Page 3 of 141 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: George Martin's Game of Thrones

Saw that article earlier, what a pile of shit!

Ridic. What an unimaginative twat.

From the comments:

Now if we're strictly talking about the books, then the only fantasy books I've ever been interested in involved vampires and/or witches =)
    Despite the fact that 80 percent of the reading market is women, I'd say that women and fantasy (outside of Laurell K. Hamilton and Anne Rice) as diametrically opposed was a relatively common stereotype... 15 years ago.

Hee hee, there's a really cute SNL skit with William Shatner where lays into a Trekker convention with the adorable line: "Have you even kissed a girl?" I think for a lot of people, speculative fiction is supposed to be masculine: men running around with their long swords (spaceships for sci-fi), slaying dragons,saving damsels in distress, etc.

Pretty sure LOTR and Harry Potter changed that. And honestly, Star Wars... or even She-Ra I suppose.

Kudos to Martin. It's been a long road, and now you have a TV series!

Even better than I thought it was gonna be.

This is waiting for me on my DVR! I usually love HBO productions so I'm excited to check this one out.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    I loved it... and I want more

HBO series are really great usually and I think this is no less.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    Lived up to the expectations, even though I was watching it with a series zealot who kept commenting negatively on every measly aspect of the show. Can't wait for more!

Btw, just 10 episodes? Nooo, need MOAR.

The Good Book is missing some pages Maeve's Avatar
    10 is a good length although it means they're going to cut some minor parts of the books... I honestly prefer the HBO 10 to 12 episodes format to the regular 20 and more per season.
    The good's all there and there's nothing useless shown on screen.

Is it right, butterfly, they like you better framed and dried?

I haven't read the books but I loved last night's episode. It has me hooked already.

whose wheels are squeaking arsonist samael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
    10 is a good length although it means they're going to cut some minor parts of the books... I honestly prefer the HBO 10 to 12 episodes format to the regular 20 and more per season.
    The good's all there and there's nothing useless shown on screen.
    I like that season format as well, i was just hoping for an extra 2-3 episodes. :/

The first episode was everything I had hoped for and more.

The only fault I can see is that maybe it's moving a little too fast? I was not expecting THAT for another episode or so. But with television you've got to get people hooked quicker than you do in a novel, and I think it's doing a great job of that so far.

a succulent Chinese meal lacuna's Avatar
    Fucking loved it. So well done. The cast, the acting, the scenery. All gorgeous. I love the opening credits with the animated map.

I watched it with my mom and got her into it and now she's starting the book. I'm recording it for for my brother since he is without cable and his viewing will probably prompt him to read the book as well.

Find a way to get in the way. MTC's Avatar
    As a vagina owner, I don't like fantasy novels? Guess I need to throw away all my Tolkein, Attanasio, and Eddings... Actually, the sexuals bits are the least interesting parts to me unless there's a political/strategic motivation behind it. Give me dragons, orcs or demons to slay and I'm good.

I liked ep 1. Having not read the book I'm making some guesses here. The impossibly blonde girl and her power grabbing bro are the last of some kind of race. I'm guessing she has some kind of power of some sort other than being impossibly blonde. I wonder why the Queen didn't change her last name? Very progressive for the era it's supposed to be taking place in and not the typical way those things go. The barbarian who marries the impossibly blonde girl, I hope he's more than a one dimensional character. I really like Lady Stark's youngest daughter. The prince seemed like a creepy blond Harry Potter and I'm thinking he's probably up to no good.

Yes I will get around to learning names soon.
    And the ghosts that we knew will flicker from view
    And we'll live a long life

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    ^^I imagine they'll show the backstory of those two. I don't know if you want us to reveal it, but...

I loved it! and I guess I'm not the only one because HBO just renewed it for another season already.

As for the pacing, yeah it went a bit quickly but then again for those who haven't read the book I guess it showed just enough details to show the bigger picture, if you know what I mean. It was a very promising start, and I'm looking forward the rest of the season.

werewolves, not swear-wolves Chalk's Avatar
    oops. double post.