Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song of the Week: Cloud on my Tongue

Song of the Week: Cloud on my Tongue

ontheindianside will post later on about this week SOTW: Cloud on My Tongue

To start things beautifully, this is a 1994 beautiful version performed live on Later with Greg Kinnear.
    Oh and it's 4 minutes

there is something absolutely gorgeous about the studio version of this song...must be the combination of strings & Ts UTP voice!

Quote Originally Posted by desirableking View Post
    there is something absolutely gorgeous about the studio version of this song...must be the combination of strings & Ts UTP voice!
    I was thinking today that the studio version may, in fact, be my favorite version. It's just so absolutely perfect and sort of encapsulates everything I love about the song in, you know, sonic form.

So, let's start with the lyrics, copied-and-pasted from hereinmyhead:

For me, the lyrics have always been less "about" something than they are evocative. I can't say, "I relate COMT to X part of my life, when I was going through Y hard time" because COMT is always there for me and always works as a comfort song or even a contented-state song. I've related it to break-ups, to job losses, to fights with friends, and general depression. You're always "in this" and things always go in "circles," I guess you could say.

My favorite thing about this song, though, is the image it creates in my head. I always see this lonely little house in the woods as a figure shrouded in snow trudges up to it and knocks on the door. The narrator will never let him in, and he "leave[s] the wood outside" and walks away ("what") confused and uncertain, and that's when the song really starts for me. With the narrator looking out the window, thinking about whatever trouble she's in this time. (I mean, I realize I see that image because I've memorized the words over the last fifteen years, but it generally comes to me as the first few piano lines are played and changes after the "what;" the piano notes are the footsteps, you know?)

In terms of favorite versions, I don't think I have a favorite live era for this song, but I will say I never get sick of hearing it or think "God, she's playing Cloud on my Tongue when she could be playing this or that beloved rarity/song I've yet to see live." It made me cry in '09, which also made me laugh because it was right after Flying Dutchman, and I was like, "Flying Dutchman leaves me kind of cold, but CLOUD ON MY TONGUE makes me fucking sob?" I like the way she's been replacing "over the bridge now" with just "over the briiiiidge," especially in '07, but I'll take it any way. I'll never quite understand why most people get so bored with this song. I know; it's been on several live releases, and she never really changes anything about it, but it has such raw power and that ability to transport you - it really makes me feel like I'm in it, not just part of the audience watching, if that makes sense.

Okay, that's all I can handle right now with this headache. I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

Please also forgive me for not doing the best job ever (blame the headache).

And thanks, all and Rabih, for bearing with me. I'd actually never seen that Greg Kinnear version; it's beautiful. Such nice, clean piano and clear vocals.

Banned
    What to say? It's one of her very best. Like "Cornflake Girl," it's another of Tori's songs where she stuffed like three legit choruses into it that could each have their own song. It's amazing to look back at her early songwriting and see how incredibly stringent she was - packing the songs with so much. The strings and her voice are gorgeous - and just when you are awash in melodic goodness - she does that little sort of suspended moment - got-to-stop-speening. It could just take your breath away.

COMT is definitely one of my favorite songs, by anyone, ever. I also think it's one of Tori's strongest all-around. The lyrics are absolutely beautiful, and I'd show them to anyone who tries to dispute Tori's lyrical ability. The imagery is so provocative ("all the girls here are freezing cold", "a hundred girls in your hair", "if I ate her") and the vocals just break my heart. This is one of those songs that encompasses what I love most about Tori: even if you can't quite decode the lyrics, you know exactly what's she's saying, through her vocal delivery, piano, everything. You feel her emotion. The composition is lovely as well. It starts simple, with a probing, questioning, mysterious melody, then grows, and grows, and grows, and then resolves itself at the end with a reprise of the central piano line, as if all the questions are answered and the girl has finally stopped spinning. It's such an underrated song, too, which is a pity, because it's one of Tori's definitive songs, for me.

Also, apparently there's some speculation that this song is about Anthony Kiedis (from the Red Hot Chili Peppers).
    Last edited by Hannah.; 02-11-2011 at 06:42 PM.

