Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOTW: Cloud on my Tongue

This song has slowly inched its way to the top of my favorite Tori tracks of all time. I love the softness of her voice and find the 'circles and circles again' part to be very hypnotizing. I've always had trouble trying to interpret this song though - the lyrics have always been a mystery to me, but reading everyone's thoughts on this awesome track has me listening once again.
    Damn, this song is good.

The Sweetest Cherry in an Apple Pie Talula's Avatar
    Unlike some other Tori's songs, Cloud on my Tongue was love at the first listening.
    And one period that love was so big. It's still in my heart, just it's not that big anymore, it's without this "so" (big), but it's still big.

I have a slightly different picture about the song in my head now after reading that Anthony Kiedis - article and all other Tori's explanations on that page too.

I always saw it like narrator (Tori) is incapable to say "No" to this man - unknown man for me. Well, unknown man up to this moment; after reading all those Tori's song explanations, I'm convinced this song is about her and the Red Hot Chili Peppers guy - Anthony Kiedis. About their (little) affair. (Also, see RHCP's album cover with a red-headed girl playing a piano!)

Their relationship is based purely on sex, at least it is from his side ("Thought I was over the bridge now" - This means she's sexually atracting, good-looking for him, right?). He's with her only for the sex; they don't act like a normal couple, they don't have a lot in common, they don't talk about important things - it's all about sex and when it's done: "You can go now".
    Like I said, she's incapable to tell this man "No", despite the fact she knows for all of his other girls. She doesn't like sharing him ("if I ate her"), and she wants to say "No! It's over! I'm not doing this anymore!", but when he's there, she just can't ("Donít stop now what youíre doiní "). Maybe that how the title Cloud on my Tongue came from. When you have something in your mouth, when your mouth is full (can I say that?!), you can't talk. Therefore, she has something stuck in her mouth that doesn't allow her to talk - to say "No" to him in this case. And that's a great metaphor.

Youíre already in there
    Iíll be wearing your tattoo, yes
    Iím already in
    And "Iíll be wearing your tattoo" could mean that she is unable to remove his mark ("your tattoo") - his kisses, touches, scent... and she's already so much into him ("Iím already in"), so she keeps sleeping with him. (It could also mean in some cases that he got her pregnant (she'll be carrying his child - his mark (tattoo)), but nah, I don't think so).

And just look at her repeating this million times:
    You can go now
    You can go now
    You can go now
    You can go now
    and then... she's on her back again and they're still having an affair: "Youíre already in there".
    She can't stop, although she would like to, and it's happening again and again:

Circles and circles and circles again
    The girlís in circles and circles and
    Got to stop spinning
    Circles and circles and circles again
    The girlís in circles and circles and circles again, well

All in all, even if Tori sang in some language you're not familiar with and you had no idea what Cloud on my Tongue was about, you could fell in love with the song because of the piano, which is divine.
    And with the words and singing added it gets another dimension.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Maybe that how the title Cloud on my Tongue came from. When you have something in your mouth, when your mouth is full (can I say that?!), you can't talk. Therefore, she has something stuck in her mouth that doesn't allow her to talk - to say "No" to him in this case. And that's a great metaphor.
    Oh god, haha. I never considered that the 'cloud' in the song is jizz ("he goes, then it goes"...). But, knowing Tori--

^ I think I didn't express myself well.
    When I said that about the title, I wasn't talking about sperm in her mouth. That's not the point.

"Cloud (on my Tongue)" here could have double meaning; sperm might be one of it, but I just don't think the sperm is its primary meaning, its more important meaning.
    If "cloud" were (just) sperm, meaning of the song would be changed. The sperm would concern only certain moments - the moments that occur after their intimacy, and this cloud comes before their intimacy. It's more wider than that.

Okay, I'll try to explain it this way:
    She could say something like: "I want to stop this, because he's just using me and all that matter to him is sex, but when he shows up at my door, I'm unable to say "No". So we end up in a bed every time, blah blah blah...", but that wouldn't be poetic, and, more importantly, it would be poor. Instead she uses a metaphor - cloud on my tongue. And that (COMT) is something that forbids her to say "No more!", and it could be anything. For example, it could be that her emotions for him are so strong, that strong that they don't let her to finish with him, even if she knows what ass he is.
    "Got a cloud sleeping on my tongue" - it's hard for her to wake that cloud up (and also, you don't talk in your sleep).

Like I said in my previous post, "Cloud on my Tongue" is a great metaphor that introduces you with the song story. The great metaphor I don't know to explain as I'd like to, unfortunately.

If you still don't get me, I'll write it in my mother language. I guess it'll work then. LOL Just kidding!

I would like to see others' thoughts on the song and the title too.

To me, this song is about not being accepted because of not being able to show one's darknesses. He comes, but I dare not to be honest to him; then he goes. This "girl" in the song is not even honest to herself. She thought she does not need this man, she thought she was over the bridge, but it is not like this. The man leaves a "tattoo" on her, something that cannot be easily wiped away.

a little more time, endless time Savannah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    ^ I think I didn't express myself well.
    When I said that about the title, I wasn't talking about sperm in her mouth. That's not the point.

"Cloud (on my Tongue)" here could have double meaning; sperm might be one of it, but I just don't think the sperm is its primary meaning, its more important meaning.
    Don't worry, I know what you meant! I think the 'cloud' can have several meanings: the formlessness of their relationship, the premature possibilities, the lack of definition and the presence of fantasy. I had just never thought of the possibility of sperm before and it amused me. =)

To ME, this song is about something permanently changing you and accepting that change however it effects you. Or just accepting yourself in general...idk.

Means something different to errybody!

