Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Janelle Monae

Got my ticket for her show at the Greek Theater, on June 28th...woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    The film and album are amazing.
    Tori's Native Invader was an album that helped me find a part of me that I thought was lost and Dirty Computer is all about being your authentic self and not giving a fuck if people like it or not. For both of these albums to have come into my life in the last year has been auspicious as fuck.
    You may not want to answer as I know it’s personal, but what did NI help you find you’d thought you lost? I’m fascinated by that kind of power music has.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    I wish the spoken part of Pynk, in the video, was on the album. *sigh* It's so good.

entertaining in its outrage Volta's Avatar
    Janelle Monae hasn't always been my favorite singer. "Tightrope" took the nation by storm but it didn't really do much for me.
    I always thought she had everything else: an undeniable confidence, mad style, a great look... but the content was never as good as the packaging it came in.
    For me. I couldn't get down with the Arch/Android - Electric Lady style.

Her acting career.. completely different story. She's phenomenal.

With Dirty Computer she's finally given me some songs I can replay and sing along to. And I'm sure that people probably don't like this album for all the reasons I do. There are some real contemporary R&B/HipHop songs. And it suits her so well.

"I Like That" is my main jam right now. The lyrics are of a quality I've never gotten from her before. And it's a beautiful vocal.
    "Django Jane" is so good I wish there were a couple more just rap songs on the album. Again, lyrically.. WOW
    "Americans" "So Afraid" and "Pynk" are the other highlights for me.
    Last edited by Volta; 04-30-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    Who said you were evil?
    My SAT scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    You may not want to answer as I know it’s personal, but what did NI help you find you’d thought you lost? I’m fascinated by that kind of power music has.
    @Adam
    I'm a dad of a 4 year old, so partvofvitvhas been coming out of the last few years of a real surrender of self-interest. Everything that I felt passionate about was put on hold. Whether it needed to happen to the extent it did is debatable, but I really very much lost myself becoming a parent.
    Native Invader helped me find it again. I could probably write something much longer about it, but this is the Janelle Monae thread, I will will save it....
    All I want to be is the very best machine I can be.

^ thanks. I can totally see how that album would ignite that in you again.
    The Landslide Never Brought, Brought Me Down

Long-time Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    I wish the spoken part of Pynk, in the video, was on the album. *sigh* It's so good.
    Same here! It's beautiful.

I'm so impressed with Dirty Computer--this is definitely her best album, and I REALLY liked both The ArchAndroid and The Electric Lady, so that's saying a lot. This is my favorite album of the year so far.

The range of styles she is able to incorporate (seamlessly!) into her music is really quite something. I know lots of talented artists able to convincingly genre-hop automatically get compared to Prince, but I think the comparisons are actually warranted here. And there is an urgency behind this new album that feels personal and powerful. I love that she's managed to release an album that is her most political album so far and also her most fun and beautiful. She's also pulled off a neat trick in enlisting several big-name collaborators and making it very clear that she is the star of the show.

The only song I haven't totally gotten into yet is "I Got the Juice," but it's growing on me. Different songs have been getting stuck in my head over the last week or so. I particularly love "Make Me Feel," "I Like That," and "Pynk." Initially I thought the line about squirt guns in "Screwed" was kind of goofy, but now I feel like that's part of its charm and I LOVE that song.

Quote Originally Posted by John's Face View Post
    @Adam
    I'm a dad of a 4 year old, so partvofvitvhas been coming out of the last few years of a real surrender of self-interest. Everything that I felt passionate about was put on hold. Whether it needed to happen to the extent it did is debatable, but I really very much lost myself becoming a parent.
    Native Invader helped me find it again. I could probably write something much longer about it, but this is the Janelle Monae thread, I will will save it....
    I've had some similar experiences. I have two kids, five and one. I also felt that so much of what I was passionate about in life was put on hold and some of those things happened to be crucial and basically the fundamentals of my coping skills. To become somewhat selfless and altruistic without losing yourself is difficult, at least for me. I'm still trying to find the balance. Last August Reindeer King hit me like a ton of bricks and left me a sobbing wreck. I'm really not a crying type but in that moment I kind of realized how much of my old self had faded. It was a very empowering moment.
    Last edited by MrQuin; 05-15-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrQuin View Post
    I've had some similar experiences. I have two kids, five and one. I also felt that so much of what I was passionate about in life was put on hold and some of those things happened to be crucial and basically the fundamentals of my coping skills. To become somewhat selfless and altruistic without losing yourself is difficult, at least for me. I'm still trying to find the balance. Last August Reindeer King hit me like a ton of bricks and left me a sobbing wreck. I'm really not a crying type but in that moment I kind of realized how much of my old self had faded. It was a very empowering moment.
    YES! Reindeer King and Cloud Riders! The whole second section about secrets of trees, and "once I could hear them singing" was so much me. Also I turned 40 last year and was waiting for this huge change in my life (like they say happens when you turn 40) and the album was instrumental in helping me realize that if I wanted my life to magically change at 40, then I had to make it happen myself.

Seeing her tonight in Portland! The pics from Seattle look amazing! So excited!

^ Have a blast!!! I'm so looking forward to the LA show.

Have a great time guys! I'll look forward to your reports! I'm seeing her in London but it's ages away. Getting tickets was so stressful!
    Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without adding, "You're making a scene."

Double post
    Last edited by John's Face; 06-14-2018 at 11:33 PM.

It was a fucking transcendent experience.
    This was my second time seeing her and it is an honor to be in her presence. She is so full of passion and vitality and she truly brings it.
    What a great way to kickoff Portland's Pride weekend. So many of the beautiful gays in the audience. And she worked it.
    She did literally every song from Dirty Computer (except Dirty Computer the song was a recording and it opens the show) plus Q.U.E.E.N, Electric Lady, Yoga, Cold War and Tightrope.
    She gave several small speeches, all about love and living authentically.
    Backup dancers were fabulous, wardrobe, fabulous.
    So good. So fucking good.