Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression/Anxiety

Give yourself a break with the wedding. It's impossible to force people to camp, no matter how much fun it could/would be. Most people hear "wedding" and think lots of glam, dressing up, getting drunk, and waking up in a bed other than their own. I would guess that might be what your guests are thinking. Maybe they'll end up coming back the next day for the rest of the festivities. Don't let it damper the fun YOU are going to have.

Thanks, Maeby. You're right, the wedding is going to be a fun time no matter who stays where.

As for keeping anxiety in check, advice-wise, I find that in addition to deep purposeful breathing, laying off of caffeine in the afternoon also really helps.
    I never thought about love when I thought about home

Thanks for the tips. It's true, I did just try to focus on my breathing so I wouldn't pass out and it definitely helped. My problem is more claustrophobia/small spaces and I start to panic if I think I can't get out of somewhere when I want to or if I just think I don't have enough space as I'd like.

Question

Hello y'all. I just came over from @ a bit late in the game, and I suppose it's a bit of a shame that my first post over here is in regards to this topic, but I must know...

I started Cymbalta yesterday for the treatment of general anxiety and depression. I have to tell you, it has markedly exacerbated my anxiety. I know that it's only my second day and there is a 'breaking in' period... I kinda want to stop taking it before I get too deep and risk suffering withdrawal symptoms, but I don't know if this is common or not and I want to give it a chance to work its course. Of course, I certainly don't want to be taking anything that is going to make my symptoms worse. Oy gevalt!

Bueller?

Call your doctor.

Seriously. I don't know if you could be feeling effects that quickly, but if your anxiety has increased significantly I would call your doctor ASAP.

Good advice.

Definitely call your doctor as soon as you can. I actually relapsed at the beginning of this month and ended up back in the hospital from a really bad reaction to my meds, so no harm in making sure it's all good and safe.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

Whenever I change medication, I keep very close tabs on my emotions and call my doctor at every little change. I've been on Paxil for almost a year and it has helped. Though I am beginning to feel that my problem is more anxiety rather than depression. Recently my doctor upped my Paxil to 20mgs and I started to wake up with panic attacks. Yucky! So I reduced back to 15mgs of Paxil and gimped along until I saw her again. This time she put me on Buspar, at my request, and I feel better than I have in years. Simple things like getting up and going to work used to put me in panic for up to a couple of hours before I had to leave. I can see it better now, I thought I was just nervous, but it seemed to me to be a little out of hand. Now, I get up and get going without any anxiety at all or a thought of something horrific happening--I have quite the imagination. I feel a little slow, but a little, and I do mean a little, caffeine seems to help. I have to say that it wasn't until this change did I start to realize just how much anxiety I have been living under and how it has affected my life.

One really quick question for anyone who takes a Benzo. Can you tell the difference between a panic attack and craving for a benzo? I've been taking Ativan (Lorazapam) and every once in a while, I get shaky and nervous and it seems to go away when I take a pill. It seems to me that side effects of the addiction to a Benzo is very similar to panic attack. I am going to quit taking the benzo ASAP, but the doc still wants me to take it until the Buspar has completely taken affect. This is a really frustrating part for me. Ideas?
    Last edited by Hypatia; 02-25-2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Life. Some of it's valuable, some of it's junk, but all of it is odd.

she might not be so bold fullofwish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePerson View Post
    Does anybody have any good tips on avoiding panic attacks or what to do when one has one? I had my first full-blown attack a few weeks back and am beginning to think I should seek out some therapy now to combat them.
    Personally, I found it very difficult to avoid panic attacks and over the past few years I've focussed more on recognising the initial feelings that blow out into panic attacks, and managing those feelings before the panic attack escalates.

When I was first diagnosed with anxiety back in 2007 I was immediately referred to a psychologist, and continued to see her fortnightly for 2.5 years. For me, the best weapon I have against my anxiety is understanding of myself. I had a lot of emotional stuff packed away and jumbled up and I needed help to unpack it all, and to find the connections between the feelings and experiences that were pushing me into an anxious state. If quality therapy is available and affordable, I think it is one of the best tools for managing anxiety long term.

I have not been in therapy now for a year, and I have substituted it (basically) with a journal. When I realise I have anxiety coming to the surface, I have devised an action plan that helps me work through the moment. It starts with simply recognising that I know this feeling and that I don't have to panic. Then I move away from the situation I'm in (perhaps going to a bathroom, or any quiet space, the garden etc) and I just breathe deeply and remind myself that this is managable, that I know what to do, and that I'm OK. For me, it is almost like mantra that calms me and allows me to feel some control (because often the panic happens when I feel a lack of control). That in itself usually doesn't release the tension, but it allows me to focus on what I can do that will help. If I can talk to someone that I trust, then I do that. I always try and have my journal on me so I can scribble away and move the feelings to an external place which helps me deal with them. It seems to be the most effective tool for me at the moment. It also means that I can look back on it in a few months time and it acts as a reminder that I can deal with this, and that it doesn't have to rule my life. If I wasn't so lazy, going for a walk or working out would be another option But overall, I need to remember that I have dealt with this successfully before. I guess I am trying to tell myself that instead of having a habit of being anxious, I have a habit of dealing effectively with anxiety and somewhere in my mind that seems to make a difference.