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I always thought the cloud on the tongue was semen, but wondered if I was just being crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by menju56 View Post
    I always thought the cloud on the tongue was semen, but wondered if I was just being crazy.
    Now you know you're not crazy (or you're not the only one who's crazy).

Anyway, I forgot to mention the following thing. Has someone of you noticed when she sings Circles and circles and circles again... , but after the part Thought I was over the bridge now/I'm over the bridge now, yeah/Iím already in, this "circles" (precisely "c" and "s") sounds wet? Like she has saliva in her mouth or something. You know what I'm talking about?

I know she has a drooling "problem", but I don't recall hearing it in some studio version of a song, except here, in CoMT. And it was driving me nuts some time until I thought it was deliberately left that way, because of that cloud. Or it was just an omission?

I always saw the "cloud" as something that makes it impossible to talk, to express your feelings. Kind of like "cat's got your tongue."

"He goes then it goes" = whenever he leaves, I unfreeze and somehow find my voice again. And it's frustrating.

One of those songs that haunts. Even when you don't listen to it as often as you used to, or don't think of it as much as you wish you did, it still dances on the periphery of your consciousness. One of those Tori tracks that changed me, corny as it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by YourShade View Post
    I always saw the "cloud" as something that makes it impossible to talk, to express your feelings. Kind of like "cat's got your tongue."

"He goes then it goes" = whenever he leaves, I unfreeze and somehow find my voice again. And it's frustrating.
    I see the lyrics more in this light as well. There's something that is preventing her from saying what she wants when he's around. Then "he goes" and her inability to speak her mind "goes" as well. It's as if she allows another part of her to take over when he comes "knocking on her kitchen door." She knows that the relationship is pointless. She knows that this guy has been with a long list of girls. He can't hide that fact, and she can't hide the fact that she still wants to fuck him, even if the affair will never turn into something more.

Also, the song contrasts cold and warmth. "Leave me with your Borneo, I don't need much to keep me warm... kiss the violets as they're waking up." Although he is not going to be the love of her life, he brings warmth and comfort in the sexual sense. He brings warmth and comfort to a whole lotta girls who are "freezing cold" when he leaves.

In addition to him leaving the other girls "cold." There may have been a threesome involved with this man, or at least the idea of a threesome. "It won't be fair if I hate her, if I ate her..." By analyzing that line it seems as though he wanted - or did - bring some "cold" woman with him, either physically or mentally... but I believe there had to have at least been a conversation between Tori and this man about bringing another woman into the bedroom. I don't think Tori went for it. I believe the other woman had deeper feelings for this man than Tori did. Perhaps Tori knew that the girl would have accepted a threesome just to be sexually involved with the guy, and Tori knew it wasn't fair to this woman to put her through such misery. Maybe the other woman was actually in love with him. Who knows?

It's such a great song... I love the idea of semen sleeping on her tongue as a double metaphor, and it's just so dirty for such a pretty song!

I'm pretty sure he said "Killdren". Stone's Avatar
    Took a little vacation with the boy who is a fierce advocate for feminism so we talked about it.
    I don't personally like the subject because 1) I feel somewhat ignorant about it (although I do recognize why and how streams of feminism are and have been important) and 2) I don't personally care for any -ism and/or its radicalization.

That said, as the conversation turned into a 10-hour nurturing debate on feminism, gender inequality (which goes both ways in many instances) and the need for new terms to expand the way we see and embrace our differences and humanity, Cloud on my Tongue was lit up in my brain.

I started translating the lyrics for him during the most beautiful sunset and we both tried to make sense of them. So I concluded that Cloud on my Tongue is probably not only Tori's most feminist song, but Under the Pink (title at which he chuckled in a good way) is probably her most feminist album, too.

Someone's knocking on my kitchen door- leave the wood outside.

In this context, that seems pretty self-explanatory. I am where I am supposed to be, where society wants me and so therefore I am currently here. Someone knocks on the door. But leave the wood outside. All the girls here are freezing cold- like I am or I was. The Borneo is the memory of you. And that's enough to keep me warm at this point. I will be an outsider for the duration of my song. I am trying to organize our circle.

But don't stop what you're doing. You've been taught this ugly way. And I get it. But bring the girls in your hair, those annoying feminists that are in your hair, to my shelter, to my hideout. I won't be enemies with the other girls. It won't be fair. If i eat her up.
    You can go now that they're here.

You have already reached privilege. I'll be wearing your tattoo of inequality. I will be marked for life by this.
    You are there, too.

I got a cloud that is sleeping and as soon as he goes, rain will start to pour down. I will be able to finally express my feelings, among these girls.
    Kiss these girls. Welcome them into awareness.

I don't need much to keep me warm.

What I just created in my song and for my girls is a circle. We're already in this circle. You don't belong here. You can go now.

The boy told me (IIRC) that early feminist gatherings were called "circles".

Of course the song still remains open to interpretation.
    Part of the song could talk about how a relationship is affected by societal roles expected of each gender (which to me is very clear Pretty Good Year is about). And we can't deny the feminist expression of God.

Anyway. I know that we brainstormed for many hours about the whole album. And I'm happy he doesn't think I'm crazy, but is actually very curious to listen to Tori now. Ū†ĹŪłā

This song is so gorgeous. I love the line "leave me the way I was before."

I see this as being about wanting to access the feeling of being with somebody, that warmth, that energy of them, without letting them in to wreck your life, but finding them hard to resist. Like, "I know you're not right for me, but thinking about you takes me somewhere that feels good" So the "you're already in there" line means, to me, that "you are already under my skin & I am fucked up over you whether you are actually here or not"

But I love how poetic this song is, that image of the kitchen door, the snow, girls in the hair. So beautiful.
    I miss, I miss,/how you'd sigh yourself to sleep
    When I raked the springtime /across your sheets