Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Live PJ Requests

Bloodsucking Illuminati Freaks! Octopussy's Avatar
    ^

I have a question about 2007 bootlegs myself -- I have about a dozen radio sets from this era, most of the time she plays the same songs, in pretty much the same way. Which set is the best? Which songs are the best?

Quote Originally Posted by JIM View Post
    ^

I have a question about 2007 bootlegs myself -- I have about a dozen radio sets from this era, most of the time she plays the same songs, in pretty much the same way. Which set is the best? Which songs are the best?
    From what I remember, the 2007-09-10 NRK bootleg sounded really great, both technically and performance-wise.

The setlist was:
    01 The Devil
    02 The Piano
    03 When Under Ether
    04 The Mountain
    05 Grow, Grow, Grow

The 2007-10-14 KCRW set was longer, but not quite as good in my opinion.

thanks, I love that set - The Mountain is amazing, but it sounds incomplete. Are there are a few seconds missing from the beginning?

I made this playlist using all the songs from the WC sessions. I might do some editing/volume adjust later if I have time (but probably not). I like the running order, for the most part. (Grow/DBTW/Piano and Mountain/Nina!!)

White Chalk (Liga TV)
    Dear Darkness (KCRW)
    The Devil (NRK)
    Grow Grow Grow (NRK)
    Down By The Water (Spinner.com)
    The Piano (NRK)
    When Under Ether (NRK)
    The Mountain (NRK)
    Nina in Ecstasy (KCRW)
    Silence (Liga TV)
    To Bring You My Love (KCRW)

it's not meant to be a strife MikeEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum 509 View Post
    The 1998 tour. JOY!

The November 30th Columbiahalle in Berlin must be pretty good, since people have repaired and upgraded it about FOUR TIMES. The last one was done in 2009, I'll check it out. Do you have that yet?
    i don't have it yet but i will check it out. i am loving the Black Sessions though!

can you guys recommend some good 2004 boots? i downloaded the 2004 "semi acoustic" Royal Festival Hall show but i'd like to get a standard show or 2 from that tour too.

2004... interesting tour. Great sets, hit-or-miss performances. I saw a show on this tour and none of the bootlegs really capture the energy.

But I like:

Le Zenith, Paris: A lot of theater ambiance in this one... Some people prefer that, I usually don't, but it works here. Best bootleg for performance, I think (there are so many, I could be wrong). Marianne Faithfull jumps on stage for My Friends Have and Mystery of Love, but she sounds dreadful.

Splendor in the Grass: This has one of my favorite versions of Rid of Me, a rockin version of Badmouth and probably some other good stuff too but I can't remember right now.

Santiago Urban Electronic (SUE) Festival + Heineken Music Hall (Amsterdam): These have a cleaner sound than the other two, and IMO the big echo-y stadium sound is better for the band's setup. Meet Ze Monsta, Harder, Leah, Uh Huh Her and Evol are all pretty good here.

Rock en Seine 2003: This is before Uh Huh Her, but it's the debut (and arguably the best version) of Who the Fuck, and the whole set is generally excellent.

^ thanks JIM, you're the best...love hearing all this stuff.

probably knew this was coming i downloaded a great boot from 2001 in Paris i've been listening to a ton...i know Cardiff 2000 is supposed to be really good too right? any other essential Stories shows?

and i guess more generally as a question for everyone, what would you say are the 5 most essential PJ boots?

*blurts* Glastonbury 1995!! Audio or DVD.

And I don't know, there might be some others.

^ yes, that was one of the first ones I snatched up. i found a FLAC version and converted it to mp3.

the ones i have so far are:
    Glastonbury 1995
    Black Sessions 1998
    Cardiff 2000
    Paris 2001
    Royal Festival Hall 2004
    Hay on Wye Festival 2006
    Beacon Theatre, NYC 2007
    Los Angeles 2007
    Camp Bestival 2009

A pretty good early boot is Mcabe's Guitar Shop 1993. I especially love "50 ft. Queenie" on this.

^ cool, i'll check it out!

for early boots, I think London Forum is essential. Great performances, with a few rarities: Primed & Ticking and M-Bike!

for Stories boots... I'm really not sure, there are sooo many of them. But I really like Oslo 2001: It's got an unusual setlist, great versions of Dry, C'mon Billy and Down by the Water. The older songs were really different on this tour. Send His Love To Me and Hair were...interesting.

Le Zenith, Paris: A lot of theater ambiance in this one... Some people prefer that, I usually don't, but it works here. Best bootleg for performance, I think (there are so many, I could be wrong). Marianne Faithfull jumps on stage for My Friends Have and Mystery of Love, but she sounds dreadful.
    I just listened to this one again... I think I may have been wrong about it having the best performances, The Letter is a complete mess! One or more guitar strings are falling out of tune throughout the song. That seems to happen a lot on this tour. I'm surprised PJ doesn't tell Josh to stop and fix that shit. Most performers are pretty sensitive about that.

EVOL from this show is amazing though, possibly the definitive version. Gotta love that audience participation

The older songs were really different on this tour. Send His Love To Me and Hair were...interesting.
    yeah i love the way she adapts some of the older songs to fit the Stories era...the versions of both Dry and The Sky Lit Up almost sound like they could be from that album.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    can you guys recommend some good 2004 boots? i downloaded the 2004 "semi acoustic" Royal Festival Hall show but i'd like to get a standard show or 2 from that tour too.
    The bootleg I listen to the most from that era is the Brixton Academy show, and the Rome concert has some great performances, including my favorite version of Taut ever. I also like the Toronto show, but that's mainly only worth getting for the tracks that aren't on other boots, like Reeling, Catherine, The Garden, and Is This Desire?

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    i'm wondering if anyone has the Black Session audio or could recommend another high quality boot from 1998?
    I have a high-ish quality video of this performance that I don't even remember where it came from. This and the one at the Bizarre Festival (video also available) are two of my favorites from her.

Inspired by the top 20 thread, I decided to share this boot with ya'll-

Live on KCRW 2007.

1. Dear Darkness
    2. The Devil
    3. Grow Grow Grow
    4. The Piano (currently my fav version)
    5. White Chalk (impeccable)
    6. The Mountain
    7. Nina in Ecstasy
    8. Silence
    9. To Bring You My Love.

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Does anyone have a high quality rip of the KCRW performance from 1998?

^ I probably do. There was a big torrent of a lossless radio sets going around a few years ago, I think that was one of them.

I'll try to get it up by this weekend.
    Last edited by Octopussy; 01-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.