I've been having some terrible anxiety/depression issues for the past few months. I was on Paxil 20mg's which really did help with the panic attacks but I had a weird side effect in which, sorry if it's TMI, I lost any sexual desire at ALL. I'm a 21yo male and that just wasn't something I thought I could deal with so last week I went to the doctor and since even with the Paxil I was still having some anxiety problems was switched to Zoloft 100mg's.

I've been taking them for about 5 days and I've been having really vivid dreams/nightmares which are making me wake up panicky. I called the doctor and he said just give it two more weeks because some side effects tend to go away once it's fully in your system but I'm not enjoying sleeping at night because of it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    One really quick question for anyone who takes a Benzo. Can you tell the difference between a panic attack and craving for a benzo? I've been taking Ativan (Lorazapam) and every once in a while, I get shaky and nervous and it seems to go away when I take a pill. It seems to me that side effects of the addiction to a Benzo is very similar to panic attack. I am going to quit taking the benzo ASAP, but the doc still wants me to take it until the Buspar has completely taken affect. This is a really frustrating part for me. Ideas?
    I take a 2mg Lorazepam at night to help me sleep, it's the best benzo I've tried when it comes to relieving my panic attacks. But lately I've been taking a half of one in the morning to help with Zoloft. I'm afraid to get addicted and I've heard a lot of people say it's one of the most addicting benzo's. And what exactly do you mean you think the side effects are similar to a panic attack?

I'm just really tired of going through all this, I haven't been able to work for about 3 months because anytime I get stressed out I have a panic attack. I'm too scared to even drive lately, I just feel CRAZY sometimes and wish I could function without pills. I hate taking them.

I'm have been having a lot of trouble lately. Hormones went nuts, of course an attempt to balance that out with Depo made things worse. Lost my job (other than the paycheck no loss really), had surgery... things health wise are better. But I'm still depressed, anxious, and the thought of getting another job has me terrified. I feel horrible for being rotten to the Mr but I think he half deserves it with some of his recent antics (whole other story there). And I metabolize meds weird so usually have to change it every 3-6 months. Which is why I haven't bother calling my doctor. I'm tired of but don't really care to do shit to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiencade View Post
    I've been having some terrible anxiety/depression issues for the past few months. I was on Paxil 20mg's which really did help with the panic attacks but I had a weird side effect in which, sorry if it's TMI, I lost any sexual desire at ALL. I'm a 21yo male and that just wasn't something I thought I could deal with so last week I went to the doctor and since even with the Paxil I was still having some anxiety problems was switched to Zoloft 100mg's.

I've been taking them for about 5 days and I've been having really vivid dreams/nightmares which are making me wake up panicky. I called the doctor and he said just give it two more weeks because some side effects tend to go away once it's fully in your system but I'm not enjoying sleeping at night because of it. Has anyone else had this problem?
    They switched you from paxil immediately to 100mg Zoloft? Just be very watchful of your emotions for the next couple of weeks. Too much Zoloft is what made me relapse in January (note: I'm also manic as fucking shit, which got overlooked when I was prescribed it and shouldn't have been), so just be wary of how it's affecting your moods. Also, if it's not helping, ask about Prozac as a substitute for Zoloft. I'm on that now, and I can say I'm definitely on the right track to getting through this shit. That and Depakote, which is a mood stabilizer for my bipolarity.

That said, on the subject of sex drive, I will say that Prozac has made it a lot harder for me to ejaculate, while my sex drive has dramatically increased. Whether the latter is just timing or not, I don't know - possibly TMI - but before I had premature ejaculation and after Prozac, I had no problem staying hard, I just could never ejaculate. Lately though, things have been pretty normal and I'm not having problems, so maybe it was just my body getting used to the medication. At any rate, coming from a hypersexual person, if you gotta choose stability or sex, go with stability for now; it should go away eventually and it ultimately hasn't hurt my sex life.
    'Tis better to bend with the wind than stand tall and be broken. Therein lies hope; therein lies freedom.

I don't know where to post this but I have been suffering from severe bad moods this week. They last for hours and go away when it gets darker out. I don't know if the bright sun is doing it to me at work or if the change in weather is the culprit. I can also feel the pressure of my night guard still resonating in my upper teeth.

I've been sleeping very well however ironically. I'm not upset or anxious about anything in general either.

Go to your doctor.

Ron's right, Pan. I'd talk to your doctor/psychiatrist about it at your earliest convenience. It might be the weather changes, it might not. But better to talk about it no matter how trivial than have it go unnoticed and get worse.