Page 149 of 149 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 2235

Thread: George Martin's Game of Thrones

OK, NOW I'm gonna watch this.

Sometimes, I get to following cultural stories about things I've not seen. And this story was everywhere. In particular, I was online while the final episode was playing. I wanted to find out who would win! I was rooting for Arya, because in the one episode I saw, she stood out. Maisie is going places. But then, of course, THAT happened. And almost immediately, a long story appeared on the Entertainment Weekly site, about how Emilia Clarke had come to terms with Dany's fate. And, well, it was riveting. I thought, this girl is DEEP. In the next few days, I read the story she wrote for The New Yorker about having two brain aneurysms that damned near killed her. And I hit YouTube and watched her be effortlessly charming on talk shows.

And that was that. I love Emilia Clarke.

Not "in love"; I ain't no fuckin' stalker. Actress crush, like Jen or Jess or Brie. But man, Emilia is just so neat. Smart and funny and kind and real and brave. And her connection to the character that made her a star fascinates me. So I want to see how that developed. And really, the whole cast seems very cool, with interesting ideas about What It All Meant. So I'm interested.

I plan to watch it pretty quickly. I'll let you all know if you were right about the last season sucking donkeys.
    At my core, I think we're gonna be OK.

Barack Hussein Obama

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Whoa whoa whoa - who has watched "The Last Watch" ("making of" season 8 doc, now available).

During the table read of the finale, Jon stabs Dany, then immediately after that, the producer who has been narrating during the read says "End of Game of Thrones".

Say WHAT?! What do we know about this?!

I don’t understand. Are you saying that everything after that was just added by the writers and not told to them by GRRM?

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Maybe it does suggest they went off of GRRM's storyline - they certainly changed the ending. At least if I understand correctly what I think I saw (somewhere around the 15 minute mark)

I think he just said it for dramatic effect. They never would have planned to end the story there. What I love in that clip is how he looks across the table, and she smiles sadly at him and nods.

Just watched the first three episodes. It's funny how they make Ned Stark such a great guy, so people will be that much sadder when they off him.

Oh, and I fucking hate Dany's brother. I hope that he's killed in a really ugly way.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Steve SFM View Post
    I hope that he's killed in a really ugly way.
    Oh, you'll love it. It was very.......royal.

You've never seen the show?

No! For a long time, I didn't have access to HBO. But I do now, and all of the recent media has intrigued me. I know a lot of the major plot points, but I think I'll still get a lot out of it. It'll be interesting to see it while largely spoiled. And I'm certainly enjoying it so far!

I kinda hope a direwolf takes out the prick brother.

Barack Hussein Obama

Another way of looking at why the last season (or couple of seasons, really) were disappointing. It does make so much sense. When the story turned from an emphasis on the social and institutional structures that characters were required to adapt to or not, back to a conventional character driven story, it certainly lost much of my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by fluteoftheloon View Post
    Oh, you'll love it. It was very.......royal.
    You ain't kidding. That was fucking genius. Lots of creative ways to kill people on this show.

I love how fast Dany is coming into her own. Her relationship with Jorah is so cool. Apparently, Emilia Clarke and Iain Glen are close offscreen, too.

I also love the scenes between Ned and Arya. He loves all his kids, but his bond with her seems especially strong. And, while he does worry about her, he accepts her for who he is, completely. So sweet.

Barack Hussein Obama

Quote Originally Posted by SMMY View Post
    Another way of looking at why the last season (or couple of seasons, really) were disappointing. It does make so much sense. When the story turned from an emphasis on the social and institutional structures that characters were required to adapt to or not, back to a conventional character driven story, it certainly lost much of my interest.
    Interesting essay, but rather unnecessarily nasty in tone. I disagree that the show became and maintained it's popularity because the story telling was solely sociological and not "psychological," as the author puts it. There's always been a healthy dose of both in the show and books. You could argue the imbalance of these two elements is greater in the final two seasons. But when the show ends with a massive change in the way the society of Westeros is governed, it doesn't really give an argument about the show abandoning "sociological" storytelling much ground to stand on.

So. The Red Wedding.

That was pretty fucked up right there.

Barack Hussein Obama

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    ^I love the reactions of people watching for the first time.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Oh yeah, I heard about the reaction videos. I need to go dig some of those up. I know I posted in this thread a little video Maisie Williams made riffing on those. It’s fun to see how the actors on this serious show are such goofballs IRL.

But the Red Wedding is amazing. SO beautifully staged. That final bit with Catelyn Stark was astounding. Michelle Fairley: SCREWED BY EMMY.

So now I’m past Joffrey’s wedding/murder, which I guess some called The Purple Wedding in honor of Joffrey’s face at the end. God, I was SO happy to see that vicious little shit get his.

Barack Hussein Obama

You know what’s really cool? When Dany sets a big fucking fire and then emerges from the middle of it, naked but unscathed, causing people to worship her. Great party trick.

Oh, and the latest person who needs to die horribly? Ramsey Bolton. And I hope it happens really goddamned soon.

Barack Hussein Obama

What episode are you on now? Ramsay dies towards the end of season 6. It's good, but you don't really see the actual thing. Still satisfying though.