Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: George Martin's Game of Thrones

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar

George Martin's Game of Thrones

I didn't see a topic on this and even if it's maybe too early I'd like to be the first to talk about this series.

I read the first three books and I so loved them. Since the book series is progressing so slowly I avoided reading tha fourth one, too much time had passed when it was released and now I'd rather prefer to read them all from the start than trying to remember details I should know.

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming series: the rumours about it where around for years and I think that a story like this deserved to be put on screen in some way.
    Anyhow I'm afraid that such richness of details and events could be lost in the transposition, not to mention the fact that I don't think each actor chosen for the roles could ever satisfy my or any other reader's vision... but that's a problem related to whatever books you pick.

Then there's to consider that it's a risky project: the TV series is launched when the books series has not come to an end yet. I'd really be sad if it goes well on TV long enough to reach the books timeline and then take a turn away from them because the last books have not yet been written.

So, I'm both excited by the event and sceptical.

The premiere is set for April 17th.

Here's the official site: Game of Thrones - HBO Homepage

Anyone here interested in this series?

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    Me me! Pretty excited about it! Though it's been so long since I read them that I only remember glimpses of the story, which I suppose, is gonna make me bitch less about the TV Show - I can't remember most of the stuff to compare it with.

I should really read them again, but since the next book is not on it's way in the slightest, I'm gonna sit this one out. I didn't like The Feast For Crows that much anyways.

He's probably gonna do a Robert Jordan on us. I'm not holding my breath on the continuation. Especially, since comments that came from him in the past years of the progress he was making were self-contradicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
    I read the first three books and I so loved them. Since the book series is progressing so slowly I avoided reading tha fourth one, too much time had passed when it was released and now I'd rather prefer to read them all from the start than trying to remember details I should know.

I have mixed feelings about the upcoming series: the rumours about it where around for years and I think that a story like this deserved to be put on screen in some way.
    Anyhow I'm afraid that such richness of details and events could be lost in the transposition, not to mention the fact that I don't think each actor chosen for the roles could ever satisfy my or any other reader's vision... but that's a problem related to whatever books you pick.

[/URL]

Anyone here interested in this series?
    I'm very excited about this, and I'm not skeptical at all that it has been made into a series. I think that format it much better than say a film. Of course there will be things left out, but sometimes it's for the better.
    There's a rumour that the fifth book is being released this autumn, but you know, every years there is always a rumour about a possible release date.

Also, I think they couldn't have a picked a better actor to play Ned Stark than Sean Bean, imo.

And I had my doubts about Cercei and Jamie, but seeing pictures from the film set I think they will do good.

^ About the actors, from what I've seen so far I don't like the choices made for Daenerys and Jon Snow, given that Jon Snow isn't a characcter I really like, the actor makes me feel I'll like him even less.

I like the choice for Cersei from what I've seen in the trailers. I'll wait to see the first episodes to develop an opinion on Ned and Cat.

Oh! And Tyrion I believe will be great!

I cannot WAIT for this, especially because Benioff and Weiss are so heavily involved, and Jane Espenson, as well. I think it's going to be BITCHING.
    "See everything as an illusion, and enjoy it even though you are not of it."
    ~Alanis Morissette, paraphrased

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    I have no idea what it's about, but the whole swords and horses and potential for bloodletting or magic has it's appeal. I will be tuning in to see if tells a good story.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Well, just as I hoped, the fifth book in the series is being released July 12.

Great I hope we won't have to wait too long for the next two books... I'd really like to see the end of this story.

So psyched about both the show and the new book release that I may postpone other things I wanted to read and blow through the whole series again before Dragons comes out. I at least need to re-read Feast for Crows, because I don't remember being all that impressed or satisfied by it, which was frustrating coming off the BRILLIANCE that is Storm of Swords.

(Also, I keep trolling and trolling for this, but so far there has been NO leak, as far as I can tell, of the GoT pilot. Frustrating!!)

^ I planned to wait until all the books are out (and I know it could be YEARS!) because everytime I forget details and in those books there are lots of them. I'll re-read them all along with the last ones when he's finished writing or I could go crazy

I read somewhere (now I can't remember where) a couple of days ago that they'll be showing the first 15 minutes of the pilot on April 3.

HBO released little characters introductions.

Here they are:

Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

Sansa Stark

Arya Stark

Bran Stark

Jon Snow

Robert Baratheon

Cersei Lannister

Tyrion Lannister

Daenerys Targaryen

Viserys Targaryen

Khal Drogo

The only one I'm not sure about is the woman playing Catelyn (or, excuse me, CATlyn...whatever, that pronunciation is obnoxious and I refuse to acknowledge it). That actress is a dead ringer for Joan Allen, and I just always pictured Catelyn a little softer (in look, not in personality). I'm sad that Jennifer Ehle is no longer in the role, she would have been a PERFECT Catelyn. Trying to keep my mind open about it, though!

Everybody else seems pretty perfect. I'm REAL excited for Lena Headey as Cersei!!!!

(Also, I guess Rob Stark doesn't get an intro?)

*subscribes*

I you, Tyrion, Arya and Jon Snow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    The only one I'm not sure about is the woman playing Catelyn (or, excuse me, CATlyn...whatever, that pronunciation is obnoxious and I refuse to acknowledge it). That actress is a dead ringer for Joan Allen, and I just always pictured Catelyn a little softer (in look, not in personality). I'm sad that Jennifer Ehle is no longer in the role, she would have been a PERFECT Catelyn. Trying to keep my mind open about it, though!

Everybody else seems pretty perfect. I'm REAL excited for Lena Headey as Cersei!!!!
    I'm not convinced too by this actress and I also pictured Jon Snow slightly differently. I'm sad for Cat because she's one of my favourite characters, I would have liked someone just a little more charismatic for that role.
    For Cersei they chose well. I'm not totally satisfied with Ned Stark.
    And just something I hate: Daenerys' eyebrows. Everytime I look at that girl I can't help but picture Anne Hathaway as the White Queen in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland... and Daenerys isn't a fav of mine so this makes me want to skip every part she's in before the series begins

Quote Originally Posted by The Markness View Post
    (Also, I guess Rob Stark doesn't get an intro?)
    Apparently not... and I'm a little disappointed thaat Jaime Lannister didn't have his intro too. I believed he deserved it more than Viserys Targaryen for example.