Loves ponies. Hates phonies. Regina Phalange's Avatar
    I find the album version to be much more enjoyable and powerful than the live ones. The strings are so effective and it doesn't drag... circles and circles and circles and circles and OMG STFU STOP SPINNING (when I'm in a cranky mood and listening to a poor version.)

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    It is strange when Tori talks about this song in interview or in her book.. the "Borneo"/Anthony Kliedes part of it seems to weigh it down sensationalize it. I hate that because the story behind the song makes a lot of people forget how incredibly beautiful and captivating it is. When she transitions into the "you're already in there" that is so beautiful. And the "Over the bridge part".. It's an emotional rollercoaster. It is so much more than just a song about a Red Hot Chili Pepper.
    I got so much flavor put me on the buffet.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabih View Post
    ontheindianside will post later on about this week SOTW: Cloud on My Tongue

To start things beautifully, this is a 1994 beautiful version performed live on Later with Greg Kinnear.
    Oh and it's 4 minutes
    Greg Kinnear had a late night show? haha WoW.
    I got so much flavor put me on the buffet.

One of my unexpected favorites. Goes great with Cruel.

I can't get enough of this song. For me, it is all about a former lover showing up after it's too late. With every old flame, just when you think you are "over the bridge" something comes around to refresh your memory, tear that wound open, and place your footsteps right back where you two left off. You will always wear that "tattoo" of their memory, but for whatever reason, you can never be with them again. When she slides into the "circles" I picture all those daily whirlpools we are constantly held down in. Going back to the old lover theory, once they have crept back into your mind, you are drawn back deeper into that turmoil and regret. What an amazing song!!

Hurt people hurt people too toriMODE's Avatar
    That's totally what the song is for me!

Definitely one of my more favorite songs off UTP, I love this song for all the visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post

My favorite thing about this song, though, is the image it creates in my head. I always see this lonely little house in the woods as a figure shrouded in snow trudges up to it and knocks on the door. The narrator will never let him in, and he "leave[s] the wood outside" and walks away
    Pretty much exactly how I picture it too, a dull cedar plank shack with a small tin chimney, all blue-greys, dull browns, white, and a little red like a handkerchief. A bunch of girls looking through a window that's fogging up with condensation from breath while she's at the front door. Inside you can see a rifle by the door, a small fire-burning stove, no kitchen, girls all huddled around for warmth while she's off having sex in the only bedroom.

I don't think it's how the lyrics are intended, but I always saw "hundred girls in your hair" as an angry/upset woman with girls poking out of her hair, I like that visual. Probly more to do with his history with women, sizing herself up to them, curious to know what they're like. He with his girls and she with hers.

"You're already in there." easy sex, not puting up a good fight, doesn't take much to get him past the door, "wearing your tattoo" hickeys and such, physical or mental. A very physical relationship and not so much emotional.

"Leave my with your borneo" for the longest time I thought she said "Leave me with your body" same idea though, a separation of the emotional and physical. The juxtaposition of physical heat with the outside cold.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    ^ Lovely wording, I agree with you. It's definitely a song about the separation of the emotional and physical, to me.

I always related a lot to COMT as a song about being sexually/emotionally vulnerable, but keeping the expression of it on the inside. It's both sad and empowering to me-- sad because "all the girls here are freezing cold," meaning she's too distrusting and broken to respond to romance and she's learned to survive on nothing but fantasies, i.e. "leave me with your Borneo, I don't need much to keep me warm." But there's also this weird strength to 'you're already in there.' Meaning, yeah, maybe you can turn me on really easily ("so you can make me cum..."), but I can be satisfied in my own mind and I don't need to be with you physically to enjoy you.

to the loneliest city in the world other pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheindianside View Post
    The narrator will never let him in, and he "leave[s] the wood outside" and walks away ("what") confused and uncertain, and that's when the song really starts for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by This Circus We're In View Post
    For me, it is all about a former lover showing up after it's too late.
    I love how Cloud can fit either of these situations so well, the door that could have been opened. When she sings "You're already in there" sometimes I hear her singing the 'in there' in quotes, as a guy might say to himself when he thinks he's guaranteed to get to sleep with a girl (is that just a British usage?).

"I'll be wearing your tattoo" -> what a line.

and it sounds like all our lives Kari's Avatar
    I love this song on the record, SO MUCH, but I hate it live. It plods on forever.