Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: radioheadthread

I saw both shows in Boston..was planning to just do the first night couldn’t resist grabbing a ticket for the second after the first show. I have a playlist of my top 10 favorite songs by them and got to hear 9 of them! Last time they played here was 12 years ago so it was really a treat to get to see them again.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 08-02-2018 at 07:17 PM.

^

I can't help but ask what those 10 songs are, and which ones you got!

Since the show, I've gotten back into listening to them. I had forgotten how much I like Hail to the Thief. For some reason, I was under the impression that it is considered one of their lesser albums, but I think it's a great summary of everything they had done up to that point. It's a really nice blend of their more adventurous electronic approach that they had started incorporating into their work, and echoes of their Bends/OK Computer eras (I'm thinking "There There" and a few others are a lot more straight-forward than most of what was on Kid A and Amnesiac). For a long album, it hangs together really well. This might be sacrilegious, but I think I prefer it to In Rainbows.

Also, Amnesiac is finally growing on me. For some reason I had never really responded to it, but I gave it another listen and it started to open up for me.

^ My top 10 (at the moment, this always changes):

• Street Spirit
    • Talk Show Host
    • Karma Police
    • Let Down
    • Climbing Up the Walls*
    • Everything In Its Right Place
    • Optimistic
    • Idioteque
    • There There
    • 2+2=5

*Climbing is the only one we didn’t get. Definitely not complaining since we got so many other amazing ones like Lucky, You and Whose Army, Reckoner, Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, The Bends, No Surprises, and a ton of songs from In Rainbows (which reminded me what a great album that is despite how heavy my top 10 is on the “classics” so to speak).

Boston setlists behind the spoiler.

I counted and they did 44 different songs between the 2 nights which is pretty nuts.
    Last edited by MikeEP; 08-02-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    Since the show, I've gotten back into listening to them. I had forgotten how much I like Hail to the Thief. For some reason, I was under the impression that it is considered one of their lesser albums, but I think it's a great summary of everything they had done up to that point.
    My issue with Thief is it's too long and a bit all over the place. It has got some killer songs on it, but I really don't think Wolf At The Door is all that, and it's a terrible closing track.

Also, Amnesiac is finally growing on me. For some reason I had never really responded to it, but I gave it another listen and it started to open up for me.
    I had this a few years back. (I say a few... ten? Hard to believe it's not far from twenty years old.) Definitely a grower.

imagine a future and be in it emanate's Avatar
    ^ I will always be appreciative of "A Wolf at the Door" for the phrase "flan in the face," but it was certainly a strange choice for an album closer.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeptheclock View Post
    ^
    I had forgotten how much I like Hail to the Thief. For some reason, I was under the impression that it is considered one of their lesser albums, but I think it's a great summary of everything they had done up to that point. It's a really nice blend of their more adventurous electronic approach that they had started incorporating into their work, and echoes of their Bends/OK Computer eras (I'm thinking "There There" and a few others are a lot more straight-forward than most of what was on Kid A and Amnesiac). For a long album, it hangs together really well. This might be sacrilegious, but I think I prefer it to In Rainbows.
    I love Hail to the Thief too. I agree with @Pete!'s comment that it's scattered and too long though. At least 2 to 3 tracks would've been better off as b-sides (probably The Gloaming, Scatterbrain, and We Suck Young Blood).

Aaw, I love Scatterbrain though. If I was going to cull songs from Thief, it'd be Go To Sleep, Wolf At The Door and We Suck. And I'd put either There There or Myxomatosis as the closing track - Radiohead closers are never big punchy songs, and I think if any album of theirs needs one, it's Thief.

Alt Universe CliqueMember Spikey's Avatar
    Always felt "A Wolf at the Door" was originally the opener of the album - but it doesn't really sit well with the rest of the songs.
    Still one of my fav Radiohead tracks ever though.
    "Replies are a combination of nonsense, unrelated comments and inside jokes"‎

Amnesiac is my favorite Radiohead album. I'm not sure if it's their best, but it's not too far off if it isn't. It was the only album that I listened to while I operated heavy machinery at a super noisy steel door factory. The machines I worked with would usually either cut or bend steel, so they'd make quite the racket. On top of that, there was often a buzzsaw being used nearby. This was many, many years ago and I'd listen to the album on one of these:

DEEKWARE INDYPENDANTS!!! halo eighteen's Avatar
    Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes 2018 US Tour
    Nov 23 - Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
    Nov 24 - Boston, MA - Wang Theatre-Boch Center
    Nov 26 - Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre
    Nov 27 - Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre
    Nov 30 - Washington, DC - John F Kennedy Center
    Dec 1 - Cleveland, OH - Keybank State Theatre
    Dec 2 - Detroit, MI - Masonic Temple Cathedral Theatre
    Dec 4 - Chicago, IL - Chicago Theatre
    Dec 5 - Milwaukee, WI - Riverside Theatre
    Dec 6 - Minneapolis, MN - Northrop
    Dec 8 - St. Louis, MO - Stifel Theatre
    Dec 9 - Kansas City, MO - Arvest Bank Theatre
    Dec 11 - Denver, CO - Paramount Theatre
    Dec 13 - Salt Lake City, UT - The Union
    Dec 15 - San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    Dec 17 - San Diego, CA - The Observatory
    Dec 19 - Los Angeles, CA - Orpheum Theatre
    Dec 20 - Los Angeles, CA - Orpheum Theatre
    Dec 22 - Las Vegas, NV - The Chelsea at the Cosmopolitan

I haven't felt like seeing Radiohead, as a band, in concert but i'm interested in hitting up one of these solo shows.

Daaaam, pre-sale tickets for Milwaukee are somehow sold out in mere minutes!

I'm not even sure if these shows would be worth it for me. Tomorrow's Modern Boxes did absolutely nothing for me... far less than The Eraser and Amok (which I'm also not crazy over). On the other hand, at least these smaller gigs would let me be much more up close for a vastly more affordable price.

First taste of Thom's soundtrack for Luca Guadagnino's remake of Dario Argento's "Suspiria" film. This is gorgeous and such a stark contrast from Goblin's score for the original film.

The song already has a "Best New Track" rating over at Pitchfork:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks...rke-suspirium/

“There’s a way of repeating in music which can hypnotize, and I kept thinking to myself it was a form of making spells. So when I was working in my studio, I was making spells—and that sounds really stupid but that’s how I was thinking about it. It was a sort of freedom I’d not had before: I’m not working in the format of a song or arrangement, I’m just exploring. I’m putting things out into my studio and seeing what my studio is bringing back.”

https://pitchfork.com/news/thom-york...making-spells/

Another "Suspiria" track: