Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression/Anxiety

They work in the same building and she not only discussed things with me, but referred to his notes.

That's good, hope you start feeling better!

Thanks. I do. That was a rather rare experience for me. The severity, anyways. Well, this Celexa seems to be ok. If I'm to assume I can feel the effects already I would say that it can make me a little hyper, which I experienced at work lastnight. I woke up with a rather debilitating migraine, though, but I think that was due to the weather. Migraine was so severe it gave me dry-heaves and the shakes. Two Tylenol later and I feel right as rain. I just took my 2nd dose, so we'll see how it goes. These I take when I start my day, which is different from all of the other anti-depressants I have taken, which usually require it to be taken before bed.

Dave, I know that finding the right medication is SO hard and exhausting. I have gotten so disappointed countless times, but have always told myself to just hang on until I find the one that works. And I promise you that something will work. It's just sometimes, we unfortunately have to deal with some clunkers before we find it. Anti-depresants are such mysterious, complex drugs. For instance, I was on Wellbutrin years ago and had to get off of it because it was making me so irritable that I was snapping at people for no reason. I got back on it years later because of its low side-effects and anti-smoking benefits, thinking that I would just give it another go,and remarkably, the issues that I'd had with it before didn't develop and it's been working great. I'm still on it and have no side-effects I can think of. Just hang in there, buddy. It's so tough, but once you find what works, you'll be so glad that you fought through it.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Glad to hear the second time around it's working better for you.

Unfortunately, it's 15 years late in taking the action needed. I've affected my relationship with my wife in horrendous ways. And, as can be understood, mostly only by her, she's kinda done waiting for me to change. I made the mistake of not caring enough b/c I was delusional, thinking that I would make things better only by willing it to be so. It's only been a month since I realized that I can't do it without medication. And now that I've finally made that discovery, I'm going through the guinea pig stages, and as to be expected, it's a day late, a dollar short. Or more like 10 years late. Super pissed at myself, but that won't help. I can only keep trying, for once, to kick this shit to the side. It's very arduous. But I can't imagine what it's been like for my wife. No amount of apologies or promises will make any difference, as it shouldn't. I've only made that decision to not do it alone a month ago. How stupid. But I can't concentrate on the would-haves or should-haves, I can only do from now on.

Dave, I'm sorry for your situation but please try to not beat yourself up. You lived with an illness longer than you should've. It's completely understandable. Hopefully your wife will realize this. The best thing you can do is get better and let it show. It's not your fault that you are sick. And it's not your fault that you didn't know what to do. There is still, even though anti-depressants are the most widely prescribed medication, not nearly enough information being dispersed in the public forum. I really hope that changes. No one should feel weak or ashamed for having an illness. Seriously. It is NEVER too late to make the right decision. When you know better, you do better--and that's what you're doing. It's very admirable.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Well since I've been mentioned, .... I'm certainly not going to dredge up a decade of history here. Dave is my best friend and I love him and do hope that he is able to find the correct medication, and I do want our family to work; it's important to me. On the other hand, it's a bit simplistic to say that "he didn't know any better," or "didn't know what to do," because he has and chose to not take action or disbelieve altogether that action was necessary, and also some of that has been that he mentally wasn't capable of taking action. Thankfully he is trying to remedy that now, and I do acknowledge that and support that. I know that he hasn't done anything "on purpose," and I know that he can't help some things any more than I can help that I have anxiety disorder. However, I do have to have a measure of self preservation and respect for my own needs in life. I can't just ignore those things any longer, and I know that is sane and healthy to feel and strive toward. It's just another part of the sometimes grim reality of our relationship; it is a dance in compromise and trying to find out what works and what doesn't anymore. I haven't said or done anything to end our relationship, and I don't intend to unless it becomes necessary, which I hope it does not. Just for the record. I also really did not enjoy finding out via reading a message board that my spouse was suicidal, following a pretty good day together, which is indicative of the bigger picture here: I do not ever know what to expect but that I can't count on anything outside of myself. That is a big problem for me. And, again, I know that it isn't something done on purpose, but just a reality.

***eta - and I haven't said any of the above to shame or degrade or be pissy; I'm trying to be objective as possible about it all while still allowing myself to be a person, too. We all have our very own special bag of shit we get to carry around in life - mine's anxiety and all the fantastic things I experienced in childhood. I just don't like the possible implication that I'm just "not understanding" things. I am very much try to, and the stuff that I don't, I'm trying to not form much of an opinion about at all. I am here, present, in this situation, though.
    Last edited by Em; 03-06-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Dave and Em, we are here for support, but I think these discussions need to be held privately. Sometimes it helps to write each other letters or talk online because face-to-face discussions can become so emotionally charged, but it would be more constructive if it was done privately.

Hang in there. [HUGS]

None of what I said above is news to Dave; I'm just giving some context to what has been said and implied. Sorry if it was TMI - I didn't intend that, either. In any case, it's not as though anyone thinks "Dave's wife" is some anonymous person that doesn't post here... it makes sense I would address something said about me; no? I don't expect drama.
    Last edited by Em; 03-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.

waited with a glacier's patience Churumbela's Avatar
    I think it's entirely possible that some people don't make the connection between the two of you. Having known both of you on @ for years, of course many of us would know who Dave was talking about, but it's not a given.

Either way, I wish the best to both of you and I hope there are better days ahead. As for what is appropriate to discuss here, I think ultimately you know yourselves best.
    Last edited by Churumbela; 03-06-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    I am the beginning. The end. The one that is many.

I had no idea that Em and Dave are a couple. But then again, I don't consider myself fully integrated into the world of @/unformz. This in spite of being a member for 10 years! I wish you both the best.

I'm convinced I'll sooner spot a polka dotted Loch Ness Monster than find a Psychiatrist who will accept my health insurance.

My sister is giving it to me and my mom. She's a rheumatologist and prescribes it a lot for her patients. I don't think she'd let us take it is the risks were that severe.

On the other hand, I do know someone personally who had a severe problem when coming off of them.

I have been on it since November and really prefer it to the lexapro I was on. I recently increased my dosage though and am adjusting again. Not sure if I am happy with the higher dosage. I don't like the side effects: night sweating (but that may also be just me: I think I'm cold and layer on the blankets like crazy), dry mouth, disgestion issues...
    I am hoping that they'll subside as I get used to it as they did when I first started.

I would say talk to you doctor about your concerns.
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

I am moving on!

authentic hotdog cart vendor Frangipani's Avatar
    I'm going in to see a psychiatrist in a couple weeks. I had to be on a wait list to get this appointment so it's pretty important that I 'make it work' for myself. I'm just worried that he doesnt have any info about me. The last time I went in for a psychiatrist appointment, I was a teenager and they had a pretty extensive history on me to diagnose from. I havent been in almost 15 years, and the last talk therapist I saw told me I didnt need to be seeing a therapist. So I dont know how to approach this appointment. I'm pretty sure I'm having really hard times with ADD (diagnosed as a teenager, not sure if its a bunk/frivolous diagnosis) and anxiety. I know doctors get kind of uppity when you come at them thinking you know what you need. baw
    Slippin' on my red dress, putting on my make-up