Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: PJ Harvey miscellany thread

PJ getting her MBE from HMQ today (what a lot of acronyms!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48877431@N05/11308844674/

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar

Woot!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I typed in 'PJ Harvey MBE' to see if there were any more photos, and came upon this (taken surreptiously) of PJ on the Tube last summer

Also, this one from the Tate from November with artist Sue Webster

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    I love that Tube photo! That's so funny to see her just sat there. I love that she's writing.

The thing that blew me away in that photo is that there are armrests on the subway!!!! Awesome! That needs to be everywhere!
    "The only time I get in that position is when I give birth." - Dorothy Zbornak

What is a MBE exactly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

condemned to wires and hammers ebby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AshaBlack View Post
    What is a MBE exactly?
    Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, the lowest of the Order, but still quite a notable achievement in intself.

more info

The highest two honours in that Order are what entitles people to use the title Sir. Kate Bush has a CBE, which is one level below being allowed to call herself a Dame. Sir Ian McKellan is a Knight Bachelor, which is one rank above Kate Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by ebby View Post
    Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, the lowest of the Order, but still quite a notable achievement in intself.

more info

The highest two honours in that Order are what entitles people to use the title Sir. Kate Bush has a CBE, which is one level below being allowed to call herself a Dame. Sir Ian McKellan is a Knight Bachelor, which is one rank above Kate Bush.
    Okay that's pretty cool then. I'm happy for PJ. She definitely is one of a kind in my opinion.

Morrissey backs Russell Brand's no vote call in tirade against British establishment.

He uses PJ Harvey as an example in the open letter he wrote against people who support hunting. A lot of people have stated they are boycotting PJ Harvey's music on music website lastfm. Here is a link to the article

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...t-8949902.html

Oh Morrissey. He really is the drunk uncle of Brit alt music, he really is.

Well guess what Mimi, WE DID. Octopussy's Avatar
    When you grow up performing sheep abortions on the farm you are probably less squeamish about stuff like hunting. But I don't really know enough about the issue, doesn't really concern me one bit and boycotting her music is just ridiculous.

on second thought, I guess I've successfully boycotted Morrissey's music for years now on account of him being a gigantic ass.

'If you existed, I'd divorce you.' spyk_'s Avatar
    . I'm with Jim. It's not an issue I know enough about. I'm all for animal rights but I can't imagine getting as heated about it to let it affect my listening habits. It seems to be this issue of Country Folk vs City Folk, but I don't think that being pro or even passive about fox hunting means that you're a baby-killing conservative flesh-tearer.

As for Morrissey, I really don't have time for anyone who would take Brand's 'political' tirade with anything other than the tiniest pinch of salt.

The fox hunting stuff was based an offhand comment she made in 1998. She grew up on a farm and it was part of farm life but then it's also been 15 years, perhaps she thinks otherwise by now? Or figures that it's all pretty silly. Because, IT IS.

Here's an article about it.
    PRO-HUNT POLLY CAUSES OUTRAGE

!!!!

Well, everyone knows that Polly is the Cruella de Vil of birds. She just kills them to make coats hats out of them

I'm against hunting, but I can't really take someone seriously who tells people not to vote in the same sentence.
    Now that I'm still listening to her music do I have to hand in my vegetarian membership card?!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    PJ's edition of BBC Radio 4's Today programme will be broadcast tomorrow (January 2)

PJ Harvey will be guest editor of BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Thursday 2nd January, 6am to 9am.
    The programme will open with an explanation of her choice of contributors who will include Wikileaks founder and publisher Julian Assange, former Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. Rowan Williams, award winning journalist and filmmaker John Pilger and actor and director Ralph Fiennes
    Some more details:

Contributors to PJ Harvey's Today programme on BBC Radio 4 on 2nd January

Contributors to PJ Harvey's Today programme on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday 2nd January, 6am to 9am will be: Mark Curtis (Journalist and Historian), Denis Halliday (former United Nations Humanitarian Co-ordinator), Clive Stafford Smith (Human Rights Attorney and Director of Reprieve), John Pilger (Journalist and Film Maker), Dr. Rowan Williams (former Archbishop of Canterbury), Ralph Fiennes (Actor and Director), Giles Duley (Documentary Photographer and Photojournalist), Phil Shiner (Public Interest Lawyer), Ian Cobain (Author and Reporter), Julian Assange (WikiLeaks Founder and Publisher), John Rees (Political Activist and Broadcaster), and Dave Zirin (Political Sports Writer).

Sound recordings: Flight of the Conchords 'Ladies of the World', Tom Waits 'Strange Weather', and Joan Baez 'Johnny I Hardly Knew Ya'.

Poems read by Ralph Fiennes: 'Austerities' by Charles Simic, 'They Fight For Peace' by Shaker Aamer, 'London' by William Blake, and Woody Guthrie's song lyric 'Ticky Tock'.