Page 140 of 150 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2236

Thread: George Martin's Game of Thrones

And in the evening it's. . . Andrea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Quick take: Shadefest 2019
    "I used to think you were the cleverest man alive"

ETA: I can't wait to watch it again.
    Last edited by Andrea; 04-15-2019 at 12:17 PM.

Gone Andromeda grapefruit_is_winning's Avatar
    Yay! Someone out here who is watching! Thanks @Andrea

Here are my thoughts about the episode:

1) Tyrion - it's like the writers have forgotten him! Someone in the webosphere said "at this point he's just hanging around for a final confrontation with Cersei"... .sounds about right to me
    2) The dragons thing - "a whole new world" much? Gah. That was terrible. Didn't land at ALL for me, felt totally out of step with the entire series.
    3) It seems clear the writers are building Sansa up (which would be cool with me if it didn't feel so forced and inorganic, I do like Sansa, but is she really "the smartest person [Arya] knows?")
    4) It seems equally clear to me the writers are focusing on underscoring the dark side of Daenerys' ambitions
    5) I think I hate Bran/3ER. If you know something, say something! Sheesh
    6) Sam was amazing. That was the best thing about the episode, along with Arya and Jon reuniting, and Arya and the Hound reuniting

Would love to hear your thoughts as well!

The best part for me was “I’ve always had blue eyes!”

Lots of people speculating about the spiral symbol left by the Night King, and how similar it is to

Unless there is a time travel aspect involved, this is impossible. According to the children of the forest, the Night King was created to help them fight against the first men, centuries before any of the houses were even created.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    Some humorous things in this Reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk

Unless there is a time travel aspect involved, this is impossible. According to the children of the forest, the Night King was created to help them fight against the first men, centuries before any of the houses were even created.
    True, but is this the original Night King? Have there been many Night Kings? One for each Winter?

I thought the episodes were going to be longer than an hour since there are fewer of them.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post

1) Tyrion - it's like the writers have forgotten him! Someone in the webosphere said "at this point he's just hanging around for a final confrontation with Cersei"... .sounds about right to me

2) The dragons thing - "a whole new world" much? Gah. That was terrible. Didn't land at ALL for me, felt totally out of step with the entire series.

3) It seems clear the writers are building Sansa up (which would be cool with me if it didn't feel so forced and inorganic, I do like Sansa, but is she really "the smartest person [Arya] knows?")
    1. I totally agree. It's sad that he used to carry the show on most nights, and now he's sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

2. I thought the part at the end when the dragons were getting jealous was funny, but the rest, especially the dialogue and complete lack of chemistry between them, was cringeworthy.

3. IDK. Sansa totally outmaneuvered Ramsy and Little Finger. There was some speculation that LF would sit the throne because he new how to play the game the best. I can see where Arya would come up with that, especially since she's more of a weapon and respects Sansa's ability to strategize in a way she might not be able to because of her impulsiveness.

Long-time Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    I thought the episodes were going to be longer than an hour since there are fewer of them.
    Episodes 3-6 will each be around 80 minutes long. I had heard the same as you so I looked each episode up on imdb this morning.

strike every chord that you feel Owen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
    1. I totally agree. It's sad that he used to carry the show on most nights, and now he's sitting around twiddling his thumbs.

2. I thought the part at the end when the dragons were getting jealous was funny, but the rest, especially the dialogue and complete lack of chemistry between them, was cringeworthy.

3. IDK. Sansa totally outmaneuvered Ramsy and Little Finger. There was some speculation that LF would sit the throne because he new how to play the game the best. I can see where Arya would come up with that, especially since she's more of a weapon and respects Sansa's ability to strategize in a way she might not be able to because of her impulsiveness.

With the dragons, I didn't see that look as jealousy at all. It looked like total approval, like "We know who you are." They were practically grinning.

These are the episode times. 3 - 6 are basically movie-length.

Episode 1 - 54 minutes
    Episode 2 - 58 minutes
    Episode 3 - 82 minutes
    Episode 4 - 78 minutes
    Episode 5 - 80 minutes
    Episode 6 - 80 minutes

Even with the added time, it feels like they have a lot of ground to cover in five episodes. I feel like there will be a lot of unanswered questions which is typical but also frustrating.

I didn't even consider that. All I saw was the dragons being pissed that she's showing affection to someone else and that someone dragged them all the way north where they're miserable.

I think the heavy-handed, cringeworthy love story stuff is intentionally done to set us up for the inevitability that Dany isn't going to bend the knee to the rightful king. Will she still be in love with Jon when she finds out she's not destined to rule the seven kingdoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea View Post

Interesting. It makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I think the heavy-handed, cringeworthy love story stuff is intentionally done to set us up for the inevitability that Dany isn't going to bend the knee to the rightful king.
    Oh I'm sure you're right about. But I still found it rather unfortunate in the way it was handled.

These are the episode times. 3 - 6 are basically movie-length.

Episode 1 - 54 minutes
    Episode 2 - 58 minutes
    Episode 3 - 82 minutes
    Episode 4 - 78 minutes
    Episode 5 - 80 minutes
    Episode 6 - 80 minutes

Even with the added time, it feels like they have a lot of ground to cover in five episodes. I feel like there will be a lot of unanswered questions which is typical but also frustrating.
    What I don't understand is, why couldn't they just make 7 episodes of regular length? I know they were forced to end the series due to budget limitations or whatever, but clearly they have enough footage to make it at least 7.

Due to budget? Isn't the story simply finished? George RR Martin told them the main story points until the end and they filled in the gaps once they moved past the available books. And originally it was only supposed to be 7 seasons, like there will be 7 books, but they had too many story lines to cram into the usual 10 episodes, that's why they made 13 and split them.
    Last edited by fluteoftheloon; 04-16-2019 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by okyanus View Post
    why couldn't they just make 7 episodes of regular length?
    Are episodes of "regular length" inherently better? I think it's safe to assume they felt the longer length of those episodes better served the show from a storytelling perspective. This is one of the positives about streaming "television" (is it even "television" anymore?! isn't it just "the interwebs" now???) Creators aren't bound to strict time limits in telling their stories, just like it's always been in movies. Some movies are shorter, and some are longer, and this is generally a good thing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by grapefruit_is_winning View Post
    YES!!! I had the same thought straight away hahahaha. It was corny but I admit it did look really really cool.

Lots of people speculating about the spiral symbol left by the Night King, and how similar it is to...
    They might find a way to spin this in some way. The Night King has to have something of a special origin that ties into everything else!! Maybe that character is not even the true night king but a (recruited) knight or something?

I think the heavy-handed, cringeworthy love story stuff is intentionally done to set us up for the inevitability that Dany isn't going to bend the knee to the rightful king. Will she still be in love with Jon when she finds out she's not destined to rule the seven kingdoms?
    Oh I agree, there will be trouble in paradise for sure. Nothing that's good and lovey-dovey ever lasts in GoT I think her exchange with Sam was there to hammer the point that she won't show weakness as a ruler.

---

I watched the last 2 episodes of the previous season before this new one. The change of pace was so different, it did feel like a recap / setting up the pieces /reunion episode. Which is fine, and had some memorable scenes (that final staredown, hoo boy!).
    post28!