quite a bit by exercise, but as noted the exercise-induced anxiety is a barrier. How were you able to get through it?

worth a million in prizes .chris's Avatar
    I've been on a low dose of Lexapro since October for anxiety and it has been pretty amazing. One of the best decisions I've made.

Quote Originally Posted by iamstilljamiepoo View Post
    Would you care to expand on that, Kari? I think my struggle with anxiety would be helped quite a bit by exercise, but as noted the exercise-induced anxiety is a barrier. How were you able to get through it?
    I started using a heart rate monitor. That way, I knew how fast my heart was beating so even if it FELT fast, as long as it was in my target zone I knew it would be okay. I also quit the gym and started working out at home using Fitness Blender videos (which are all free, I talk about it a lot in the Health and Fitness thread) and started off slowly. In the past year, I've lost almost 30 pounds and I'm in the best shape of my life.

I've been terrified of bad luck for a really long time. I am not superstitious but I have OCD, which can be utterly debilitating, and often comes with its own absurd rituals on how to ward off all kinds of jinx. These past three days have brought the following:

- A very close friend passed away.
    - I was fired from my job, a job that I hated but worked for non-stop because I was in real need.
    - My uncle was diagnosed with cancer.
    - I got a UTI.
    - Another friend & coworker died.

I am paralysed. Obviously, the rational aspects of my mind are still in effect, and I'm fully aware of the fact that there is no connection between any of these events. But it's all happened over a 3-day span and I feel that I can't breathe.

I'm so sorry. That is a SHITTY ASS WEEK.

Just take care of yourself the best you can. A deluge of Terrible is difficult for anyone to deal with, and its natural to feel like the world has decided to turn on you all at once. Just keep your rational brain as much as you can and take a few days to feel sorry for yourself, eat junk, and watch trash tv. Also drink wine and cry.

If you could all keep my in your thoughts, that'd be amazing. I don't really have a place to talk about what's going on with me over the last year, and I'm honestly afraid to open up about any of it. I'm seeing a therapist for the first time, but I'm afraid to talk to even her. I'm going through a divorce (again, oi) and I haven't seen any of my family or friends in months (disabled, cannot drive). I'm feeling a bit isolated.

Take care, Beth
    You are not alone

I've been meaning to get to a therapist for some time but it is so hard
    I'm a procrastinator by habit & this is a emotionally weighted task so I know it will be hard

Any advice on finding good therapists (that take your insurance)
    I had a decent one I saw last year a few times but he is not in our plan & I get so anxious about money
    Money & therapy & decision making, my favorite

Anyone else here have a hard time decision making???
    I just doubt my ability to make the right choice
    Always worrying about worrying
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm