Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Janelle Monae

Janelle Monae

Is anyone else in love with her right now? I think she is touring with Erykah Badu right now. She is incredible! New album out called Arch Android...

Please watch my favourite (gets intense and incredible after 3:30):

Last edited by Beelust; 06-16-2010 at 02:04 AM.

I might be slightly obsessed with Cold War lately.

Me too! Cold War was one of my instant favorites.

She reminds me of a little firecracker. I wish I had the opportunity to catch her and Erykah this tour. I'm realllllyyyy missing out and bummed.

We'll see how brave you are. Bluebell's Avatar
    "Cold War" is my favourite, too. It even surpasses "Tightrope," for me, which is what hooked me on her in the first place.

The first time I saw Janelle was when she was performing Tightrope on a late night talk show. I hated it. (Go figure.)

What kind of fuckery is this? emptytuileries's Avatar
    A lot of people are comparing The ArchAndroid to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, which is think is pretty fair. It's one of the few concept albums (nowadays anyway) that doesn't come off as pompous and unnecessarily strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
    "Cold War" is my favourite, too. It even surpasses "Tightrope," for me, which is what hooked me on her in the first place.
    I blame you for my new obsession, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    The first time I saw Janelle was when she was performing Tightrope on a late night talk show. I hated it. (Go figure.)
    I saw the video on The Ledge (srsly MuchMusic, just call it the Wedge still and make the show 2 hours) and it didn't wow me, but I thought it was ok. But now, see above, re: obsession.

Still obsessed with this album/her. Just brilliant, start to finish. She really has an amazing set of pipes.

I can definitely get behind the Lauryn Hill comparisons. I think Janelle's pulled off something much greater though...the album is just jaw dropping it's so good.

I haven't listened to the new album nearly enough to comment on that yet, but I must say I have a lot of respect for Janelle Monae after an encounter she had with one of my friends. He went to see her open for No Doubt and was tweeting about how amazing her performance was. Her people contacted him and offered him a bunch of signed merchandise. So, he met up with them and they brought him into this room to give him the merch, and she's just sitting there casually playing the piano. Aside from the parts she filmed for her website, which included them singing a song together that was new at the time, she hung out and chatted with him for quite a while after the cameras were off. I think it's very cool that she's so warm and open to that type of experience, and has that level of respect for her fans.

^^^Wow! What a cool story.

Every time I've seen her talk, she comes off as incredibly cool, down to earth, and nice.

There are some things I skip, but the album and the first EP have some INCREDIBLE music on them. I actually enjoy some of the ballads as much as the uptempo numbers. Sir Greendown, Mushrooms and Roses, Oh Maker, and 57821 don't get nearly enough love.

(Cold War rules everything, though).
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Lyrical acuity and mum-smarts menju56's Avatar
    I think 57821 is absolutely brilliant and completely unexpected.

I love that one. And the two closers, Say You'll Go and Babopbyeya. Gorgeous.

I think the album will be remembered very fondly in years to come, and I really think that this is the beginning of a highly esteemed career. It's so exciting! I need Suite IV now now now.

I used the album to calm myself down AND pep myself up yesterday. Good times.