Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Janelle Monae

This album is an absolute ride! I love it from start to finish, as long as it is. It'll definitely be ranked pretty high on my year-end list, mostly because I can't seem to pick a favorite... I oscillate between Faster, Dance Or Die, 57821, Oh Maker, Cold War and Locked Inside all the time!

It's an incredible album and just breezes by for me. Also, each song flows into each other so well and considering all the ground she covers; that's quite a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by sara View Post
    I might be slightly obsessed with Cold War lately.
    Yeah, its been an obsession of mine for quite some time as well.

I think Janelle is fantastic and extremely creative. Her newest album has a little bit of everything, without a single dull moment. Currently, Come Alive (War of The Roses) is my favorite track (well... apart from Cold War, that is) It's just so much fun! And totally unexpected.

Just so everyone knows, Janelle appears on the track 'Be Still' from the new Big Boi album. It is good.

looks like she's doing a co-headlining tour with Of Montreal.

Sounds pretty cool the way they're approaching the show.

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uskidsknow View Post
    looks like she's doing a co-headlining tour with Of Montreal.

Sounds pretty cool the way they're approaching the show.
    Ahhhh..!! Pitchfork.com always freezes on me @ work.. are there any dates posted?

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BettahDevil View Post
    Ahhhh..!! Pitchfork.com always freezes on me @ work.. are there any dates posted?
    09-13 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    09-14 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
    09-15 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
    09-16 Boston, MA - House of Blues
    09-17 New York, NY - Terminal 5
    09-18 New York, NY - Terminal 5
    09-19 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
    09-21 Covington, KY - Madison Theatre
    09-22 Urbana, IL - Canopy Club
    09-23 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
    09-24 Milwaukee, WI - Pabst Theatre
    09-26 Nashville, TN - Cannery Ballroom
    10-21 St. Louis, MO - Pageant
    10-22 Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
    10-23 Lawrence, KS - Liberty Hall
    10-24 Denver, CO - The Ogden Theater
    10-25 Salt Lake City, UT - The Complex
    10-27 Seattle, WA - The Paramount
    10-28 Portland, OR - Roseland
    10-30 Los Angeles, CA - Palladium
    11-01 Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theatre
    11-02 Dallas, TX - The Granada Theatre
    11-03 Austin, TX - East Side Drive In
    11-04 Houston, TX - Numbers
    11-05 Oxford, MS - The Lyric

Awesome news! I just bought tickets for the Boston show for me and my brother.

Damn I wish she'd come to Vancouver!!

^ Me too!

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    And another absolutely amazing artist not coming to Phoenix! Horray!

I reallly need to move out of this state

edit: Thanks for posting the dates orbiting

thundering blissful towards death stillorbiting's Avatar
    Janelle is the top trending topic on Twitter right now. Did she do something? All the posts I'm reading are just people asking the same question I am. No actual information. Random!

Quote Originally Posted by stillorbiting View Post
    Janelle is the top trending topic on Twitter right now. Did she do something? All the posts I'm reading are just people asking the same question I am. No actual information. Random!
    I don't understand how "trending" topics actually work. Earlier today, Dolores Umbridge and Luna Lovegood were both trending. It warmed my heart, as an HP fan, but there was no actual reason for it that I could tell.

I really wish Janelle was coming close to Florida. I hear nothing but worshipful praise for her live show.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

No Toronto date!! *face palm*

I think it's about time that I move my ass to Boston. I can't wait for a year from now when Canada kicks me out!

Unfortunately, I can't copy and paste this photo. Janelle and her mama with Erykah. Cute!!

Artist of the Week: Janelle Monae
    The quirky diva has a hit with her unique blend of art-rock, R&B and sci-fi – and made fans out of everyone from Big Boi to Obama

By Christian Hoard (Rolling Stone)

Janelle MonŠe is walking through midtown Manhattan on the day before the release of her second album, The ArchAndroid. Barely five feet tall, dressed in all white and wearing her hair in her usual Fifties-style quiff, MonŠe is recognized by two excited teenage girls, two men in their Thirties, and a fifty-something-year-old black man who says he'll be in line at midnight to buy The ArchAndroid. MonŠe chats with each, and later she lets slip the name of her most famous admirer: Barack Obama. "People that worked in his campaign have told us he is very aware of me," she says. "He's a fan." (The White House did not respond to a request for confirmation.)

MonŠe, 24, is a diva with a little something for everyone — an R&B star who’s also an art-rocker, a Broadway belter and a sci-fi nerd. Set in the year 2719, The ArchAndroid is a concept album about a robot named Cindi Mayweather, who is persecuted by humans but proves to be a Messianic figure for the denizens of a town called Metropolis. MonŠe dreamt up the basics of the story after watching Metropolis, Fritz Lang's 1927 classic set in a dystopian future. "It's a black and white German expressionist film, but it represents what we’re still going through," MonŠe says. "It's about the battle between the haves and the have-nots."

The Archandroid, which debuted at Number 17 on the charts, is full of vibrantly outrť soul jams, from the funk-pumping single "Tightrope" (which features OutKast’s Big Boi) to the surrealistic pop of "Make the Bus," written by Kevin Barnes of the psych-rock band Of Montreal. "It’s almost like she invented a new art form," says Barnes, who met MonŠe after an Of Montreal show and bonded with her over a shared love of Stevie Wonder and white stallions (MonŠe rode one in the video for "Many Moons"; Barnes sang atop one during a concert). "She's the real deal — no photoshop needed, no Auto-Tune needed."

MonŠe (born Janelle MonŠe Robinson) grew up in Kansas City, Kansas as the daughter of a janitor mother and a crack-addicted father. Her dad’s addiction made for rough times — MonŠe's family often had to live with her grandmother — but she was an incredibly precocious kid, devouring P-Funk Records and Twilight Zone re-runs, writing plays about anthropomorphic plants, and performing in musicals like "The Wiz."

Her breakthrough moment came after she’d moved to Atlanta for college. MonŠe jumped onstage at an open mic night and sang Roberta Flack’s "Killing me Softly." Big Boi was in the audience. "He came up and said, 'Man, that was inspiring!'" MonŠe says. "He and Andrť 3000 featured me on two songs on the Idlewild soundtrack." Later, Diddy took interest, hitting MonŠe up on MySpace, flying to Atlanta to catch one of her gigs and signing her to a distribution deal with Bad Boy records.

Around the time of the Diddy deal, MonŠe conjured up her current image: Onstage, she wears a black suit, string tie and saddle shoes, making for a retro style that plays against her futuristic music. "I call it my 'uniform,'" MonŠe says. "My mother was a janitor and my father collected trash, so I wear a uniform too." As for the hair, MonŠe just stumbled across the look while experimenting with different styles. An Atlanta friend invented a device for her that sculpts the plume automatically. "It's like a toaster," MonŠe says. "You just stick your head into it."

MonŠe’s sci-fi weirdness can feel a bit forced; when asked if she still attends church (she was raised Baptist), she only says, "I attend an Android community church in Metropolis." She gives a similar answer when asked about her sexuality (her outrť look and penchant for pants over skirts has caused some to wonder if she’s gay). "The lesbian community has tried to claim me," she says. "But I only date androids. Nothing like an android — they don’t cheat on you."

But MonŠe also believes — quite plausibly — that she will help redefine what’s possible for black female performers. "I'm trying to open doors for girls who look like myself and have been told they can’t sing about this or that," she says.

Lulz. I've totally been getting a gay vibe from her, and not just because she's in a tux.