Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression/Anxiety

[ validated ]
    I've struggled with depression most of my life (plus a lot of anxiety in my 20s). I don't think it's that abnormal. I think it's part of life. I took some meds on & off with therapy when I was around 16-19 but will never take them again. I just personally know that I don't need them. Lately I've been experiencing a lot of ups and downs, but something that's helped me to cope is the realization that depression can be a sign of growth. I've been working more aggressively to overcome some personal obstacles and push myself out of my comfort zone more often, and sometimes I don't like what I see. And I shouldn't. There are things about me that definitely need to change -things I shouldn't be comfortable with- so I'm trying to see the lows as a sign of progress / something I'm working through.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppity Cracker View Post
    Ron's right, Pan. I'd talk to your doctor/psychiatrist about it at your earliest convenience. It might be the weather changes, it might not. But better to talk about it no matter how trivial than have it go unnoticed and get worse.
    I second this, and would like to add that this is partly why I try to stay in therapy, even if I only go every 4-8 weeks. I hate when I stop going because I think I'm doing better, only to feel depressed again 6 months down the road and have to re-hash everything that's happened in the meanwhile. Things have a tendency to build up over time. I know it's not always feasible if you don't have insurance, etc., but if you can go with some regularity I think its worth it.

I'm off to my Dr tomorrow to talk about everything. I'm terrified he will want to refer me to a psych which I can not afford right now. Guess I will have a Xanex before I go in. I am already a mess, what to say ... here's to meds.

I've been in a really bad mood lately .
    I started a new job in February and signed a contract for 1 year with them . But now they don't have enough work to give me some job , so I just stay at home without any work .
    I tried to find another job but I'm not really sure what to do . I studied in graphic design 2 years ago but I lost all my confidence about this field now , I don't really know what to do . I really don't want to go work in a shop work something like that .
    And the more I stay home without work , the more I lose my all my confidence and this is affecting my mood in a very big way .

I talked to my doctor today about my anxiety. I've always been an anxious person, but it's gotten worse over the past year. I'm always wound up, I feel worn out and exhausted from constant worrying about everything, the slightest bit of change that tips the balance of control over things i have/need to do can send me over the edge (god help the person who moves my keys), combine that with what I'm assuming is depression about my health - I'm a trainwreck. So.. I sent off an intake request form for the Ottawa Family Services today for mental health counseling. Felt good doing it and then i saw the waitlist period... 7-8 MONTHS just to get an assessment appointment. Guess I'll be hitting my dr up for a referral to a psychologist and paying for this out of pocket, I cannot wait that long to see someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Becka View Post
    7-8 MONTHS just to get an assessment appointment.
    Ugh. I ran into the same problem back in December when I was looking for someone on short notice. There was no way in hell I could wait that long for an appointment, so I just started calling anyone on the list until I found someone who could see me.

Some therapists will work with you on cost, maybe you can ask when you call and set up the appointment.

I had 12 vials worth of blood drawn today for an amazing amount of testing done. We want to rule out there isn't something physical causing me to be anxious or increasing the anxiety. I have to go back next week for the results of that and I'll be letting my dr know about the waiting list (she knew it'd be long, but not that long). She'll have a few more options for me then as well for referrals to see someone. Paying out of pocket won't be hard pressed, but if I didn't HAVE to that'd be even better.

it's good to know i am not alone in this but have to say my anxiety went up just reading your posts b/c it gave me a hightened awareness of my own issues god i am crazy these days.

i feel like i must have always had anxiety/depression but either due to age or life circumstances it has gotten so much worse this year. i am also the type to put on a happy face and not unload too much on my friends and family. i was in therapy years ago due to more family issues (my mom & sister had it worse at the time & i was going to help sort out the family stress) but now i feel i am in worse condition than everyone and yet i hide it really well.

i am currently taking lexapro but feel I might do better on something else and feel i could benefit from therapy but since i am unemployed (adding to depression) can't really afford it.

anyway - just wanted to vent/release a bit and say thanks to everyone for sharing your stories - it helps.
    "this way, that way, i am of two minds" -sappho
    http://classicpersuasion.org/pw/sappho/index.htm

I've been on my new meds a few weeks now. Prozac for the BDD and Xanex for anxiety. Seems to be helping quite a bit. I'm not crippled by it like I was before. I am taking a lot of healthy measures to help with the BDD on my part to help the Prozac along. I just hope to continue to see progress, especially since I'm worried about a couple of the Prozac side effects.

I've been taking Xanax for nearly a decade and I'm worried I'm experiencing some long term side effects. The most obvious and annoying being hand tremors. This has been going on for a couple of years, but once I would take my next scheduled dose, the shaking would stop. Now the tremors in my hands are getting worse. My hands are so shaky that I can't take a decent photo (without blurs) even with image stabilization. This is incredibly annoying and upsetting because photography has always been my favorite hobby and a good activity in battling my depression. My tremors are most noticeable around dinner time, probably because my bedtime dose is only a couple hours away? I take a pretty high dose but have been slowly cutting back. The highest dose I consistently take is 1mg at bedtime with much smaller doses during the day. Has anyone here had any experience with long term use of Xanax? I don't know that the Xanax is definitely what is causing the tremors, it just seems like the obvious culprit. I plan on setting up an appointment with my GP next week to find out exactly what is causing this and what I can do to get rid of the damn problem.

As a side note, my grandmother had horrible tremors in her hands and with her head (kind of like a barely noticeable head bobbing.) She was always a very nervous person but that could be attributed to her childhood experiences, not necessarily something genetic. Unfortunately, her youngest brother who was not raised in the same environment, had hand tremors that were later diagnosed as Parkinson's. I'm hoping this is just drug related and not something more serious.

Nicci, do you have a primary care physician? I would go see one if I was you...that sounds like it's pretty damn serious.

i agree - either way it is worth looking into; it could be anything. i know that there are a lot of conditions serious and not serious that can lead to hand tremmors, but i would also find out the best way to deal with the long term side effects of the xanax as well. wishing you well.

Aww hell, after reading through this thread, the thread about "Are you doing what you what to do" and the recent posts in the "Annyoing FB Statuses" thread, I feel like adding my own story. I don't know why. I guess because I never realized that so many of you guys that interest, entertain and inspire me have a lot of shit going on in your noggins and lives as well. Not that I consider myself unique in that aspect, it just always seemed like (most of) you guys had it all figured out and were happily skipping down that golden path of health, happiness, success, contentment, etc. Btw, I babble A LOT. So I'm going to put my story behind a spoiler because it might get long. Thanks if you read it. Or not. I'm all anxious-like about being so open. Also, my main issue? disorder? I don't know what you call it--is such that a lot of people don't understand it and many, many people will tell you to just "get over it", "grow up", "get your shit together", "you're just lazy and won't apply yourself", etc. So, I've always been hesitant about talking about it for those reasons. It's frustrating when people don't understand and/or don't believe you, and, unfortunately this place is well known for devouring the weak, so yeah, I've mainly kept it to myself.

thank you, Amie, for sharing. You are truly brave and amazing for opening up so much.

Amie: Thank you for opening up. I too have issues with social anxiety (although I haven't been diagnosed), and everyday tasks can be hard to do. Alot of what you said really struck a chord with me; it's nice to know that I'm not alone.
    And thanks to everyone else for contributing to this thread. Hopefully soon (if I can gather my thoughts together), I will share a coherent description of what I'm going through.