Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Janelle Monae

I think that last thing she just said is possibly the most important. More than any artist I can think of recently she's jumping from genre to genre, all effortlessly. I can't think of many black women singing rock or pop music, let along also combining it with soul and hip hop. what a genius she is.

i think my favorite part about her whole thing is that it's genuine. IT's not some schtick someone put together in order to market her (i'm looking at you, avril lavigne). she's genuinely quirky and weird and likes lots of different things that comes across in her work.

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNOvGbEzmo

Live performance of Mushrooms & Roses! Fantastic. There's some other amazing high quality videos from the same show if you look at the user's page.

I love her SO much. Just wanted to add that.

I'm addicted to Tightrope and getting to know the album. I figure it's gonna take a while to absorb it, since it's so long.

It's too long, really. And the last song is unnecessary, IMO. But it's still amazing.
    Sound is the blood between me and you

The last song is Very Necessary. !!!

I'm a creep I'm a weirdo

http://www.accesshollywood.com/janel..._article_34809

This bit is exciting!!

Janelle’s own work is still just beginning — the busy vocalist’s tour hits the road in September and she’s already back in the studio. Whispers of Grammy nominations have already begun, but for all her new-found success, the word “relax” doesn’t seem to be in the singer’s vocabulary.

“We’re shooting a video for every song,” she said. “We’re already working on more music.”

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    A video for every song!! She's bringing back the "long form music video".. I effin' love it. Cannot wait. The album SO needs a video companion.

VISUALETTES!!!

burning up the bible BettahDevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No you don't, Oprah. View Post
    VISUALETTES!!!
    Haha! As I posting in response to that article, I thought to myself "who else did music videos to their entire album recently"... and I TOTALLY forgot all about AATS. Oh snap. That says alot. Sorry T!

saldfjlkj AATS. I love Many Moons and Tightrope! Shows there is apparently much more to do in concept album VISUALETTES than tromp around public voguing in haute couture while xanaxed out of your skull. And then there's the fact that Janelle apparently has one outfit and hairdo.

Although I did like all the runway Janes in the Many Moons vid...

yes. She needs to do a Red Shoes type film, but better!
    Sound is the blood between me and you

Turn Loose the Heaven Within
    I just purchased the album a few days ago and cannot.stop.listening to "Cold War" One of my favorite songs now-fucking amazing.